A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How I make my NP dough  (Read 195651 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: How I make my NP dough
« Reply #560 on: December 05, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
Very nice. Is that 3/4 pine? Craig, does the type of wood matter? (obviously not an MDF or particle board lol)

Yes, they are. I think poplar is a better choice, but it's considerably more expensive. Pine is thirstier. 12 hours is about the max I can go in balls before the bottoms get too dry.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #561 on: December 05, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »
The proofing boxes look great. They look too big for a fridge, so do you put them in the cooler basement?

I have a 120qt cooler they fit in along with an ice block.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline steveyruss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm going to try to replicate this tomorrow. However, I only have instant dry yeast available, what sort of amount would be needed? many thanks again.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #563 on: January 12, 2018, 09:59:04 AM »
Thanks for posting this recipe. I'm going to try to replicate this tomorrow. However, I only have instant dry yeast available, what sort of amount would be needed? many thanks again.

When I make this with IDY, I use 0.024%.

This table is handy for converting sourdough to baker's yeast of for finding a starting point with a new recipe: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg511590#msg511590

Offline jizza23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #564 on: January 21, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
Lou, the way I see it, it's somewhat similar to baker's yeast in that you can effectively use it as (1) direct method, or (2) indirect. I don't know exactly where you draw the line between the two, but you get the point - either you are developing substantially all the flavor in the final dough or the culture/levain/preferment/poolish/biga/etc. whatever you want to call it is contributing significant flavor.

I would call what I do a direct method. I keep and active culture in a mason jar that is fed and refreshed on a regular basis (always fed the morning I make dough and I make dough in the evening). The culture/starter I use in the dough comes straight from the mason jar with the culture. There isn't any intermediate step where I take the culture, make a levain or other preferment, and then use that in the dough.
Hey Craig

Quick question. Tried a natural ferment today. 14hr bulk, 12 balls, and the rise isn't looking good, and the dough is really heavy and dense feeling (vs light, airy and fluffy). I used 4% starter (40g on 1000g Caputo).

My question: does it screw things up if your starter uses different flour than your pizza? My sourdough starter is crazy healthy, and going on 3 years now. But it uses wheat/bread flour at 100% hydration, not Caputo. I put a very active 40g in this pizza batch and have essentially no rise after 26 hours at 70 degrees (first bulk then balls).

I made sourdough with this same starter 2 days ago with a perfect rise, but that was the same flour as in the starter. Is that my issue?

I know you switched flours recently, did you switch the flours in your isicha starter too?

Thanks

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #565 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:29 PM »
I don't know the answer to that question. If it was straight white flour, I would say no it doesn't matter, but maybe the wheat makes a difference. I feed mine KAAP, and I never use KAAP for NP.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #566 on: January 21, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
Lou (hotsawce) was having similar trroubles: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49654.msg503195#msg503195

It might be worth reading his posts.

Offline bifi85

« Reply #567 on: January 25, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »
10) Ball the dough (make them tight without tearing the skin) and let ferment another 20-24 hours.

Bulk 36 h / ball 12 h (for more structure).
When I balled the dough, the skin was always tearing. I stretched all 4 sides one by one and folded them in, to get it tighter and more air in it. But the balls were always tearing.
At the end the balls opened itself, but teared some holes and got very thin on some places.

My only question is, what went wrong or what should I do, when my dough tears the skin when I ball it?

My balls had the same texture as the following picture:

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #568 on: January 25, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »
Are you using sourdough?

Offline bifi85

« Reply #569 on: January 25, 2018, 11:34:25 AM »
Yes I do (rye+water etc.). All was fine, till I balled. It was more a cluster than a silky ball.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #570 on: January 25, 2018, 11:44:38 AM »
Yes I do (rye+water etc.). All was fine, till I balled. It was more a cluster than a silky ball.

Every now and then someone has this problem, and I think what it is is that your culture is excessively active when it comes to producing proteolytic enzymes. I think your culture is literally dissolving your dough.

Try the exact same formula and workflow with IDY and see if you have the same problem.

Offline Obsauced

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #571 on: January 25, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
Hey Craig

Quick question. Tried a natural ferment today. 14hr bulk, 12 balls, and the rise isn't looking good, and the dough is really heavy and dense feeling (vs light, airy and fluffy). I used 4% starter (40g on 1000g Caputo).

My question: does it screw things up if your starter uses different flour than your pizza? My sourdough starter is crazy healthy, and going on 3 years now. But it uses wheat/bread flour at 100% hydration, not Caputo. I put a very active 40g in this pizza batch and have essentially no rise after 26 hours at 70 degrees (first bulk then balls).

I made sourdough with this same starter 2 days ago with a perfect rise, but that was the same flour as in the starter. Is that my issue?

I know you switched flours recently, did you switch the flours in your isicha starter too?

Thanks

I never had issues and I use a rye/KABF mixture. maybe trying out more starter. I know where I am my usual 15% got bumped up around 25-30%
instagram.com/obsauced

Offline jizza23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #572 on: February 02, 2018, 12:56:32 AM »
I never had issues and I use a rye/KABF mixture. maybe trying out more starter. I know where I am my usual 15% got bumped up around 25-30%
Thanks, will try 20%

Offline jizza23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #573 on: February 02, 2018, 12:57:34 AM »
I don't know the answer to that question. If it was straight white flour, I would say no it doesn't matter, but maybe the wheat makes a difference. I feed mine KAAP, and I never use KAAP for NP.
Thanks!

Offline jizza23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #574 on: February 02, 2018, 12:57:43 AM »
Lou (hotsawce) was having similar trroubles: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49654.msg503195#msg503195

It might be worth reading his posts.
Thanks again