A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pomodorini Cherry Tomato  (Read 269 times)

Offline bbking

• I Love Pizza!
Pomodorini Cherry Tomato
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:51:25 AM »
Well I have been making pizza for about a week now, and have to admit that whilst my dough making skills are pretty bad at the moment, I have been having just as much fun trying to find my ideal pizza sauce!

My first port of call for my tomato sauce was Antonella tomatoes as they were readily available in a little shop not far from where i live for 1.50.  The Antonella got rated 3rd best in a group test on the guardian website here in the UK.  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jan/19/tinned-tomatoes-the-best-and-worst-taste-test

So I compared the Anonella to a few other cans at cheaper price points, unsurprisingly I noted a slight improvement in flavour to the cheaper cans coming in at between 1/3 and 1/2 the price.  Enough to justify the extra expense + making a special trip to buy Antonella?  I think not!  :(

However..  last night in my local sainsbury's supermarket I found some Pomodorini Cherry Tomatoes, as soon as i got home i opened them up to have a taste....  One thing i had not anticipated is the fact they still had their skins on, for me skins on canned tomatoes is a big no no!! Especially on a pizza! 

Regardless of the skins I have a quick taste and what a treat! They had a lovely natural sweetness to them and so full of flavour and the juice was thick and yummy, would have happily drunk the stuff by the pint!

I ended up removing the skins from every tomato and making up a sauce with a handful of fresh basil, wee bit of oregano and it tasted amazing!! 

I was so surprised at how lovely they tasted, I had to google Pomodorini tomatoes to find out more and interestingly I found the following:

They are grown in Campania region in Italy, They have PDO protected status in much the same way as a San Marzano with Cultivation of Pomodorino being restricted to "18 comuni around Mount Vesuvius, pretty much all within the Vesuvius National Park." 

So, if that is the case does that essentially mean that they are kinda like the cherry tomato equivalent of a San Marzano??  or at least a little similar being grown in volcanic soil below Mount Vesuvius?

I have to admit i am now starting to believe all the hype about San Marzano tomatoes!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:10:25 PM by bbking »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Pomodorini Cherry Tomato
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
They are grown in Campania region in Italy, They have PDO protected status in much the same way as a San Marzano with Cultivation of Pomodorino being restricted to "18 comuni around Mount Vesuvius, pretty much all within the Vesuvius National Park." 
So, if that is the case does that essentially mean that they are kinda like the cherry tomato equivalent of a San Marzano??  or at least a little similar being grown in volcanic soil below Mount Vesuvius?

They're known as Pomodorini del Piennolo because they're tied in bunches and left to mature on the vine. They are cultivated in the same areas of Campania like the San Marzanos but are obviously a different varietal. Some great tomatoes coming from this region, though there are many others in Italy, such as the Apuglia region.

Rolls

A D V E R T I S E M E N T