A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking to work on my cracker crust but my stone is broke and I don't have a cutter pan, so I need to buy something. I'm wondering which bake you all prefer, direct to stone or fried in a cutter pan?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »
Cutter pan for sure !! Not fried though Baked
hec these threads in "JConk does cracker" "Crackalicious"  or "Polly wanted another cracker" thread :)   no I want this too !  :drool:
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:52:30 PM »

So a cutter pan on a stone? Any preference for perforated pan vs not? I grew up on this style pizza but I'm not that familiar with how the places I grew up eating used to actually make it. I'm from St Louis and many places use conveyors now from what I gather, though I assume they used to use decks at one point.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:51:06 AM »
A solid bottom cutter pan is used. Get a dark colored (anodized aluminum) one if you can, if you can't be sure to season it prior to use.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
 When I par bake a cracker crust I start out using a cutter pan. After pulling the crust out of the oven to add toppings I remove the crust from the pan add toppings, and then place the crust directly on the stone. It seems to help in getting a crisper crust. Sometimes I don't use a cutter pan and don't par bake the crust. I just dock the skin and add the toppings. Then it is straight to the stone.  I used to just cook the pie in the cutter pan directly on the stone and it worked well. I just prefer to cook on a stone when making any style of pizza.  Your best bet is what the Doctor said..."A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it."

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
When I par bake a cracker crust I start out using a cutter pan. After pulling the crust out of the oven to add toppings I remove the crust from the pan add toppings, and then place the crust directly on the stone. It seems to help in getting a crisper crust. Sometimes I don't use a cutter pan and don't par bake the crust. I just dock the skin and add the toppings. Then it is straight to the stone.  I used to just cook the pie in the cutter pan directly on the stone and it worked well. I just prefer to cook on a stone when making any style of pizza.  Your best bet is what the Doctor said..."A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it."
^^^

I'm with Nick.  I personally have not had good luck with cutter pans, even the dark anodized aluminum ones - I prefer a stone for all my pizzas except deep-dish where it doesn't really count.  If you are going with a cutter pan, I like Nick's suggestion: use it to par-bake first, then finish it off directly on a stone.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline theGreenSurfer

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
Can I ask why you aren't able to cook on a broken stone? Mine have broken into 4 pieces but I can still push them back together and use it.
I got a coated pstk cutter pan from Lloyd pans. Works great and no little scraped off bits of metal that I usually get with bare aluminum.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »
Actually, there is no reason why you can't bake a pizza in a pan or on a disk in an oven with broken stones, it's when you try to bake a pizza DIRECTLY on the deck with a damaged deck that the real fun begins as the dough can stick in the cracks or those same cracks will impede the ability of your peel to get under the crust to spin, move or remove the pizza from the oven. I once had a Bakers Pride deck oven with a crack right across the middle of the stone (composite decking material) it was always a pain as the peel would constantly get hung up on it so one fine day I took a hand held grinder and flattened the crack out by grinding off the high side of the crack, problem solved and we never had any problems with it after that.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 09:07:15 PM »

Hey all,

I'm looking to work on my cracker crust but my stone is broke and I don't have a cutter pan, so I need to buy something. I'm wondering which bake you all prefer, direct to stone or fried in a cutter pan?

What did you end up getting? One of American Metalcraft's CAR pans?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
Once I ground the crack down so both sides were even we could bake right on the deck or use screens without any difficulty.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 09:12:56 PM »
found the answer.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:12:25 AM by csnack »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 11:22:02 PM »

What did you end up getting? One of American Metalcraft's CAR pans?

I ended up baking the crackers direct to stone, never picked anything up. I think I parbake for 4 minutes, stone on the center rack. I have a 14" pizza pan but it's perforated; more for American style I guess; but I made a pie a few weeks ago starting in that buttered perforated pan and finished on stone, and the texture was awesome. The perforations make these cool nubby dimples that toast up on the stone.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 01:17:10 AM »
I was wondering what is meant here by "decking." Is the cutter pan to be placed on something other than directly on the oven rack when baking? Like, the cutter pan should be placed on a preheated stone like you would with the PH pan pizza clone? I don't believe I've read anything like that.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
Can I ask why you aren't able to cook on a broken stone? Mine have broken into 4 pieces but I can still push them back together and use it.
I got a coated pstk cutter pan from Lloyd pans. Works great and no little scraped off bits of metal that I usually get with bare aluminum.

I've done my fair share of baking with them broken. I made a bunch of pizzas on my first broken one, but I've went up in pizza size and it's super frustrating to push the stone apart when trying to turn the pizza. My stones have all been super cheap and thin so they don't have much mass, I imagine a sturdier stone would be less resistant to moving around. What sized cutter pan did you get? I've been eyeing the Lloyds for a while, I also want one of their Sicilian pans, I've gotten by using regular 9x13 pans but the straight sides make it hard to get a spatula under to remove, especially if I have a sticking problem which I've had lately with my high hydration focaccia I bake in the same pan.

I was wondering what is meant here by "decking." Is the cutter pan to be placed on something other than directly on the oven rack when baking? Like, the cutter pan should be placed on a preheated stone like you would with the PH pan pizza clone? I don't believe I've read anything like that.

As far as I know decking does refer to a stone.

Offline theGreenSurfer

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 12:12:05 PM »
I got the 18"cutter pan. I think they measure from the bottom and it tapers out so be sure you take a measurement of your oven if you decide to get a big one. I make Sicilian/Grandma style with a half sheet pstk from Lloyd with a 71% hydration and no sticking at all, it's also tapered so there should be no problems getting it out.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:05:59 AM by theGreenSurfer »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »
I've been baking on my broken stone for years.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »
That's cool. I just bought one. Is that how they end up looking? Cool.

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 02:43:08 PM »
I've been baking on my broken stone for years.

It's only broke in half, when they crack in more pieces it's easy to push them apart with the peel.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 02:44:49 PM »
It's only broke in half, when they crack in more pieces it's easy to push them apart with the peel.
How did yours break?

wordpress