A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Marchiano’s Bakery “Tomato Pies” Roxborough-Manayunk  (Read 10236 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: Marchiano’s Bakery “Tomato Pies” Roxborough-Manayunk
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
Bob,
This bread is from my home town in Sicily.  It's made with a very dry oil dough. Try it with Nutella.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 04:17:08 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for posting all the pictures of what you purchased.  :) The Oregnato ring looks very interesting.  The Pepperoni and cheese boli also looks very good.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »
Bob,
This bread is from my home town in Sicily.  It's made with a very dry oil dough. Try it with Nutella.

Matt
Matt,
Is there any special name for it and do you have any formulas?  The more I eat it the more I like it.  I think I would really like it with roasted peppers.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Matthew

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 05:50:13 PM »
Matt,
Is there any special name for it and do you have any formulas?  The more I eat it the more I like it.  I think I would really like it with roasted peppers.

Thanks,

Bob

Yes, it's called vottadu in our dialect.  It is phenomenal with peppers.  My mother used to make me pepper sandwiches with it for lunch when I was in school.  It is also fantastic with fettini di vitello,
This recipe is really good http://vivalafocaccia.com/2010/01/08/la-video-ricetta-del-pane-di-pasta-dura/

Matt

Offline Loarina Vega

• I Love Fried Dough Pizza
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 02:27:33 PM »
 Thank you Norma for all the links I'm reading quite a few of them I think that when I go to do my tomato pies I will go right to the edge with the Sauce ... since there's not too many components to the pizza it just looked like too much dough on the edges author=norma427 link=topic=21096.msg211950#msg211950 date=1348168492]
Norma
[/quote]

Offline Loarina Vega

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 05:01:03 PM »
Thank you Norma for this information Here are two screenshots that I found online and on one of your posts of authentic classic tomato pies... My decision on roasting the tomatoes fresh basil fresh garlic in the oven is making my sauce Thick and sweet pretty close almost identical of course after I added it good quality tomato paste in a little bit of water sugar oregano and garlic salt to taste

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
Thank you Norma for this information Here are two screenshots that I found online and on one of your posts of authentic classic tomato pies... My decision on roasting the tomatoes fresh basil fresh garlic in the oven is making my sauce Thick and sweet pretty close almost identical of course after I added it good quality tomato paste in a little bit of water sugar oregano and garlic salt to taste

Loarina,

Glad to hear your decision on roasting the tomatoes with other ingredients is making your sauce thick and sweet.   :)  I have a thread on roasting different tomatoes, tomato paste and other things if you are ever interested.

Norma

Offline Paul_65

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »
IMO, the best tomato pie in the Delaware Valley is Carlino's.  They have a location in Ardmore and West Chester.  Their sauce is chunkier, fresher tasting and less sweet than Marchiano's, Conshy or Corropolese.

Offline Loarina Vega

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 03:44:19 PM »
Loarina,

Glad to hear your decision on roasting the tomatoes with other ingredients is making your sauce thick and sweet.   :)  I have a thread on roasting different tomatoes, tomato paste and other things if you are ever interested.

Norma
I was looking for that the other day I entered roasting tomatoes on the Forum and couldn't find much if you would give me your thread of how you roasted tomatoes that would be so so great

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
IMO, the best tomato pie in the Delaware Valley is Carlino's.  They have a location in Ardmore and West Chester.  Their sauce is chunkier, fresher tasting and less sweet than Marchiano's, Conshy or Corropolese.

Thanks Paul_65! 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 07:25:59 PM »
I was looking for that the other day I entered roasting tomatoes on the Forum and couldn't find much if you would give me your thread of how you roasted tomatoes that would be so so great

Loarina,

This is the thread about roasting tomatoes.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=45149.0

Norma