A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: JD's NY  (Read 45551 times)

Offline JD

Re: JD's NY
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2017, 02:24:07 PM »
Josh,

When Mike (Boy Hits Car) and I were working on the dough calculating tools, we tried to find simple conversions of dry yeast to fresh yeast by volume. We couldn't find good ways of doing this. So, you will not see any volume measurements for fresh (cake) yeast in the tools. The standard conversion of dry yeast to fresh yeast is usually double the weight of ADY and triple the weight of IDY. However, in the yeast conversion table at http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm, you can see conversions of dry yeast to fresh (cake) yeast that are based not only on weight, but also on portions of a standard 0.6-ounce supermarket cube of cake yeast.

There is no need for you to do anything if you are getting the results you are after. I just wanted to point out the cake yeast conversions in the abovementioned table.

Peter

That is the exact chart I used to figure out the volumetric equivalent of IDY to Fresh yeast  :D 

I had previously figured out the weight of 1 tsp IDY before I had a jewelers scale, probably from something you posted many years ago. Then, per the chart, the ratio by weight of IDY to Fresh yeast is pretty much 1:3 so I simply multiplied my converted number by 3 to get a volumetric equivalent of fresh yeast vs IDY. I'd much prefer to weigh the fresh yeast, but my jewelers scale broke and I haven't replaced it yet. I think 1:3 by volume is close, but probably a bit high.
JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #321 on: February 24, 2017, 05:46:21 PM »
Thanks Roy.

I pre-cooked the bacon for sure, not necessarily for fear of the bacon being undercooked but because I don't want a pool of bacon grease on the pizza.

It's the only pre-shredded whole milk mozzarella option from RD, be it Stella or Saputo I can't really recall. I thought it was Saputo. I normally use the block Saputo Mozzeria but wanted to try something different. It's good but I'm still not getting what I want in my cheese melt. I may be getting some Grande on Monday, looking forward to trying that.  What's your go-to cheese Roy?
My favorite is Bacio, but it's a pain to get. I pace it out. My "go to", if I had to select just one, would be the Saputo Gold. I very often blend it with Grande PS, as that's the only Grande I've been able to score. That is, until I finally paid the extortion shipping fees at Verns and got some Grande WM just this afternoon. I'll finally get to try my bakes with it.  8) 8)   I think I'm baking tomorrow. For what I paid for the Grande WM, I might as well try a block of Boar's Head. ALWAYS good in a blend, but never tried 100%.

I will focus a few bakes on the Mozzaria After doing various test bakes with my better WM choices. I think I will get a much better bake than my first attempt. I think that one had far too chunky of a sauce. I did like how it tasted, I think. Especially raw.

Our RD has two choices for WM pre-shred. The Stella by Saputo, and the house brand Italiano Supremo. The I.S. keeps giving me a sweet sensation white the Stella has been decent in every blend. I do not remember the melts on their own. I will try a Stella 100% within a couple of weeks.

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #322 on: February 24, 2017, 05:48:22 PM »
I made another fresh yeast pie...

Josh, great pizza and tremendous post. Gives me alot to think about.
Matt

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #323 on: February 24, 2017, 05:50:11 PM »
Beautiful work, Josh!

Just to be clear, you cold fermented the dough for 24 hours, right?  I assume so, since otherwise 0.5% IDY (or equivalent) would be around 10X what is needed.

Thanks.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline JD

« Reply #324 on: February 24, 2017, 09:47:26 PM »
My favorite is Bacio, but it's a pain to get. I pace it out. My "go to", if I had to select just one, would be the Saputo Gold. I very often blend it with Grande PS, as that's the only Grande I've been able to score. That is, until I finally paid the extortion shipping fees at Verns and got some Grande WM just this afternoon. I'll finally get to try my bakes with it.  8) 8)   I think I'm baking tomorrow. For what I paid for the Grande WM, I might as well try a block of Boar's Head. ALWAYS good in a blend, but never tried 100%.

I will focus a few bakes on the Mozzaria After doing various test bakes with my better WM choices. I think I will get a much better bake than my first attempt. I think that one had far too chunky of a sauce. I did like how it tasted, I think. Especially raw.

Our RD has two choices for WM pre-shred. The Stella by Saputo, and the house brand Italiano Supremo. The I.S. keeps giving me a sweet sensation white the Stella has been decent in every blend. I do not remember the melts on their own. I will try a Stella 100% within a couple of weeks.

I'll be following your thread to see about the Grande. I think I tried Stella once and wasn't impressed, I should probably try all the RD suspects again.

