A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tampa Pizza: Woodfired Pizza & Pizza Squared: Detroit Style Pizza  (Read 2650 times)

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
A couple of years ago, a friend told me about a new pizza place close to where I work at the University of South Florida, Tampa. Woodfired Pizza & Wine Bar makes a great thin pie with only the best ingredients and I have been a regular for lunch ever since. When I found out that the owner, Peter Taylor, developed his Pizza Raquel recipe right here on this forum with help from many long time posters, I proceeded to read every post in the raquel thread. Now I can make my own version at home (dough recipe tweaked for a regular oven).

Peter is opening a second Woodfired Pizza across the bay in a very nice location in St. Petersburg, so I rarely see him at the Tampa location anymore, and I would honestly say the quality has sagged a bit here.

Now there is another option nearby for me and my pizza loving friends. Pizza Squared: Detroit Style Pizza.

I have been there twice so far and both pizzas were excellent. In contrast to the somewhat upscale sophistication of Peter's place, Pizza Squared has zero atmosphere (it looks like just a take out place with a few tables at the front). The owner has plans for remodeling when the business pick up, but right now it is simply a place to sit and eat a style of pizza unique in the area. I highly recommend it. I also researched this style of pizza and use PizzaHog's recipe with excellent results.

I include a pic from my second visit.

Offline Stevezilla

• Pizza Hates Me!
Re: Tampa Pizza: Woodfired Pizza & Pizza Squared: Detroit Style Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will be visiting soon and will try these out. I haven't had a Detroit yet, so looking forward to it.

Offline Stevezilla

• Pizza Hates Me!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
You ever see the movie Vacation? My going to Pizza Squared last night was about like that. It involved traffic, road construction, headaches, rain storms, and of course a restaurant location no longer in business.

Apparently the Sourh Tampa location is not in business, despite their website still showing it. In all it took me an incredible 3 hours to get there!

I got a Detroit with just cheese and my wife got a Hawaiian. They were good, but I don't have any other Detroits to compare it to.  The gentleman working was nice. It's too bad that they aren't doing well.

I look forward to checking out Woodfired next. I avoided Woodfired last night as I didn't think my kids would behave long enough to have a sit down meal with them.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the owner of Pizza Squared, Jamie, is a member, albeit inactive, of this forum: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17214.msg167393#msg167393. I think this article confirms that Jamie was behind Pizza Squared:

http://www.tbo.com/list/entertainment-dining/dining-review-get-acquainted-with-detroit-style-pies-at-pizza-squared-20140305/

Not quite four years ago, Jamie sent me a nice PM but at the time he said that he was having a problem with getting consistency with his Detroit style dough even though he was from Michigan, and was familiar with the Detroit style of pizza and also a Buddy's regular, and had the right pans properly seasoned. I told him that I wouldn't be of much help to him for a commercial setting, since I was only a home pizza hobbyist, so I referred him to the Hunt brothers at Via since he wouldn't be a competitor to them so they might have helped him for free or for a small fee. I also gave him a name of a friend who was doing consulting work at the time in case Jamie needed his help.

I hope that things get better with Jamie.

Peter

Offline Stevezilla

• Pizza Hates Me!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 09:32:20 PM »
I went to Woodfired tonight. The kids behaved perfectly and the pizzas were good, so no complaints out of me. I had to get the pizza Raquel because of the thread on this site. My wife had the palombino. I don't know the nuances of wfo pizza to comment, was just trying to experience it and develop a baseline.

Offline rpmfla

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 11:46:06 AM »
I'm pretty sure that the owner of Pizza Squared, Jamie, is a member, albeit inactive, of this forum: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17214.msg167393#msg167393. I think this article confirms that Jamie was behind Pizza Squared:

http://www.tbo.com/list/entertainment-dining/dining-review-get-acquainted-with-detroit-style-pies-at-pizza-squared-20140305/

Not quite four years ago, Jamie sent me a nice PM but at the time he said that he was having a problem with getting consistency with his Detroit style dough even though he was from Michigan, and was familiar with the Detroit style of pizza and also a Buddy's regular, and had the right pans properly seasoned. I told him that I wouldn't be of much help to him for a commercial setting, since I was only a home pizza hobbyist, so I referred him to the Hunt brothers at Via since he wouldn't be a competitor to them so they might have helped him for free or for a small fee. I also gave him a name of a friend who was doing consulting work at the time in case Jamie needed his help.

I hope that things get better with Jamie.

Peter

Very very disappointed to say that Pizza Squared, Detroit Style Pizza has closed rather suddenly here in Tampa. I happened to stop in at lunchtime for a pie and Jamie told me some guy offered him a very good price to buy him out and he could not refuse. It is now a [email protected]*!ing chicken and waffle joint.

As far as I could tell from word of mouth, Pizza Squared had a large (and growing) loyal fan base, so many people were sad at Jamie's closing. He was kind enough to regularly sell me blocks of his "Brick Cheese" that he used on his pizzas at cost so I could try and reproduce his Detroit Style pizzas at home. Jamie was a super nice guy so he and his Detroit Style pizzas will be missed in Tampa! Although a totally different style of pizza, Peter over at Woodfired is still going strong.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:47:53 AM by rpmfla »