A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: High Gluten Flour - Central Texas  (Read 309 times)

Offline goosta

• Supporting Member
High Gluten Flour - Central Texas
« on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:07 PM »
I would really like to try high gluten flour, but would like to avoid the high cost of purchasing it online. Does anyone know of a source for it around Central Texas? Every distributer I have contacted basically said they don't sell to the general public. I don't mind driving and I don't mind buying a 50lb bag.  :)

Actually, anywhere in or around Houston could work too. We are driving out to Florida for vacation and will be driving through there. Just have to explain to my wife that we need to take a small detour to pick up a giant bag of flour...  :-D

Maybe I should make this a pizza themed road trip and check for some good pizza along the Gulf Coast...  8)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: High Gluten Flour - Central Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
If you can find a way into Restaurant Depot in Austin, they may carry it. They carry All Trumps at both stores here in Houston. I think you can still get in if you are a member of the KC BBQ Society - may be something to look into.

I know telling you this doesn't scratch the itch, but high gluten flour likely won't help you make better pizza. I'd give it at least even odds that you'll like it less than bread flour.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline goosta

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:05 PM »
If you can find a way into Restaurant Depot in Austin, they may carry it. They carry All Trumps at both stores here in Houston. I think you can still get in if you are a member of the KC BBQ Society - may be something to look into.

I know telling you this doesn't scratch the itch, but high gluten flour likely won't help you make better pizza. I'd give it at least even odds that you'll like it less than bread flour.

Thanks for the tip about Restaurant Depot. I've seen the KCBS deal mentioned, so I'm considering that.

As far as if I will like it better or not, I have been wondering that myself. I keep reading differing opinions and have been flipping back and forth.

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
I've been searching in Florida as well.  Finally just made the purchase on Amazon for some All Trumps.  $21 for 7lbs!  What a rip off but it's all I have available

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
I've been searching in Florida as well.  Finally just made the purchase on Amazon for some All Trumps.  $21 for 7lbs!  What a rip off but it's all I have available

You absolutely don't need it and will almost certainly make better pizza with whatever decent bread flour you have locally.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline goosta

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
To follow up, I got a membership to KCBS and made a trip to Restaurant Depot. They did have All Trumps in both 25 lb and 50 lb, so I got the smaller bag to try it out. Was a little over $8.