A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bianco's pizza book  (Read 9501 times)

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: Bianco's pizza book
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »
Going on four years now...
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »
Of all the Bianco pies I've seen the one on the cover is the worst looking by far.  ???
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
Here's an updated link to the book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062224379/?tag=pmak-20

Offline tpr1140

• I Love Pizza!
Chris Bianco's book once again
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 04:25:00 AM »
I noticed on Amazon that Chris Bianco's book: BIANCO: PIZZA, PASTA AND OTHER FOOD I LIKE is again scheduled to be released in hardcover on July 25th 2017.

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 02:24:05 AM »
Amazon Best Sellers in pizza

Online Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
It's shipping now. Mine is on the way.

Offline 3pedals

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 10:00:59 AM »
It's shipping now. Mine is on the way.

Did it actually ship or did it just say preparing for shipment? Mine has said preparing for shipment for the last 2 weeks.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2017, 05:54:27 PM »
Mine shipped and is set to arrive tomorrow. My gut tells me that Bianco will not share his real pizza recipe since he has been guarded about his process, and instead we will get something like this, which doesn't appear to be the real deal:

http://www.marthastewart.com/344334/chris-biancos-pizza-dough

I really hope I'm wrong about this. Either way, hopefully there will be some useful philosophy and some good pizza topping ideas and salad/pasta recipes. What do you guys expect?

Alex

Offline 3pedals

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 10:49:22 AM »
my book has arrived!!

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 11:47:49 AM »
Nice! Does the dough recipe appear legit?

Thanks,

Alex

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
my book has arrived!!
what do u think ?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
Nice! Does the dough recipe appear legit?

Thanks,

Alex

You can see the dough recipe at Amazon in the book preview. It's not his formula or workflow. It's pretty much any old emergency dough. It's also volumetric, so good luck if you try it. Chef's recipes like this are almost always 1) designed for the masses - not the aficionado, and 2) deliberately designed not to fail (not rise). That's what sells books - not real recipes.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
All of these new pizza books have the same home oven recipe. It's all basically the same stuff. Unfortunately, even most high-end restaurant cookbooks are dumbed-down for the masses. Ever read the Eleven Madison Park book? Some of the most cutting edge cuisine reduced to cups and tablespoons.

In fact, I don't think a cookbook exists with the true-to-restaurant process, from prep to preparing components to pickup when serving. It's a shame, particularly with the more advanced cookbooks...who's going to go out, buy all the stuff, and make it on one shot?

I'll have my book later tonight, but my gut is telling me this is a (big) whiff. Rarely do I purchase cookbooks new at retail.

I was hoping for some insight into his pizza process, his philosophy behind the local stuff and composition of his market plates, and some of the bread stuff but I'm told none of that is the book. Shame.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
Bianco does interesting toppings. That might be my only interest in this book if he has topping preparations other than those in his pizzerias. Awaiting reviews from other forum members. 

Offline jsaras

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 08:06:51 PM »
I think he got the dough recipe from the back of a Fleischmann's yeast packet.  He lists two different quantities for flour so the formula translates to:

Flour - 100%
Water - 76%
Salt - 1.93%
ADY- 1.44%

OR

Flour - 100%
Water - 69%
Salt - 1.75%
ADY- 1.3%

Given the instructions to use a water temperature of 105-100F and these extremely high yeast levels I don't see how it will make it out to 3-5 hours in a "warm place".  This type of nonsense is disappointing but not surprising.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
I think he got the dough recipe from the back of a Fleischmann's yeast packet.  He lists two different quantities for flour so the formula translates to:
s to use a water temperature of 105-100F and these extremely high yeast levels I don't see how it will make it out to 3-5 hours in a "warm place".  This type of nonsense is disappointing but not surprising.

I was very disappointed in the dough recipe. The dough recipe given is pretty obviously not the recipe he uses at Pizzeria Bianco.  Not only that, but he also doesn't really offer any insights at all into the dough making process other than to say in a sidebar that the recipe given is just "...an early survey of a journey you get to finish yourself. The possibilities are endless".  Yeah, right... we already knew the possibilities were endless, that's why we bought the book, to narrow them down a bit! 

I've always admired Chris Bianco for his great pizza and the way he carries himself.  He certainly knows more about making great pizza than 99.9% of people on the planet. It seems to me that he owed his readers a bit more on how he makes his dough and what he's learned.  Bianco offers quite a bit more information about making salad than about making pizza dough.  I'm thinking about sending the book back as a protest! 

Offline jsaras

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
I'd understand this sort of book from just about any celebrity chef, but coming from a master of the craft like Bianco it's a giant middle finger to the world.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 08:57:24 PM »
The entire book should be about pizza. There are more pages dedicated to pizza in non-pizza books.  It looks cool on the shelf, though.

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
I too was disappointed with the Bianco book and agree with the previous comments. Yes, we should expect more from such a famous pizza maker. What particularly annoyed me is that the book shows pictures of brick ovens but not a word about baking in a brick oven. I don't think Bianco made his reputation by baking in a home kitchen oven.

Online HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 01:43:44 AM »
I get home from a trip today, his book was delivered while I was gone. Thanks to the above comments I won't even open it before sending it back to Amazon...
Hans

wordpress