A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Agree, 200 dollars more is a good deal for twice the capacity but does not really help me - at least not w/o seeing an electrical schematic. I doubt it is wired to take advantage of the extra current if only one oven is on but I can't be 100% sure. In any case, I really like the compact size of the oven but that is also my main concern.

I want to get back to cooking on the floor w/o any paper or screens - and I want to make 18 inch pies. I also like wine - those three things don't go together in an 18 inch oven (at least not for me).

I also would prefer independent temp controls for the top and bottom of the oven - I have never had that (and I assume) it would help me dial in the right balance w/o me having to adjust my recipe for the oven. That might not be true (or a big deal) but if I had it -- I could always choose no to use it (set them the same) but without that feature I'll never know or I think I'll need to do the kabuki with the ON/OFF switches. Not a show stopper but not my preference.

On the up side (as you have demonstrated) it can work great (in the right hands) and it is a butt load cheaper than anything with a slightly bigger deck.

I really really appreciate the help and information you have provided but I still want to think about what I want and how much I'm willing to / can afford to pay for it - besides my grill and the wiring was not cheap (like me) so I need to wait a bit  :'(
Pizza News / Re: Joe Beddia and his new book “Pizza Camp”
« Last post by norma427 on Today at 06:04:16 PM »
There was a nice article about Joe Beddia in our local newspaper this past Sunday, or so I thought it was.  Purchased a newspaper and so did my daughter (at different places), but there was no article to be found.  I called LNP (lancasteronline) and asked where the article was Monday.  They told me that subscribers to the LNP get the magazine for free and the magazine isn't in with the regular Sunday newspaper.  I then asked if I could get the magazine.  LNP said they will send it to me.  The magazine came today. 

There is a recipe for Arrabbiata Pizza in the magazine. 

I had to laugh when one of my friends and my mother told me there was also something small about me included in the article.

Joe also graduated from the same high school that I did, but way after me.  :-D Matt said he will take me to Pizzeria Beddia next week or the following week.

Norma
Mike,

I agree with you. I would never suggest that one fiddle around with a home oven like Jeff and Scott did. I cited my story about what Scott did to his oven to demonstrate the deficiency of a home oven in terms of competing with a commercial deck oven.

Peter

Peter,

No,no,no!  ;D

I didn't mean to imply you were in favor of hacking or modding a home oven!

I know you wouldn't advise it. I was just speaking in general and from my experience. It was naive of me to try that when I didn't know what temps my home oven back then would be able to handle, what its insulation was, etc.

Could have burned the house down as far as I know. Scary thought, in hindsight.
Peter,

I did the "hack" oven thing a few years back and would not advise it to anyone due to safety hazards. It did work and made good pizzas but the risk factor is too high, imo.
Mike,

I agree with you. I would never suggest that one fiddle around with a home oven like Jeff and Scott did. I cited my story about what Scott did to his oven to demonstrate the deficiency of a home oven in terms of competing with a commercial deck oven.

Peter
Home Ovens / Re: Help with my new Pizza Party Bollore
« Last post by italdream on Today at 05:36:55 PM »
I would recommend raising the temp to the mid to high 800sF. And you should probably try to go as thin as possible. Leave the dough out for a few hours at room temperature when possible. Straight out of the refrigerator, it is difficult to open and stretch a pre-made supermarket dough. I used TJ twice on my practice pies when experimenting with launching. It is cheap and decent, yet does not compare with anything 00 unmalted higher hydration that you could do at home.
Neapolitan Style / Re: Crema di pistacchio di bronte
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 05:36:16 PM »
My guess is that the nuts are lightly toasted then pureed with evoo and some salt and perhaps strained. I'd be surprised if there was any other cooking. You could try other things in it too - things like you might find in pesto like basio and/or garlic.
Yes, that was why I started this post - I know some ovens work better than others, I can imagine some of the reasons but I really don't have any measurements or real data to back up what I'm surmising. I see great pizza coming out of your new oven and I'm sure it works better than a standard home oven - but I don't know why.

It does work much better than my home oven. My money is on the compact design, the ventilation and heat supply. I must admit, I thought I made great pizzas before, and I have I'm sure about that, but this oven was a game changer for me. Not to mention the day testing dough's with Tony Gemignani at his place. I realized then and there that I would have a hard time achieving those bakes without the right tool. So I did some research and settled on the WPO500, also mainly due to the 110V. 220V was out of the question.

However, TG advised me that 220V is most likely always better in terms of recovery and steady temperature. Since you have a 220V supply I'd consider this one:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring-wpo750-double-deck-countertop-pizza-oven-with-two-independent-chambers-240v/929WPO750.html

It's exactly only $200 more than what I paid for mine. Free shipping included  ;D
« Last post by italdream on Today at 05:29:08 PM »
Hello I am need help with my new Bollore with Saputo floor.   A little background previously, I had been making my pizza's on a Blackstone for the last 3 years and have zero experience with this type oven.   

Here is what happened.   My brother-in-law calls and invites himself over.  Short of time I buy dough at Trader Joes. I fire up the oven with LP gas.   I attempt two pizzas.  The first, I launch on a wood peel and its fairly thin.  Mistakenly I try to turn it and pull it out with the wood peel.   It just falls apart in the oven.    I brush out the mess and I am read to go again.    I have never had a pizza disaster like that before, chef's pride is hurt.   

Pizza 2.   I make this one a little thicker.  I also break out my new 8" Tony Gemignani signature metal turner.   Much better, no disaster.   However # 2 pizza cooks very fast.  I didn't time it but I suspect less than 1 minute.  The deck temp was around 800 and the over thermometer, 400 maybe a little higher.  I wasn't really exact with recording the temps and cooking times.  I pull it out when the tops of the crust are starting to burn.  It looks great on top but the bottom isn't done and is undercooked.   

Normally I use 00 flour but not in this case. What did I do wrong?  It appears that the dome temp must have been too hot in relation to the floor.  How do I fix this?

thanks
Ken

Well I had written a rant about how hot it was. I misread, you said under-cooked bottom
Neapolitan Style / Re: Crema di pistacchio di bronte
« Last post by LedZep84 on Today at 05:28:41 PM »
Thanks for your quick responds.

@Craig: Yeah, that's exactly the one I am looking for. Just mixing the ingridients or do think there is any cooking involved.

Simon.
« Last post by kenr on Today at 05:26:41 PM »
Ok, no more TJ dough, only homemade from now on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress