A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mozza Los Angeles  (Read 850 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Mozza Los Angeles
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:05:35 PM »
We had the pleasure of eating at Mozza Pizzaria today. A really good crust and great fresh ingredients. Top notch service too.
Hans

Offline hotsawce

Re: Mozza Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »
I am so jealous! Monza is probably in my top 3 pizzas of all time. It's so unlike any other pizza I've ever had.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:16:36 PM »
I agree. Very different and very good.
Hans

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
Hans looks good. do they add a seasoning or parm to he crust? looks like there is something on the rim? how would you describe the dough ?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
We had the pleasure of eating at Mozza Pizzaria today. A really good crust and great fresh ingredients. Top notch service too.

Did you try their caprese and pane bianco?  I think I like that even more than their pizza.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »
Hans looks good. do they add a seasoning or parm to he crust? looks like there is something on the rim? how would you describe the dough ?

No, didn't seem to be anything added. Crust was crunchy on the outside and light inside.
Hans

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
Did you try their caprese and pane bianco?  I think I like that even more than their pizza.

No, I will next time. We had the roasted carrots and Inselata mista. Both very good. Looks like we should have gone to your place for pan pizza!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:00:20 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 12:06:52 AM »
Went to Pizzeria Mozza just for dessert after having Neapolitan pizza at Midici in Van Nuys.  I managed to get some video of their dough being stretched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rItExSIAwQ&feature=youtu.be

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:06:05 AM »
Nice photos. That last dessert looks amazing!
Hans

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 08:52:40 AM »
Nice photos. That last dessert looks amazing!

The one that looks like a bit of chocolate custard and two tiny cookies (butterscotch budino) was perhaps even more amazing as it won their pastry chef a James Beard award last year.  I wish there were a way for me to describe the different flavors but words fail me

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Went to Pizzeria Mozza just for dessert after having Neapolitan pizza at Midici in Van Nuys.  I managed to get some video of their dough being stretched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rItExSIAwQ&feature=youtu.be

That looks like a 3-4oz ladle the guy saucing the skin is using. Can't be more than that.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
Well, I talked my wife into going to Mozza last night for some pizza and lasagna.  The pizza with Jimmy Nardello peppers, 'nduja, Tomato & Smoked Scamorza was the most flavorful pizza I've had here.  I've never heard of Jimmy Nardello peppers prior to this, but I think they just made me forget that there ever was a Calabrian pepper.  The lasagna with spinach noodles was excellent (little, if any red sauce) and the lime cheesecake with passion fruit caramel sauce was a great way to end the meal.

Happy National Pizza Month!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:40:09 AM by jsaras »

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 03:24:46 PM »
Well those all look just wonderful! From the video it doesn't look like the rim is particularly protected but rather the large rim is from having neither sauce nor toppings...true? What was the story of the pie that had sauce only? Just a marinara with all else added post?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 04:20:48 PM »
Well those all look just wonderful! From the video it doesn't look like the rim is particularly protected but rather the large rim is from having neither sauce nor toppings...true? What was the story of the pie that had sauce only? Just a marinara with all else added post?

Although they do press out a rim when initially forming the skin the dough appears to be uniformly thin by the time it's stretched to size.  Their marina pizza is tomato, Sicilian oregano & olive oil. 

Although it's not shown, one of the more interesting pizzas had thinly shaved pineapple draped onto the pizza, jalapeno and speck added later.  A nice twist to an otherwise detestable practice :-D

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »
Thanks Jonas...I'd love to get there someday!