A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sclafani Whole Were a Disappointment  (Read 568 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Sclafani Whole Were a Disappointment
« on: June 29, 2017, 01:09:55 AM »
I got a couple of cans of the Sclafani whole tomatoes from Walmart.  I have to say they were nothing special; firm and very little flavor.  As I look at the posts here now, I see that it's the crushed I should be trying and that I'm not alone in my experience.  I was going to order the crushed, but Walmart.com said they were out of stock.  Only the whole were available.  Not a mystery, huh???  I'm going to get my hands on the crushed one of these days.  I just hate ordering a case of something without knowing whether I like it.  Walmart's minimum order was only 2 cans for under $3.00 total; so no harm done.  Anyone know where else I can order less than a case? :chef:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:25:30 AM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sclafani Whole Were a Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:45 AM »
One thing about ordering from Walmart website vs the Walmart app on your phone; as you found when ordering from Walmart website, they for some reason have minimum order requirements, usually in twos and that's the case for many items. But, when ordering through the Walmart app on your phone there are no minimum order requirements; you can just order one of whatever you want if you want - Fyi anyway.

Funny you posted this as I've been eyeing the Sclafani whole on Walmart too and was eventually going to buy a few cans as they're only about $1.50 or so. Now I probably won't. And honestly, I'd have to say I was a bit let down by the Sclafani crushed after all the praise I've read about them on here. I mean, they weren't terrible or anything, but they were rather bland and a bit uninspiring, especially compared to the Cento all purpose. I had bought a case of them from Amazon and I got decent sauce made from them, but I wouldn't say they were great straight out of the can. I've read that the Sclafani crushed are really sweet, but mine weren't at all. Walmart has the Cento all purpose crushed for 1.97 or something which is not too bad.

They also have a Colavita 28oz can which like the Cento is just crushed tomatoes and no other additives for around $1.50 - have you tried those yet? I'll be buying those next. Thanks for the heads on Sclafani whole. That sucks.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:41:13 AM by csnack »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:31:03 AM »
One thing about ordering from Walmart website vs the Walmart app on your phone; as you found when ordering from Walmart website, they for some reason have minimum order requirements, usually in twos and that's the case for many items. But, when ordering through the Walmart app on your phone there are no minimum order requirements; you can just order one of whatever you want if you want - Fyi anyway.

Funny you posted this as I've been eyeing the Sclafani whole on Walmart too and was eventually going to buy a few cans as they're only about $1.50 or so. Now I probably won't. And honestly, I'd have to say I was a bit let down by the Sclafani crushed after all the praise I've read about them on here. I mean, they weren't terrible or anything, but they were rather bland and a bit uninspiring, especially compared to the Cento all purpose. I had bought a case of them from Amazon and I got decent sauce made from them, but I wouldn't say they were great straight out of the can. I've read that the Sclafani crushed are really sweet, but mine weren't at all. Walmart has the Cento all purpose crushed for 1.97 or something which is not too bad.

They also have a Colavita 28oz can which like the Cento is just crushed tomatoes and no other additives for around $1.50 - have you tried those yet? I'll be buying those next. Thanks for the heads on Sclafani whole. That sucks.
Thanks for the reply, Csnack.  I've used the Cento before, crushed, whole, DOP, the kind from Walmart, etc.  They've been fine.  I'm really trying to up my game and experiement with the products, some harder to get, that I see touted as the best.  I was hoping the Sclafanis would be something special and open a new door, but not this time.  Maybe something from Stanislaus...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:52:18 AM by Glutenboy »
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:48:31 AM »
I just got a case of Sclafani crushed and I'm not a fan. But a lot of people on this site love them so it's hard to say which way you'd go.
I think I will try 6-in-1 next from Escalon.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
For those people here that love Sclafani crushed; most of those posts that I've read anyway from folks who loved them were from some time ago. I'd be interested in hearing their opinion on them now if they were to try a current batch. It's possible the Sclafani tomatoes are different than they once were. Looks like you can get six 6-in-1 28oz cans for $3.85 a piece after shipping directly from them. Let us know if they're worth it.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:42:45 PM »
For those people here that love Sclafani crushed; most of those posts that I've read anyway from folks who loved them were from some time ago. I'd be interested in hearing their opinion on them now if they were to try a current batch.

Agreed. I'll let you know next time I open a can. It may be helpful too if you and Ryan post pics of the can you have with the batch code.  And just to triple check, you're trying the one below on the left, correct?
Matt

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »
The ones I used tonight were pretty good. I let  them marinate with some fresh basil for a few hours.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:25:04 AM »
I've heard of that other Sclafani on the right in your picture - it's supposedly inferior to the one by B&G foods. Anyway.

wordpress