A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Don't buy Hunts  (Read 1866 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Don't buy Hunts
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »
I have been using Red Gold crushed, and have been happy with it.

In general, I think crushed tend to be better as they will crush the tomatoes that are too ripe to whole peel. Hunt's crushed suck too though.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »
Would love to know what you think of each. To my taste (and I've had almost all of those) The Bianco DiNapoli are far and away the best tomato I've had on a pizza. Naturally sweet, some acid, very flavorful.

Had them on Bianco's Margherita (just lightly salted mozzarella and basil) and on a pizza Jason Raducha was testing at Noble Eatery with a little bit of oregano.

I could have eaten both sauces with a spoon they were THAT good. And if you're using those tomatoes commercially, it's something like 5 cents per ounce of another brand compared to 8 cents an ounce for the DiNapoli. It's basically a no brainer...

I'm always up for trying something new.

Today's catch.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Interestingly, I had the Sclafani crushed (which are Jersey tomatoes,) and Cento crushed the other day (out of convenience) and didn't enjoy them nearly as much as the whole versions I had crushed myself. I liked the Jersey Fresh crushed the most of the bunch, but I'd rather crush some Sclafani's or Alta Cucina tomatoes myself. That being said, the best pre-crushed tomatoes I've had are the DiNapoli tomatoes. The tomatoes I crushed whole tasted brighter, fresher, and had a better balance of sweetness and acidity. I couldn't tell you why that was....

In general, I think crushed tend to be better as they will crush the tomatoes that are too ripe to whole peel. Hunt's crushed suck too though.

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 06:22:29 PM »
....... the best pre-crushed tomatoes I've had are the DiNapoli tomatoes.......

It annoys the hell out of me that they include salt.  I bought them once and paid top dollar.  I thought they tasted O.K, but too salty.  Like most here, I'm perfectly capable of adjusting sauce salt levels based on the toppings I'm using.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
I got a can of Hunts Organic Crushed the other day from Grocery Outlet. I used them on a pizza and thought they were really good. Better than my case of Sclafani  :-\

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »
I got a can of Hunts Organic Crushed the other day from Grocery Outlet. I used them on a pizza and thought they were really good. Better than my case of Sclafani  :-\

You see all these tomato cuttings, and they get one can of a bunch of different tomatoes and make a bunch of judgements. YOu may be able to draw some broad conclusions, but they are largely meaningless. To get any sort of reliable results, you need to try a significant number of cans from different lot numbers. Every brand is going to have some great cans and some terrible cans - particularly with whole peeled which you can't mix and average out they way you can with most any other type of tomato.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
You see all these tomato cuttings, and they get one can of a bunch of different tomatoes and make a bunch of judgements. YOu may be able to draw some broad conclusions, but they are largely meaningless. To get any sort of reliable results, you need to try a significant number of cans from different lot numbers. Every brand is going to have some great cans and some terrible cans - particularly with whole peeled which you can't mix and average out they way you can with most any other type of tomato.

No doubt, that's why I always am trying different tomatoes. I was just pointing out that I had a pretty good Hunt's can despite the bad rep. And some not great Sclafani's despite the good rep. Natural products are always going to vary and that's alright with me.  Whole Peeled is harder to predict, especially when you get a can of tomatoes which are way under ripe. I still seem to prefer whole peeled though.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 01:07:47 AM »
These? They had a ton of them there at Grocery Outlet for $1.99. Mine are pretty good too. I got my six pack of 6-in-1s today and did a side by side comparison. The 6 in 1 have a very rich and deep tomato flavor, more so than any tomato I've had lately, and the Hunts were now relatively bland, though perhaps that was a mean comparison. But the Hunts aren't bad at all and I'll be making sauce from it.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 11:35:46 PM »
These? They had a ton of them there at Grocery Outlet for $1.99. Mine are pretty good too. I got my six pack of 6-in-1s today and did a side by side comparison. The 6 in 1 have a very rich and deep tomato flavor, more so than any tomato I've had lately, and the Hunts were now relatively bland, though perhaps that was a mean comparison. But the Hunts aren't bad at all and I'll be making sauce from it.

Those are the ones! Same price too. Nice to hear about the 6-in-1s! Been wanting to try those, and now I'm even more interested!  :chef:
What did the per can price come out to on that 6 pack?

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2017, 12:10:22 AM »
Those are the ones! Same price too. Nice to hear about the 6-in-1s! Been wanting to try those, and now I'm even more interested!  :chef:
What did the per can price come out to on that 6 pack?
It's $23.10 shipped for six 28oz 6-in-1 ground (not peeled) all purpose cans, where it's $3.50/can if you buy six or more ($4.33/can otherwise) and $2.10 per six cans shipping so ultimately they're $3.85/can. For these I think it's a good deal considering that you'll not find them for much less than $40 per six cans elsewhere. I ordered through Shirley via email on Thursday and got the 14lb box on Monday. They ship from Ca. so you'd probably get them even quicker. I have a 6in1 and the Hunts organic sauce batches I made at the same time w/ same exact ingredients melding in the fridge now for Friday. Should be interesting.
You can order directly from Shirley via her email @ [email protected]  and you can still use the nonfunctional Escalon order form to get exact price per quantity plus shipping quotes @ http://www.escalon.net/Order
She'll email you a simple invoice w/ price and address to mail the check and she ships out immediately. Very easy and painless as others who've done this have said. Like bootlegging sans prohibition.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:42:22 AM by csnack »

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 11:48:04 PM »
The Hunts I tried had a red label (not beige).  Maybe their higher end products are good.