A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: selling coffee at your pizza restaurant?  (Read 696 times)

Offline londonbeetle

• I Love Pizza!
selling coffee at your pizza restaurant?
« on: September 14, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
Hello shop owners-

what are your thoughts on selling coffee at your pizza restaurants?

Do you believe it is important to have coffee as a menu item? why - why not ?

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: selling coffee at your pizza restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »
What a great question. I never think of coffee with my hot pizza. Now the next morning when I have a few cold pieces, I love it with coffee.
Marty

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
One of the members here had a great little place in small town MI doing coffee and pizza. There are better pics here someplace, but I can't remember where.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22175.msg249623#msg249623
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »
A great question indeed, and I've asked myself that very question many times over. I'm a coffee drinker and I enjoy coffee with my dinner so when pizza is on my dinner menu I like my coffee but very few pizzerias offer it. It's easy to do, holds well and is a low cost item as coffee makers are not particularly expensive....I'm talking just regular coffee, not all of that gourmet stuff. I guess it's just off of their radar. Speaking selfishly, if you have the space and a place to plug in a coffee maker, give it a try, it's not an expensive venture and you can always sell it if it doesn't fly.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
I think it's great for dine in restaurants, since there is always some that like coffee with or after a meal.  Especially if you offer dessert (you should) and can really increase your revenue in other ways.  But keep in mind, quality should never decrease in anything you offer.  In addition, if you have regular, you definitely will need decaf. 

As a huge coffee snob, here's would I would recommend.  Know your customers!  Are you an authentic neoplitan, wood fired place serving authentic italian pizza/dishes? Then I would consider an espresso machine so you can stay authentic and offer espresso or capp's.

For most american style pizzeria's, I would stick with a good medium roast coffee and decaf.  A coffee pot is going to be a waste because you will get so few orders.  I might do a Keurig in this case or French press.  The French press will give you a much better brew but it's more time consuming and there is room for error.  The Keurig is fast and easy for all your employees not to screw up.  It's also cleaner.  Then you could just stick a couple different k-cup blends and Decaf as well.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
I thought about it but our shop is so small there is no room for a machine.  I have a Nespresso that I use in the back that we could use but the added  of making any thing else is too much for us.  Means milk, skim milk, the cups ( I would use the old school brown/white ones), silverware, sugar available to customers...........  Walter
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 02:43:53 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »
I thought about it but our shop is so small there is no room for a machine.  I have a Nespresso that I use in the back that we could use but the added  of making any thing else is too much for us.  Means milk, skim milk, the cups ( I would use the old school brown/white ones), silverware, sugar available to customers...........  Walter

Great point and just goes to show the importance of a simple menu... People are always talking to me about opening a pizza joint and having all these things like sandwiches and pasta, and seem to think it's no big deal to incorporate all those extra items.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »
Great point and just goes to show the importance of a simple menu... People are always talking to me about opening a pizza joint and having all these things like sandwiches and pasta, and seem to think it's no big deal to incorporate all those extra items.

Everything you make requires labor and the bigger the menu the more labor/space one needs.  This means more employees which means more overhead on labor/more sq ft of space/bigger walk in/headaches with labor/more open hours of operation/ and basically a dumbing down of products to fall in the muddle of the million other pizzerias in this country.  Just look at a PMQ or Pizza Today magazine and see all the ready made frozen stuff you can buy...........    It is not a set up for a full time owner on site at all times that is involved with all aspects of making/serving high quality in house made products.  Plus grease from cooking/frying mixes real good with flour from the mixer/shop in general and makes a greasy paste on your kitchen.   That is a lot of labor to clean and keep clean. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:56:01 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:41:05 AM »
Have you considered offering authentic Italian coffee from

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

The Brikka model produces the best results
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:44:01 AM by ebpizza »

Offline RPCLady

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »
Our small shop has offered coffee, had a coffee service... but over time, less and less people purchased it. They always said it was good, but we personally do not drink it.  We found it more of a waste to make coffee and have it sit all day long and never sell a cup.  So we switched to brewing a pot only when coffee was ordered....  Many people didn't like that concept so we sold even less.  We closed for 9 months, and just closed our account with the coffee service, so they took the machine.  If someone orders coffee I make it, but being back open this past year, I've sold maybe 4 cups!  I found some single serve one cup coffee filters from the Natural Grocers. I keep those on hand.  We purchased a double steel walled carafe, that we boil water and put in it just as we open.  So we always have hot water on the counter ready to serve tea or coffee... yet still no body buys coffee. (I have kept our grounds double sealed in ziplocks and keep in our freezer.  I'll likely never have to buy grounds the rest of the time we own this place.   

That is my experience -- simply hardly worth the bother.

wordpress