A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tins of crushed tomatoes in the UK  (Read 1442 times)

Offline ah99

• I Love Pizza!
Tins of crushed tomatoes in the UK
« on: December 28, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »
Hi all

I'm based in the UK, am new to this board and to pizza making, and have a question about buying crushed tomatoes in the UK. Does anyone have any experience of UK brands that come close to the quality, consistency and taste of Escalon 6 in 1/Sclafani, etc. that they can recommend, please?

Am having difficulty finding any of the brands talked about on this board at a reasonable price. Just found a tin of 6 in 1 for just shy of £91 on Amazon for 6lb 9 oz!

Thanks
A
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 07:33:10 AM by ah99 »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• The legend never dies
Re: Tins of crushed tomatoes in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
Hi all

I'm based in the UK, am new to this board and to pizza making, and have a question about buying crushed tomatoes in the UK. Does anyone have any experience of UK brands that come close to the quality, consistency and taste of Escalon 6 in 1/Sclafani, etc. that they can recommend, please?

Am having difficulty finding any of the brands talked about on this board at a reasonable price. Just found a tin of 6 in 1 for just shy of £91 on Amazon for 6lb 9 oz!

Thanks
A

Thatś an absurd price, don´t even buy it.

Plus you´d have no way of storing it.

You guys probally get a better deal on CENTO San Marazonos maybe.since your closer to Italy.

But I could be wrong.

Go and try out tasting as manny different cans of crushed tomatoes as possible.
If itś bad out the can, don´t use it.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
A lot of people set their pizza efforts way back by obsessing over and seeking out certain brands/products. It's almost a certainty that you have everything you need to make great pizza available to you locally.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ah99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
A lot of people set their pizza efforts way back by obsessing over and seeking out certain brands/products. It's almost a certainty that you have everything you need to make great pizza available to you locally.

Thanks guys. I've begun experimenting! Plenty to choose from.

Offline PizzaForno

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:36:50 AM »
These are the ones I use when I don't want to open a big 2.5kg tin of san marzano. They are good if left alone, they just
need a quick blast in the processor and a pinch salt.
Cirio Plum Tomatoes - you can get them in Waitrose

Offline JSPACEMAN

• Pizza
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 09:41:18 AM »
I use M&S Italian peeled plum tomatoes - The basic ones with the white label. I love them.

Think they're about 30-40p a tin, then just use a hand blender to make it into 'sauce'

Add salt and whatever else you fancy to your taste.

This is how it should be done, make sure you get it everywhere, preferably while drunk.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:43:40 AM by JSPACEMAN »
I think I'm in love, probably just hungry.

Offline JSPACEMAN

• Pizza
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »
Here's my go to, I usually have Buffalo Mozzarella, but there was none at the deli counter on the market   :-\
I think I'm in love, probably just hungry.

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
I use Sainsburys plum tomatoes but to be honest I haven't tried the expensive brands.. yet.

They're  cheap (about 33p a can for the multipacks of 4) they are quite sweet compared to other cheap plum tomatoes I have tried and  the juice is reasonably thick too.

I use a mixture of plum tomatoes I either finely dice up or blend them (always turns orange) then some tomato puree (paste in the US) which also turns them back from orange to red.  Then add oregano, basil, marjoram, bit of garlic powder and a tiny bit of sugar depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes.  I always make it a day in advance and leave it 24 hours before use in the fridge. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 02:50:52 PM by MadMatt »

Offline 00rgiles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 07:02:41 PM »
Mutti can be bought on Amazon or Ocado and I quite like the Pizza Express Passata.  I'm sure there will be plenty of people who say these sauces are not ideal but there is a shortage of quality/readily available tomatoes here... brands here are cirio, Italian style supermarket tomatoes (seeing no San Marzano in supermarkets now) Pizza Express Passata in Tesco and Ocado. otherwise not sure where to get better.

Spoke with an Italian restaurant that gets Polpa de pomadoro or something like this... I believe it's a tomato pulp which they say they get sent in from Italy...

Offline 00rgiles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
If your not a chain or order from abroad in bulk... it's hard to get quality enough ingredients. You guys from the US don't realize how lucky you are.

Offline bbking

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Hey bud, I am bit new to this pizza making stuff myself, not even made my first proper pizza yet, (pizza stones only turned up today)

However, I was having a good old search on the web for tomatoes and I found this article on the guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/19/tinned-tomatoes-the-best-and-worst-taste-test

3rd in their taste test was the Antonella Tomatoes.  I see you are in London, I don't know where, but round the corner from me in Chiswick there is a little shop called Natoora, they sell the Antonella peeled whole tommys for £1.49 per tin.  ;)

Before I make my first pizza on Sunday I am going to go and buy 3 or 4 different cans of tomatoes, open them all (using the Antonella as the benchmark) and see which one i like best in a taste test, rather than trying one at a time. 

Whilst £1.49 is a reasonably sane price for a can, I am kinda hoping that I like one of the supermarket own brands but we will see!

Interestingly on this article here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/household-bills/10245837/Tinned-tomatoes-which-offer-best-value-for-money.html The Lidl Tomatoes are apparently amazing!!

I hope this may be of some help.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:10 PM »
I heard "Ciao" tomato products are a hot item in Europe.

They are becoming more and more popular here as well, mainly due to Michele D'Amelio.
Mike

“All styles of pizza are valid. I make the best I’m capable of; you should make the best you’re capable of. I don’t want to make somebody else’s pizza.” ~ Chris Bianco

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
I just picked up for Cirio plum tomatoes 4 for £1.40 reduced  at Lidl

Though they say Pelati on them, while the others I see on British supermarket websites don't.. I know it just means peeled but that's a little odd maybe they're imported and not UK market ones?

On a few store websites it says Cirio Pelati Peeled Plum Tomatoes  are made using San Marzano variety of tomatos! but I can't see it mentioned on the packaging at all. Given the price it's highly unlikely. 

I did buy some Cirio passata I wasn't hugely impressed with it tbh tasted flavourless like a tin of smartprice tomatoes.

But I'll give these a shot.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:06:22 PM by MadMatt »