Josh, great pizza and tremendous post. Gives me alot to think about.

Thanks Matt. Interested in hearing whatever you figure out, I think we have the same goals in pizza making.

Beautiful work, Josh!

Just to be clear, you cold fermented the dough for 24 hours, right?  I assume so, since otherwise 0.5% IDY (or equivalent) would be around 10X what is needed.

Thanks.

Thanks Mitch! Yes 24hr cold ferment.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
Finally got my hands on some Grande, can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the lead Matt (hammettjr) with Sansone foods. I had a good conversation with the guy behind the desk where he let me know popular choices by other pizzeria owners. Grande whole milk was number one, along with 7-11's and Alta Cucina. He also said tomato magic was a good choice and poly-o blue label mixed with grande part skim. I guess there is more than one type of poly-o so I'll have to try that next.
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:20 AM »
Congrats or your score, Josh! I'm looking forward to see your bakes and thoughts with it.

8) 8)

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #327 on: March 08, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »
So I've been making pizza seriously for about 6 years now, and tonight is the first time I ever used fresh yeast. I was never interested in trying fresh yeast because it got mixed reviews here. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe not, but the dough matured so much better than my regular dough made with idy. The fresh yeast dough matured larger, softer, and more uniform. When I opened the skin, it opened flawlessly with no thin spots. The crust rose very evenly and had a beautifully soft but strong texture. The only possible explaination I could have for it being anything other than the yeast is that the dough felt slightly more hydrated, likely from using fresh yeast vs dry.

Anyone have a similar experience with fresh yeast? This is a 17" NY style made on a screen. My stone is 17" so a screen is a life saver with really very insignificant negative impact on the final pizza. Too much cheese on this one intentionally.
Josh, just curious - what brand of IDY were you using?

Offline JD

« Reply #328 on: March 09, 2017, 06:01:54 AM »
Josh, just curious - what brand of IDY were you using?

Fleischmann's bread machine
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline rparker

• Supporting Member
« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2017, 06:19:32 AM »
Fleischmann's bread machine
Thanks, Josh.

Offline JD

« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2017, 08:51:32 AM »
Last night I made the most authentic NY Style slice pie in my years of pizza making. Here were a few key points that I think got me there:

1) I used 75% 7-11's food milled with a large sieve to remove major skins, and 25% whole peeled tomatoes food milled using my smallest sieve. Using the smallest sieve made the tomatoes pretty watery and it let me thin down the 7-11's without watering it down. It worked perfectly.

2) Thinner sauce, due to #1 above

3) First time using Grande cheese. It really is a premium cheese, has that true NY taste.

4) Thinner shred than I have been using.

5) Cheese & Sauce closer to room temp.

6) Cooked on a stone near the bottom of the oven, only convection no broiler needed due to #4 & 5 above.

Also made my best shredded buffalo chicken pizza. The pizza gods had my back last night  :-D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:16:09 AM by JD »
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline JD

« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:22 AM »
Wow I'm having major issues posting pictures, trying again:
JD's NY Style

-Josh

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »
Awesome Josh! Congrats, looks great! Did you use a screen, if yes, for how long? What was your total bake time and temp? After initially trying quick and hot bakes, I'm learning that this cheese really excels in lower/longer bakes.
Matt

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
Looks great Josh. Are these 16" or 18?

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • On the journey
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2017, 12:07:07 PM »
Very nice looking pies there!!   :drool:

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2017, 12:31:01 PM »
I agree 1000% - great work!  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Norm

Offline JD

« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
Awesome Josh! Congrats, looks great! Did you use a screen, if yes, for how long? What was your total bake time and temp? After initially trying quick and hot bakes, I'm learning that this cheese really excels in lower/longer bakes.

Baked on a screen for about 6-8 minutes? I put my oven to 550 but with the stone so low it settles around 600*. When I use the screen, it slows down the bottom bake just enough to allow that more gentle cheese boil instead of a broiler assisted boil which just ruins the cheese I'm now learning. I agree with you, slow and steady is way better. A lot of inspiration from your cheese melt thread, thanks!

Looks great Josh. Are these 16" or 18?

These are actually 17". A 17" screen touches the window of my oven door and the convection fan cover, I literally cannot fit a bigger pizza as much as I want to  :-D

I agree 1000% - great work!  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks Gents  :pizza: :pizza:

JD's NY Style

-Josh

Offline PizzaJerk

• May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2017, 07:15:42 PM »
Oh my, that looks delicious! Premium pizzas for sure  :pizza:

Offline Josh123

« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Grande cheese melts :)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
Great Josh!

wordpress