A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Insurance Rates for Delivery are outrageous!  (Read 649 times)

Offline hellskitchen

• I Love Pizza!
Insurance Rates for Delivery are outrageous!
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »
We spoke with an insurance agent this morning getting a quote for pizza delivery. To say the least we won't be delivering. It might be best anyhow due to us running a wood fired oven.

Rates are $15,000-$20,000 per year for 5 drivers. This is here in Alabama. Anyone else have rates this high? I couldn't believe my ears. How in the world do mom and pops stay in business doing deliveries?

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Insurance Rates for Delivery are outrageous!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 11:29:06 PM »
Delivery for us is a NEVER.  Pizza goes south quick in a box and turning it over to others to deliver it makes it a quality control issue. Our customers like the pizza enough to come in. A typical call is " Do you deliver?".  We say sorry but we don't.  99% of the time they respond "OK we will come to get it."  The mom and pops I grew up with outside of NYC in the 1960's-70's never delivered and when delivery started coming in to vogue they just hired kids or family to do it for peanuts with no worries of insurance.  Today is a new world of liability and pizza delivery is one of the most dangerous jobs in the country believe it or not.   Walter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:37:32 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline hellskitchen

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
Thanks Walter and thus is a reason we aren't going to deliver. You've made some valid points that had us questioning the option of delivery and we have made up our mind not to.

Offline _pizzajourney

• Enjoying the trip
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 03:34:25 PM »
This is a very good point. I havent looked into the insurance before but assumed it was very high. What are some thoughts and notes from Independant O/O that do chose to deliver?
Thanks!
JD

Offline souspizzaiolo

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
I get my "delivery" insurance through Illinois Casualty. It's nowhere as much $ as you are describing.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 07:27:24 PM »

... and pizza delivery is one of the most dangerous jobs in the country believe it or not.   Walter

Really? I'll have to look that up, but what's happening to them? I thought maybe getting mauled by a dog like other delivery workers, but the dog would probably go for the pizza once he dropped it. Maybe hungry snipers.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:10 PM »

Really? I'll have to look that up, but what's happening to them? I thought maybe getting mauled by a dog like other delivery workers, but the dog would probably go for the pizza once he dropped it. Maybe hungry snipers.

We don't do delivery but from what I have heard - accidents, robbery, assaults.  Most delivery places sell cheap low quality pies and a lot of them go to the ghetto and marginal areas........   I balk at it because pizzas don't travel well in boxes and to send them out with people there is no telling how the drivers will treat them, how long till it gets delivered.  Getting stoned is another common pizza delivery job trait :-D.  The few places that delivered back in my youth in metro NYC used family members who were trust worthy. Walter
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:14:49 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline JoePie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 12:46:12 PM »
What about Uber Eats or any of the other delivery marketplaces, are they in your area? Some will tell you their fees are too high, but how do those compare with personnel costs if you hired your own team?