A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Need a good formulation and process for Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour (Blue)  (Read 627 times)

Offline mgcain12

• I Love Pizza!
Newbie here.  trying to up my game in the home pizza making department.  Have been cooking pies on a stone in my home oven at 550.  They are coming out ok but I haven't found a crust formulation I like yet, so I thought I would try this.  So far, I've just been using all purpose flour.  After being on this site for a couple days I can see now I need to throw out my whole dough strategy and start over.  My typical formulation has been 3 cups flour, 1 cup water, 1/2 tsp IDY, 1 TBS oil, 1 TSP salt, mixed by hand, knead by hand for 5 minutes, and a room temp ferment of 3-4 hours.  Results are all over the board. 

They say the first step to healing is knowing you have a problem.....Help! :-[

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Need a good formulation and process for Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour (Blue)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 03:24:45 PM »
The first step toward your recovery is to ditch the 00 flour like bad crack and get a bag of bread flour (King Arthur Bread Flour, Gold Medal Better for Bread or Pilsbury Bread flour).

The second step is to purchase a digital food scale and use formulations expressed in weights and percentages. 
As your sponsor, I also recommend that you get a secondary scale that can measure to 0.01 grams to weigh yeast and salt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012LOQUQ/?tag=pmak-20 and an infrared thermometer  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=pmak-20

At your first recovery meeting post pictures of the first Lehmann dough you make and we'll all cheer you on.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:26:17 PM by jsaras »
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline mgcain12

• I Love Pizza!
Where do I find the Lehman dough recipe?  I see a lot of references to it, but not the actual recipe...

Offline hodgey1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
Where do I find the Lehman dough recipe?  I see a lot of references to it, but not the actual recipe...

https://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza-recipes.html

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mgcain12

• I Love Pizza!
Ok - I acquired the items from above and had a go at creating an "emergency" dough over the weekend.  Here is the formulation I used...

Stop N Shop Bread Flour - 100%  475g - enough for two pies
Water                            -   63%  299g - 87 Degrees
Salt                               - 1.75% 8.31g
EV Olive Oil                    - 1.00% 4.75g
ADY                               - 1.75% 7.1g
Dough ball was 82 degrees after kneading

I mixed the dough by hand (no KA mixer yet) and kneaded for about 7 minutes, rested for 5, and continued kneading for another 3-4 minutes until dough was smooth.  I set aside in an oiled bowl for a 2 hour room temp ferment, and it more than doubled in size.  I skinned and dressed the pizzas and cooked on a 550 degree stone, verified with my new handy IR thermometer.  Pizza was good, and the crust was "better than my average", but still not WOW!  crust was crispy but had a tendency to be a little too chewy. 

More work to do, but this will serve as "baseline".  I'll try a good two day cold ferment next. 
Pics below:

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
Well, it does say "Emergency Dough" in the title.   :-D

Two-day CF is a good place to start looking for WOW. Are you planning to cut back the ADY? You could use 1/4 as much.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday