A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Long Wait is Growing Short  (Read 67383 times)

Offline caymus

Re: The Long Wait is Growing Short
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 11:33:02 AM »
compared to Ohio, it looks like you won't need a snow blower or lawn mower. :)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 12:37:13 PM »
compared to Ohio, it looks like you won't need a snow blower or lawn mower. :)
You got it!  Also zeroscape means no maintenance and going from 2/3 of an acre to this lot sounds great.   Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
We have the keys to the shop and got in yesterday.  It is the perfect set up for us and the guys I hired to move our household goods off the truck to our house are actually painters.  They paint all the houses in our community and are meeting us tonight to set up painting the shop asap.  I scored a walk in and proofer new at a great price from the local restaurant supply and hopefully the ovens will be in the shop Saturday.  It is an exciting time!  Walter

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
Very cool, Walter. Really excited to watch this shop grow.

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2015, 12:59:54 AM »
Hey Walter! Just sent you a PM with this link but I'll post it here as well. Can't wait to visit the shop!

http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Mountain-View-High-School-338999552.html?mobile=y
Bob

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 01:00:00 AM »
thanks Jon.  Today was crazy with getting a new fridge, washer/dryer, sattilite dish, landline, hooked up at our house and then on to the shop to have a painter look it over for an estimate.  We ended the day going to South Creek Pizza. It is a world class operation that I will review.  Meetings tomorrow with agencies that serve the disabled, contractor to fix a few things at the shop, and talk to a guy that will be moving our ovens off the truck and in the shop.  We have been here 4 days and have got a ton done but need to take a break for a day or two.  Rome wasn't built in a day!  Walter

Online CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 01:01:33 AM »
Been to South Creek a couple of times and really enjoyed it....
Bob

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 09:54:03 AM »
Been to South Creek a couple of times and really enjoyed it....

Bob:  It is the only pizza I have found here in my many visits to this point that I can 100% recommend.  Thanks for that article. It inspired me to keep at it and we look forward to your next visit :) Walter
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:55:54 AM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »
Today we met with the head of the Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation.  They are as excited as Judy and me about the impact our shop can have and the long range vision using the  shop next door (is vacant) to make our healthy school wellness cookies for the public schools, Max's T- Biscuits for Dogs, and setting up an artist studio.  One of my best teacher friends lives here and he was a great art teacher and wants to be the mentor for the artists.  We will sell their work in the shop and give 100% of the sale to them.  Tomorrow the shop gets painted and the ovens moved in.  Next week they will be hooked up and I will be buying the equipment we need.  Tomorrow I am going to clean the window front and put up a bunch of pictures of our pies, my students, and a sign/our phone #/website telling about our cause.  Quite a few people from the neighborhood stopped in today because they have heard about the shop.  There are some plumbing issues and the management is going to fix them which is very nice because according to the lease they don't have to.  The center is owned by a lifelong Reno resident that believes in our cause.  They also have a full time manger in the center in an office which is not common today.  We really hit gold with our location.  I will have my camera and post some pictures.  Walter
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:14:44 PM by waltertore »

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2015, 12:37:18 AM »
Today was a big day. The painters started and our ovens made it in the shop.  One collapsed the 4 wheel dolly but the crew we had  were great.  They were strong as heck and moved the 700 pound ovens around like they were toys!  We are really making progress for only being  here 5 days.  The painters want in at 5am tomorrow so I got to go to bed :)  Walter

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »
The painters finished up today and will be back tomorrow night to touch up a few spots.  We are aiming at simple and clean.  No fancy stuff.   Just old school NJ of my youth :)  We will have red/white checkered tablecloths and the floors cleaned and waxed once all the equipment is in.  Here are some pictures with the new paint and outside the front door of our house.  It is dreamy here and for being here 6 days we are rolling pretty good.  Walter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 05:34:28 PM by waltertore »

Offline mbrulato

• I heart pizza
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
Walter,

What a difference a fresh coat of paint makes!  It's a classic look and the red checkered tablecloths will be a nice contrast IMO.  OMG, Walter, that view is breathtaking.  Best of luck with everything.
Mary Ann

"Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
Walter,

What a difference a fresh coat of paint makes!  It's a classic look and the red checkered tablecloths will be a nice contrast IMO.  OMG, Walter, that view is breathtaking.  Best of luck with everything.

Thanks and it is a dry 63 degrees at our house! The bummer was the last tenant painted the purple/gray colors over white so we had to have the painters put several coats of paint/primer to cover the dark colors. Judy says it reminds her of a See's Candy shop and we both love See's :)  It reminds me of a classic NYC/NJ memory of my youth.  We will be covering the walls with lots of special needs artwork and the brick wall is going to be "the wall of fame" where special Olympic athletes will get their picture taken by us, framed, and hung.  We will be adding personal photos and heros like Sinatra and such as well.  It will get pretty colorful.  Our Smiling with Hope Bakery sign will be hung in the hallway as a reminder to me of all the special needs students I got to work with over the years.  Everything is going so smooth it is scary.  The paint job was a total of 2k and the guys who helped unload our rental truck with our household goods  are full time painters in the Del Webb Community we live in.  They did a great job.  Now I have to work on an outdoor sign and equipment.  I bet we are open by the end of the month or early Dec.  That is good because our bankroll is shrinking fast :-D   Walter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:04:05 PM by waltertore »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2015, 09:11:16 PM »
Hi Walter,

Your neighborhood looks pretty awesome. I see a bit of snow on the hills there.  I guess it's time to change your location on your PM profile from Ohio to Nevada! 

