A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza sauce become incredibly thick overnight  (Read 324 times)

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza sauce become incredibly thick overnight
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »
I  made a simple uncooked sauce with passata, tiny bit of tomato paste,  oregano, basil, black pepper, salt, sugar and onion and garlic powder

It was the right consistency but refrigerated over night it became so thick  I had to water it down loads

I know its normal to be thicker when cold compared to room temp but is there anything else that causes this?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza sauce become incredibly thick overnight
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »
Most likely it's the garlic powder. It can coagulate the sauce.

Try a sauce without it and see if that's the cuplrit. You can always sprinkle a little garlic on it once the sauce is applied to the pizza.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »
That's absolutely correct, the garlic and onion will cause the pectin in the tomato to gel resulting in the thickening which you are seeing. You can either add the onion and garlic at the time of serving or you can "nuke" the onion and garlic in some water and then add it to the sauce as you presently are. The heating of the onion and garlic to 180F or above will deactivate the enzymes responsible for the thickening. I usually tell people to heat the onion and garlic until it boils so you know for sure that you reached a minimum temperature of 180F. The heating process will also serve to release (pop) the flavors from the onion and garlic too.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Thanks that explains it I always used to heat up the herbs and garlic/onion powder in the juice before adding the rest but lately I skipped it. 

I do the following.   Open a tin of plum tomatoes,  let some of the juice (the ones I buy are pretty thick ) into a microwaveable jug. Put in the herbs and powders,  microwave it until its boiling.  Add the rest of the tomatoes that I hand crush and then leave in fridge overnight. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:49:52 PM by MadMatt »

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress