A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Blaze Pizza  (Read 4141 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Blaze Pizza
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 09:47:38 AM »
Mark,

Maybe they should rename the place Blasť  :-D

Peter

Best quote of the week and it's only Monday!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
How does a press cook the dough?

It presses at 300F.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
It presses at 300F.

You know for sure they press that hot? The presses I've seen run 110F-150F depending on the dough temp.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
I googled them after the first response and see up to 450F (it's adjustable).

Proluxe
Heated Platen Press
The secret to this product is the dual heated platens. Whether you par bake your dough or want to speed up the flattening process, the DoughPro Dual Heated Dough Press is the perfect piece of kitchen equipment for you. Each platen contains an independent heating system with separate controls that provide a temp range of 100-450 F. This allows for easy adjustment to find just the right temperature for your needs. You can easily shop for this product (Heated Platen Press) from this page.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 02:21:24 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
I googled them after the first response and see up to 450F (it's adjustable).

But is there a reason to think they press over 150F?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »
Been once which is the only time I've seen one of these presses. There is a digital temperature display for both the upper and lower plates. It's brief, but they were set to 242. During the press, the temperature was all over the place. No one seemed to be treating it like it was hot. Maybe it's an internal temperature. I thought the machine squeezed any life out of what looked to be a 24 hour dough based on dough bin markings.

The person using the press also used a disturbing amount of Wesson bake release spray. A lot of spray on the bottom plate, put the dough in the middle, more spray on top then smush. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170821/4b32948a501cb01e794f0195e74a6169.jpg

« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:26:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »
I found some more pictures from the visit...
First one is the pizzas getting made on the line
Second one is a close up of the middle pie. You can kind of see the lip the press leaves in the dough for a rim
And the third one is the finished pizza.

Offline Qapla

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
Had Blaze Pizza in Gainesville Florida last month....

Too bad I didn't know you were there, maybe we could have met in person at Blaze and had pizza.

Offline communist

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2017, 07:16:04 PM »
Too bad I didn't know you were there, maybe we could have met in person at Blaze and had pizza.
I will private message you when I am in the area again, Mark

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:43 AM »
Looks like Danny Meyer's "Martina" team hung out at Blaze for a bit. They even got the same oven...

I don't love the bake from Woodstone and think they are still only as reliable as the people running them. So long as relatively inexperienced college kids are baking your pizzas, they are going to be anywhere from "bad" to "satisfactory."

By the way, I don't think dough presses or sheeters are a bad thing. It really depends on how the equipment is used, to be honest. Put mediocre product in, get mediocre product out.

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Looks like Danny Meyer's "Martina" team hung out at Blaze for a bit. They even got the same oven...

I don't love the bake from Woodstone and think they are still only as reliable as the people running them. So long as relatively inexperienced college kids are baking your pizzas, they are going to be anywhere from "bad" to "satisfactory."

By the way, I don't think dough presses or sheeters are a bad thing. It really depends on how the equipment is used, to be honest. Put mediocre product in, get mediocre product out.

Martina opening is a reaction to current eating and spending habits in the city and most likely opened because places like Marta (it's sister restaurant) just doesn't do the business as before.  Places like this are a ghost town on weeknights.  Marta prices dinner service at $20-$30/pie inc tax for a 11-12" crackery thin "Roman style" for 1, a "margherita" with shredded mozzarella di bufala aka stracchiatella upsells at $30 and the epitome of bougie.  The concept's waning as Millennial and Gen X spending habits change, have kids, move to the burbs, etc.  Martina goes more utilitarian and casual at $9-$11 and the product is very similar to it's sister restaurant.  The owner knows what's coming.  Gen Z is coming of age, they are way more practical and frugal, less motivated by hype than prior generations, and most disturbing to the restaurant industry is the vast size of this demographic.   

My observations at the Paramus, NJ Blaze was those who looked like "college kids" were topping the pizzas only or at the register, the guy tending the ovens was certainly someone with alot more experience.  Their processes are very streamlined and looked to be consistent.  Blaze using a press shouldn't bother anyone as much as Marta using rolling pins.... and half of the employees at Marta look like college kids too in an assembly line, albeit in long beards, tight red jeans and baseball caps.  Both concepts aren't rocket science.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:41:14 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 11:35:10 PM »
I've had both decent and bad pizzas at both Blaze and Martina. I am not a big fan of Marta.

At both (and other casual counter service spots) I felt you could clearly see where money was being saved and what is being skimped on. That being said, Marta's 30 dollar stracciatella is unjustifiable.

If the future is counter service casual... I don't want to live on this planet anymore. It's interesting to see the landscape change and develop....

Offline Qapla

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »
I will private message you when I am in the area again, Mark

Make sure you give me a few days notice as I do not work in Gainesville every day - but I do have a flexible schedule.