I'm so happy for you and wish you great success as you get started in Reno.  I've got a friend who lives there and I will tell him to come in and try out your pizza once you get opened. 

Best regards,

TinRoof

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2015, 09:42:43 PM »
Hi Walter,

Your neighborhood looks pretty awesome. I see a bit of snow on the hills there.  I guess it's time to change your location on your PM profile from Ohio to Nevada! 

I'm so happy for you and wish you great success as you get started in Reno.  I've got a friend who lives there and I will tell him to come in and try out your pizza once you get opened. 

Best regards,

TinRoof

Thanks TinRoof!  I need to update my profile.  I look forward to meeting your friend.  Our pizzeria is in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Reno and there is a lot of foot traffic with people walking dogs and such.  I plastered the window with photos of our pizza and a note about our social cause.  The center is about 25 years old and well established.  We are next to a dry cleaner that is hopping all day and they still do it all on site. It is cool to hear steam and such like when we were kids.  Walter
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:16:03 AM by waltertore »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
Walter,

Very happy for you! The shop looks awesome.

I said to my wife today that we'll come for a visit and she said "Let's go!" If this year's El Nino won't screw up the roads too bad this year, we'll make a trek out to Reno to come see you.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
Walter,

Very happy for you! The shop looks awesome.

I said to my wife today that we'll come for a visit and she said "Let's go!" If this year's El Nino won't screw up the roads too bad this year, we'll make a trek out to Reno to come see you.

Mike: It would be great to meet you and your wife.  It is snowing at the summit right now.  It is a trip living here.  So magical......  I feel like I finally found my home after 42 years of searching the world for it.  I think we will be up and running in a month or so. We have to start making $ asap. I don't know how people take empty spaces and invest over 1/2 million dollars in it to get it ready for pizza and when they leave the space most of it stays with the landlord.  We will be rolling for under 30k including all equipment which we take wherever we go.    Walter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2015, 09:54:10 PM »
Mike: It would be great to meet you and your wife.  It is snowing at the summit right now.  It is a trip living here.  So magical......  I feel like I finally found my home after 42 years of searching the world for it.  I think we will be up and running in a month or so. We have to start making $ asap. I don't know how people take empty spaces and invest over 1/2 million dollars in it to get it ready for pizza and when they leave the space most of it stays with the landlord.  We will be rolling for under 30k including all equipment which we take wherever we go.    Walter

The last time I was in Reno was about 10 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. It looks like you have a great place and once you and your wife are completely settled in it'll be a blast.

I'm also trying to keep start-up costs as low as possible. I think the biggest investment will be the oven and other basic equipment next year. So we'll see...

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »
The last time I was in Reno was about 10 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed since then. It looks like you have a great place and once you and your wife are completely settled in it'll be a blast.

I'm also trying to keep start-up costs as low as possible. I think the biggest investment will be the oven and other basic equipment next year. So we'll see...

Reno has changed drastically in the past 10  years.  Most all our neighbors are Bay area exiles. The food is good and South Creek Pizza Company is top notch.  The town is booming and you can feel it in the air.  I think we snuck in under the wire before we were priced out like what made us leave Sonoma County.  The ovens are not the biggest cost but one of many.  The mixer, paint, fixing things up, all the equipment needed, adds up quick. This space would have cost 100k to build from and empty shell and the owner keeps it all when you leave if it is attached to the stucture.  Luckily a plug or gas line means mobile and not attached.  Our biggest costs will be a 6'x6' walk in (5k with installation) mixer (5k with installation), proofer ($1,100), misc smallwares including tables/chairs (2-3k), sign required for outside (2-3k or we might lease one), fees to incorporate/licenses/insurances/etc (approx 4k), cleanup/paint/small modifications (2-3k)  rent ($1,800 a month including maintenance fees (.45 a square foot).  We are bare bones believe me. Walter
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:13:48 PM by waltertore »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2015, 12:43:28 AM »
Thanks TinRoof!  I need to update my profile.  I look forward to meeting your friend.  Our pizzeria is in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Reno and there is a lot of foot traffic with people walking dogs and such.  I plastered the window with photos of our pizza and a note about our social cause.  The center is about 25 years old and well established.  We are next to a dry cleaner that is hoping all day and they still do it all on site. It is cool to hear steam and such like when we were kids.  Walter
You and my friend have something in common: his name is Walter too!