A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Credit Card for the mobile guys???  (Read 729 times)

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
Credit Card for the mobile guys???
« on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:55 PM »
What are you folks, in the mobile world, using for credit/debit card payments? I'm looking for the most reliable set up, not necessarily the least expensive. I am sure I will be working without a hard connection to internet a lot of the time... so need something that will work on cellular, or wifi???

I have been to places that are using a reader, attached to a phone... and always seems to be a problem for some reason or another.  That's the last problem I want to be dealing with when I have a line of hungry people staring at me!!!  Hahaha

Thanks for looking...

Jason

Offline Pizza Baker

• I Love Wood Fired Pizza!
Re: Credit Card for the mobile guys???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »
We use Square, it has been very reliable. Jim
Jim

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
Now that I have had a few years under my belt and made many friends with food trucks I have seen a number of different systems.   All of them seem to have the same problems with connectivity drop outs.    I still use square like I always have, but I have moved to a square stand with an iPad that already has built in wifi.  I connect the stand to the printer with a physical cable.   Its possible to use a hotspot and a non wifi equipped iPad.   Its also possible to use a bluetooth printer.   I think its best to avoid as many wireless connections as possible and it seems to help a little.   

Square does not have the best credit card rates, but it totally saved us once by giving us a loan to replace our oven when no bank would.     

Offline JAG

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
Square for us too, no problems in 5yrs.

John

Offline makin moves

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 03:19:42 PM »
3 years using square with zero issues.

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Sweet, thanks all!!  Seems like square is the answer... I really appreciate the input!

Jason

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:42:37 PM »

Square does not have the best credit card rates, but it totally saved us once by giving us a loan to replace our oven when no bank would.     

Scott R- just goes to show- not always about the cheapest thing you can find... building a relationship like that can make the difference. Thanks for the perspective!!

Jason

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 09:08:02 AM »
That is so true!!

Are any of you guys with no issues using a printer?   Do you ever have tickets that just randomly don't print?   We still seem to have this issue now and again and I have updated everything including software and hardware.   

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
So looking at the square... looks like it has POS built in as well. Do you find it to be Robust enough to handle your business. Does it integrate with your online orders... or do you have to enter manually?

Jason

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 05:50:13 PM »
Also... are you using iPad "air", with its own cellular service.  or are you using Wifi connections. If wifi, do you use a use your phone as hotspot, or do you use a dedicated "hot spot box" from your provider??

Jason

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 12:25:37 AM »
I switched to the iPad air from a hotspot.   I did this because I was having bluetooth interference issues at one of my spaces.   Everything worked fine at my other parking spaces.    This did fix the issues.

Offline roksngr

• SLICE OF ITALEIGH PIZZA FOOD TRUCK
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 01:42:21 AM »
If it doesn't print your tickets, its usually a "connection" issue.
Owner/Chef of Slice of Italeigh -SF Bay Area Mobile Pizza Kitchen.

Offline kkgator

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 01:37:12 PM »
I've been using Square for 3 years with relatively minor issues.  Different venues vary as to the amount of CCs we transact.  Farmer's Market is more cash than credit but you'll miss out 3-5 sales if you don't accept cards.

Offline sharky300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 12:08:53 AM »
Thanks for the input kkgator- we are going to go with square. Looks like it will do all we need for a while. We have an iPad,without cellular, we are going to start with and see how it goes using hotspot. If it gives us trouble, I guess we'll have to suck it up and buy a new one.

From what I was reading, it seems like it will store card info, even if no current connection. Then I guess do all of transmitting, when it comes back up... am I reading it wrong?? I guess there is the risk of having a bad card... but better to take that chance, rather than have a line of people wanting to by your food, and having to turn them away.  Ive always been a gambling man...

Thanks again to all who have pitched in!!

Jason