Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by quietdesperation on 18 Mar 2017
  • due to its location on the upper west side, away from Manhattan's tourist attractions,  Sal and Carmine's doesn't get as much attention as it might deserve. Still, most native ny pizza aficionados eventually make the trek. What they find when they get there is a canonical slice of NY pizza. Nothing fancy, just a great balance of cheese, sauce and bread.

here's a link to Ed Levine's review:
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/06/sal-and-carmines-pizza-sal-malanga-uws-upper-west-side-manhattan-nyc.html

pictures below
  • #2 by hammettjr on 18 Mar 2017
  • I love how something that looks so simple can taste so good.  Thanks for posting. What was the texture of the rim like?
  • #3 by quietdesperation on 18 Mar 2017
  • It's funny you ask, the rim construction was interesting. As you eat your way in from the tip, the slice screams thin, ny pizza. But about an inch before the outer rim the crust gets thicker and bready, maybe a little more than I'd like. Still, it's a really solid slice.

They have a nice sausage slice, today I heard them recommend a spinach slice and it sure looked good coming out of the oven. Plain slices are $3, toppings are $1.
  • #4 by HBolte on 19 Mar 2017
  • Glad you mentioned Sal and Carmines. I had a slice there today. I thought that it was excellent. As said above a nice balance and excellent crust with the perfect crunch.
  • #5 by hammettjr on 19 Mar 2017
  • Thats a cool shot of him slicing the pie right at you. I like the melt. The pale rim is interesting - I recently reduced my temp which improved my melt while leading to a more pale rim.
  • #6 by quietdesperation on 20 Mar 2017
  • In the ed levine review linked in my op, he mentions ordering his pie well done. As you might expect, there's a little more color in that crust.  I wonder if well-done is accomplished through higher-temp, longer bake or both. I'm guessing it's simply a longer bake.
Pages:
Actions