A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blaze Pizza  (Read 4142 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Blaze Pizza
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »
I live in a area with over 100k people and not one wood fired pizza shop. Not only that, but pizza here for the most part is crap

It sounds like an underserved market with business opportunities.  There's at least 7 wood fired places where I am serving 27k people and most of them have been around 10 years or more.

Online foreplease

• Supporting Member
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 02:51:31 AM »
I have heard it said they want to be the "Subway" of the pizza industry.

Hmmmm. There's nothing wrong with that, per se

If your goal is to make money and be the McDonald's of the burger industry, more power to you. Havachu!!

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 11:54:35 AM »
I tried Blaze Pizza in Paramus, NJ last week.  It's boujie pizza at the right price.  11" crust, unlimited toppings, I had ovalini mozzarella, regular mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms, pesto, sausage for $9.  About $6 for plain, and $7.50 for 1 topping including tax.

I don't think this will compete so much with Dominos, Pizza Hut and late night delivery model, as it will compete with the independent artisanal and wood fire pizzerias that upsell.  Someone saw the ridiculous margins those joints make, saw the opportunity, and started Blaze.  I predict many upscale boujie pizzerias will go out of business if they open these in Brooklyn.   Gentrification v2.0 where even the gentrifiers get further gentrified.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:16:24 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 05:34:06 PM »
So, you're saying, all things considered, you liked it?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 05:58:58 PM »
So, you're saying, all things considered, you liked it?

I thought the pizza was very good as a chain pizza, the crust is thin, crisp, nice chew and flavor, all the toppings are good quality.  It's just a great value.  That they make dough everyday from scratch in restaurant also makes a difference, no frozen dough or commissary deliveries.  I also know they use unbleached flour, everything else is all natural ingredients, no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives which would matter to a large demographic of diners.  I can see the concept being very successful.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:05:16 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
I went to a 1000 Degree which is a very similar concept, and saw bags of GM Neapolitan next to a nice spiral mixer. The pizza was just OK. There wasn't a single employee in the place that looked like they wanted to be there, and I've never seen people move so slow.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:19 PM »
I tried Blaze Pizza in Paramus, NJ last week.  It's boujie pizza at the right price.  11" crust, unlimited toppings, I had ovalini mozzarella, regular mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms, pesto, sausage for $9.  About $6 for plain, and $7.50 for 1 topping including tax.

I don't think this will compete so much with Dominos, Pizza Hut and late night delivery model, as it will compete with the independent artisanal and wood fire pizzerias that upsell.  Someone saw the ridiculous margins those joints make, saw the opportunity, and started Blaze.  I predict many upscale boujie pizzerias will go out of business if they open these in Brooklyn.   Gentrification v2.0 where even the gentrifiers get further gentrified.

Blaze uses a dough press, so I tend to think of it as a fancier looking bar pie, but without a bar.  Hopefully the artisinal places take it as a challenge to improve their pizza even more
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 09:14:50 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:56 PM »
Blaze uses a dough press, so I tend to think of it as a fancier looking bar pie, but without a bar.  Hopefully the artisinal places take it as a challenge to improve their pizza even more

Dough press makes sense, there is an indentation that forms the rim.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »
Hold on here!  HH,you came over the bridge to NJ and ate pizza?!! :-D

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2017, 09:47:52 AM »
Hold on here!  HH,you came over the bridge to NJ and ate pizza?!! :-D

What do you mean?  I love NJ.   Great eateries and pizza, and after stocking up at Costco in Clifton, always a stop by Rutt's Hut get a few well done deep fried hot dogs.  Patsy's in Paterson, bar pie and beer a must.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:57:37 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
Good to know :)

Hey, what about Pizza Town on RT 46 Elmwood Park ?

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »
Good to know :)

Hey, what about Pizza Town on RT 46 Elmwood Park ?

It's good pizza if you don't mind dealing with the bad service and I think it's a bit overrated with all the fanfare and hype, mostly for it's old age and nostalgia as a late night afterparty joint.  It stays true to old school Jersey tomato pies, but a bit too much tomato sauce to cheese ratio for my taste.  It's good but not a place I'd drive over the bridge to get.

If you're in the area, try Santoni's nearby in Garfield or Curioni's in Lodi. 

Regular pie at Santoni's:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:46:44 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Qapla

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 07:21:18 PM »
Blaze uses a dough press, ...

I have no problem with the use of a press. I used to work for the old Pizza Inn chain back in the 70's and 80's and we used a sheeter that pressed the thin crust dough quite thin.

What I would like is for Blaze to allow a little more time on their pressed round before making the pie. In most cases, unless they are "really swamped", the round is pressed then dressed immediately. If they are busy and have someone pressing only, they stack the pressed rounds on a rack that holds them for a few minutes before they are dressed (they are on pans at this point). If they are really swamped, they also stack them in any empty space they have near the dressing area. When this happens, even if it is only 5 minutes, to me, the pie is a little better.

I would like to see a 10 minute rest of one of their rounds before dressing to see how that is.

I always have them cook mine "well done" (takes 4 minutes or a little longer depending on how busy their oven is instead of their usual 3) and cut mine into 8 - they cut into 6.

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:24 AM »
A sheeter doesn't cook the dough like a press does though.

Offline communist

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »
Had Blaze Pizza in Gainesville Florida last month.  Busy college vibe.  Make your own pizza by picking your own toppings.  Fast service.  Pizza mildly tasty with a dead in the water crust.  No puffiness or air.   About a 4 minute bake. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
A sheeter doesn't cook the dough like a press does though.

How does a press cook the dough?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »
Had Blaze Pizza in Gainesville Florida last month.  Busy college vibe.  Make your own pizza by picking your own toppings.  Fast service.  Pizza mildly tasty with a dead in the water crust.  No puffiness or air.   About a 4 minute bake.
Mark,

Maybe they should rename the place Blasť  :-D

Peter