A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Number of decks?  (Read 339 times)

Offline Honkhonkhonkhonk

• I Love Pizza!
Number of decks?
« on: November 03, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
Ahoy. I am currently in the process of developing my own pizzeria in Warsaw, Poland, and having chosen my oven, I can't seem to decide on the number and size of decks I should go with. The oven of choice is Moretti Forni serie S evolution, but an exact model is where I'm struggling.
To keep things short: there's either s100e (1 deck takes 4 35cm pizzas) or s120e (1 deck = 6 35cm pizzas). My pizzeria has around 36 seats, with predicted peak hours around 6-9pm. What I assume for the beginning is about 100 pizzas a day (I plan to be prepared for 150). Now the choice is, I think, between a double deck s100 model or a single deck s120 model. I would very much rather choose the former, but I must admit that the extra ~5 000 euros (which technically only gives me space for 2 more pizzas at once) is not to be taken lightly.
On the other hand, I do realize how helpful it could be in case of a single, 8 pizza order (although I hope not to host big reservations), or perhaps if I decided to make another type of pizza (different deck, different temperature). What's more, it could possibly help me keep my energy bills lower, since I could keep one deck off on less busy days?

I would really appreciate any and all thoughts on the matter.
Thanks in advance.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Number of decks?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
If it were me, I'd go with two of the large decks for the added capacity to accommodate future growth. You can leave one deck turned off if not needed. You will also be glad you have two decks when you begin getting special orders on top of those from your dine-in.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Honkhonkhonkhonk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »
Thanks much for the reply. Could you please specify what do you mean by special orders (take away?). I'm wondering, if the larger deck for 6 pizzas is even worth it, since I was planning to have 1 pizzaiolo working per shift? Or should there perhaps be 2 pizzaiolos working at the same time in a 35-40 seater pizzeria? Excuse my newbie concerns, but I was thinking it could be challenging to make 6 pizzas at once in a circa 360 degree celsius electric oven (it's what works best for the dough I'm making from my experience), while trying to open the oven door as little as possible in order to keep the temperature up. What do you think?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:06:45 AM »
A special order is the person who walks in and orders five pizzas or more for a party or ten or more for an office party, and then you have a kids soccer team coming in after practice or a game ordering five or ten pizzas, and don't forget about the catering event where a food caterer contacts you to provide pizzas for a "special" event, I've seen these orders come in at 20 or more pizzas, mind you.......this is all in addition to your regular pizza production. For the operation as you have described it so far I would estimate that, behind the counter, you will need one person opening skins and dressing skins and one person as an oven tender and one person plating or boxing the pizzas and a cashier. You will also need a wait staff to take care of the table service on the other side of the counter, and if you don't have a commercial dishwasher you will need to have an additional person behind the counter for washing dishes.

Offline Honkhonkhonkhonk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 05:43:53 PM »
Thank you for all the tips, I really appreciate it. Do you think a separate employee for plating pizzas is necessary? I'll also give it some thought and will keep you posted!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
Most likely you will need a person for plating and boxing.

wordpress