Last night I made the most authentic NY Style slice pie in my years of pizza making. Here were a few key points that I think got me there:
1) I used 75% 7-11's food milled with a large sieve to remove major skins, and 25% whole peeled tomatoes food milled using my smallest sieve. Using the smallest sieve made the tomatoes pretty watery and it let me thin down the 7-11's without watering it down. It worked perfectly.
2) Thinner sauce, due to #1 above
3) First time using Grande cheese. It really is a premium cheese, has that true NY taste.
4) Thinner shred than I have been using.
5) Cheese & Sauce closer to room temp.
6) Cooked on a stone near the bottom of the oven, only convection no broiler needed due to #4 & 5 above.
Also made my best shredded buffalo chicken pizza. The pizza gods had my back last night