A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: That amazing, zingy sauce pursuit  (Read 1048 times)

Offline MikesPizzaTX

• I Love Pizza!
That amazing, zingy sauce pursuit
« on: August 02, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
I am going to change one more thing for this Fridays cook...I'm going to make my sauce tomorrow night (Thursday) for use on Friday.  For the last couple weeks I've been making 2 pizzas on Friday and then using the remaining dough balls for bread sticks or pizzas on Saturday after we go bowling or have a little too much wine, sure beats ordering out.  My point; the sauce always seems to taste better the next day!?

I don't cook my sauce, it's very simple and good in my opinion.  Doesn't quite have the final bit of "zing" that some of my favorite places have but it's better than 99% of what I've had out there.

Open can of Gustarosso DOP tomatoes (SM), drain slightly, add 1-2 cloves garlic, couple basil leaves, oregano, much salt, little grind pepper, and tsp of balsamic vinegar.  Then grind with immersion blender in the can and start spread it on.

I know that recipe is a little unorthodox but it's really good.  I've made some great cooked sauces in the past but seems like the taste isn't worth the extra 45 minutes it takes to cook and cool it.

What do you guys think, would love any feedback you have?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
Re: That amazing, zingy sauce pursuit
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 04:44:39 PM »
I like to take a portion of the tomatoes, add all the spices and then add grated hard cheese for the "zing" and simmer it for 10-15 minutes and then add to the uncooked tomatoes.  I use pecorino romano, but parmigiano reggiano works too.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »
I'm surprised to hear you're looking for "extra zing" given all the herbs and spices and especially the 2 raw garlic cloves you're already putting in a can of tomatoes. For me, dried oregano is the definitive herb for a New York style pizza sauce, so I always use that and, like Harry, I find that some sharp cheese is a nice addition. I always use Grana Padano, but a Pecorino will give you a much sharper taste, which you may like.

Rolls

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
Try higher amounts of black pepper for more zing

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »

Open can of Gustarosso DOP tomatoes (SM), drain slightly, add 1-2 cloves garlic, couple basil leaves, oregano, much salt, little grind pepper, and tsp of balsamic vinegar.  Then grind with immersion blender in the can and start spread it on.

What do you guys think, would love any feedback you have?

I've tried various kinds of vinegar, including balsamic. White vinegar seems to give the flavor I'm looking for, but any vinegar must be balanced with a sweetener. I've tried white sugar, honey, and CocaCola. CocaCola is my favorite.

Mix the sauce w/all ingredients except the sweetener. Add sweetener a little bit at a time, tasting until it's just right.

You might also try using a tiny bit of Red Hot Pepper Flakes, fine ground.

--pete--

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:37:43 AM »
I'm surprised to hear you're looking for "extra zing" given all the herbs and spices and especially the 2 raw garlic cloves you're already putting in a can of tomatoes. For me, dried oregano is the definitive herb for a New York style pizza sauce, so I always use that and, like Harry, I find that some sharp cheese is a nice addition. I always use Grana Padano, but a Pecorino will give you a much sharper taste, which you may like.

Rolls

I agree pecorino is sharp, simmering it in a portion of the tomatoes first and adding that to the uncooked will round it out.  The idea is for it to meld and not be too obviously noticeable and amount is important too.  This sauce then also gives flavor to the mozzarella in the bake.   But some people like to just put the romano right after sauce applied for a stronger taste.  I finish with fresh grates of grana padano or parmigianno after the bake.  This is within NY style though, I will use an unadulterated sauce for other styles, like Margherita and isolate certain other flavors.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:03:36 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
I agree pecorino is sharp, simmering it in a portion of the tomatoes first and adding that to the uncooked will round it out.  The idea is for it to meld and not be too obviously noticeable and amount is important too.  This sauce then also gives flavor to the mozzarella in the bake.   I finish with fresh grates of grana padano or parmigianno after the bake.  This is within NY style though, I will use an unadulterated sauce for other styles, like Margherita and isolate certain other flavors.

I don't have too much experience using pecorino as we never used it in my household growing up. The other thing to be said about pecorino is that it covers a broad range of products, each with varying degrees of aging and sharpness. I think I'll try a small amount of Pecorino Romano in the sauce. I think a post-bake sprinkle would be too upfront for my tastes.

Rolls

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:14:46 AM »
I don't have too much experience using pecorino as we never used it in my household growing up. The other thing to be said about pecorino is that it covers a broad range of products, each with varying degrees of aging and sharpness. I think I'll try a small amount of Pecorino Romano in the sauce. I think a post-bake sprinkle would be too upfront for my tastes.

Rolls

Locatelli is a good start.  It's not as offensive as some others.  I use powdered Grande Romano.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:16:49 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline rlslmshdy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
Try good quality can crushed tomatoes. I like The taste way better than cans of whole tomatoes.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:11:36 PM by rlslmshdy »

Offline MikesPizzaTX

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »
Has anyone every milled their canned SM tomatoes?  The ones I order are Gustrosso DOP Certified, wondering if I should mill them?   Also, anyone using the kitchenaid mill?  Is it necessary to do this with canned tomatoes?   This is the one I'm thinking about getting

https://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[FVSFGA]-400002/FVSFGA/

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 05:14:59 PM »
I recently started removing the seeds (manually with a sieve) and think it will be hard to go back any other way, at least for pizza sauce, I'm really liking that perfectly smooth texture. Plus it applies very evenly compared to chunkier sauces.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 09:36:54 PM »
Has anyone every milled their canned SM tomatoes?  The ones I order are Gustrosso DOP Certified, wondering if I should mill them?   Also, anyone using the kitchenaid mill?  Is it necessary to do this with canned tomatoes?   This is the one I'm thinking about getting

https://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[FVSFGA]-400002/FVSFGA/

If you're only going to use the KA attachment for milling tomatoes for the odd pizza at home, I would say it probably isn't necessary. A simple stick blender would do the trick. I have a manual crank food mill that does a good job but I seldom take it out just for a can or two of tomatoes. You can even try hand crushing or using just a knife and fork to make quick work of breaking whole tomatoes into a chunky sauce.

Rolls

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »
Member Norcoscia uses the KA mill for pizza sauce. I think his sauce consistency looks perfect.