A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Anybody made gluten-free pizza with an Uuni?  (Read 610 times)

Offline docsplendid

• I Love Pizza!
Anybody made gluten-free pizza with an Uuni?
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:49:57 PM »
I used to make pizza from scratch all the time, but since I've been with a partner with coeliac disease for a few years, that has stopped. This summer, I'm changing that, and will be slinging neapolitan style pies in an Uuni 2s for myself and lots of friends.

I don't want to exclude my partner from the fun, though. What should I do for a crust that I can slide into the uuni and cook at its high heat? My current thought is to par-bake a few in the oven in a cast-iron pan (so it can be an extra wet dough, and nice and thin).

PS: She was fortunate enough to have her disease identified at the age of 2, so can therefore get away with having minimal contact on cooking, as happens when you cook GF crust on the same stone as a regular one. I know not everyone is so lucky.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re: Anybody made gluten-free pizza with an Uuni?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »
Hi,

I want to address your last point, as it made me very concerned. If your partner (or anyone else, such as myself) has celiac disease, that person cannot "get away with having minimal contact" in terms of contaminated surfaces, regardless of how long it has been since diagnosis. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease that involves very specific damaging reactions in the small intestine to consumption of even minute quantities of gluten (20ppm is the current standard). That reaction, and intestinal damage, does not become less severe depending on how long since someone was diagnosed, or when they were diagnosed. It's like the old saw about being "almost pregnant"--either you have celiac and will have damaging intestinal reactions to minute quantities of gluten, or you don't. Some people may show different *symptoms* than others after gluten exposure, for sure; but the damage will happen, regardless of the outward symptoms.  It's an actual autoimmune disease, not an allergic reaction.

There is no way that you would be able to safely make a gluten-free pizza on a stone that has been used for normal pizza. The residual flour from previous pizzas will contaminate the GF pizza for sure.

Now, all that being said, if you or your partner want to take that risk, that's your own personal choices to make, of course. But please, please don't be under the misconception that it's perfectly safe for your partner. It isn't.

If I may make a recommendation? I live with a non-celiac wife.  What I do is I have a steel plate I use for baking (your partner could use his/her own baking stone) that can be removed from the oven. I then make my own GF pizza on that steel plate. My oven goes to 550, and I can get some pretty amazing pizzas from that steel plate--not true Neapolitan, but absolutely delicious, with browned/leopard-spotted crust, etc. I would highly recommend that you explore that route rather than bake a GF pizza on the same stone as your normal pizzas.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:55:28 AM by canadave »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »
It sounds like a case of gluten intolerance more than Celiac disease but that's beside the point, you might also try baking the pizzas on a piece of foil or a large foil tray like the ones used for making fruit and cheese trays at your local supermarket. The bright reflective surface would also serve to protect the crust from being over baked on the hot deck.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline docsplendid

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I'm aware that there's always some damage being done. I'm definitely considering getting a second stone for the uuni and doing GF on some days and regular on the others. And yes, she's most definitely coeliac! I won't pretend to know enough about it to discuss it intelligently, but I go by her decisions on what's safe or not for her to eat!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
I had surprisingly good results with Caputo Fiore Glut: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36328.msg370249#msg370249
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Kelemvor

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:58 PM »
My wife uses these:
https://samisbakery.com/product/millet-and-flax-pizza-crust/

We've cooked them in our regular oven set to 550 and they worked great.  Dunno about in an actual 750+ degree oven but if you set it on something else to lower the temp under the pizza so it doesn't burn it'd probably work great.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:11:50 PM »
The GF pies in my posts on this thread were made in the Roccbox at about 800F, Unni should be about the same. https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg460963#msg460963

this will get you going:
Hans

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 09:42:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Yes, I'm aware that there's always some damage being done. I'm definitely considering getting a second stone for the uuni and doing GF on some days and regular on the others. And yes, she's most definitely coeliac! I won't pretend to know enough about it to discuss it intelligently, but I go by her decisions on what's safe or not for her to eat!

You made me feel much better with that post :)  And it takes a wise person to say they don't know enough about something to discuss it intelligently.  If we had more people willing to say that, the world would be a better place.

I would think you would be fine as long as you get that second stone, or use foil as was suggested elsewhere. The only other thing I would be concerned about is possible contamination from inside the Uuni from previous bakes, but I don't know enough about the Uuni to discuss THAT intelligently :)

wordpress