A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?  (Read 294 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »
Hey all,

I'm looking to work on my cracker crust but my stone is broke and I don't have a cutter pan, so I need to buy something. I'm wondering which bake you all prefer, direct to stone or fried in a cutter pan?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Cracker Crust - stone vs cutter pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:18:48 PM »
Cutter pan for sure !! Not fried though Baked
hec these threads in "JConk does cracker" "Crackalicious"  or "Polly wanted another cracker" thread :)   no I want this too !  :drool:
JOhn
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfire.net

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:36:20 PM »
A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:52:30 PM »
A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it.

So a cutter pan on a stone? Any preference for perforated pan vs not? I grew up on this style pizza but I'm not that familiar with how the places I grew up eating used to actually make it. I'm from St Louis and many places use conveyors now from what I gather, though I assume they used to use decks at one point.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 12:51:06 AM »
A solid bottom cutter pan is used. Get a dark colored (anodized aluminum) one if you can, if you can't be sure to season it prior to use.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 06:17:40 PM »
 When I par bake a cracker crust I start out using a cutter pan. After pulling the crust out of the oven to add toppings I remove the crust from the pan add toppings, and then place the crust directly on the stone. It seems to help in getting a crisper crust. Sometimes I don't use a cutter pan and don't par bake the crust. I just dock the skin and add the toppings. Then it is straight to the stone.  I used to just cook the pie in the cutter pan directly on the stone and it worked well. I just prefer to cook on a stone when making any style of pizza.  Your best bet is what the Doctor said..."A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it."

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:30:37 PM »
When I par bake a cracker crust I start out using a cutter pan. After pulling the crust out of the oven to add toppings I remove the crust from the pan add toppings, and then place the crust directly on the stone. It seems to help in getting a crisper crust. Sometimes I don't use a cutter pan and don't par bake the crust. I just dock the skin and add the toppings. Then it is straight to the stone.  I used to just cook the pie in the cutter pan directly on the stone and it worked well. I just prefer to cook on a stone when making any style of pizza.  Your best bet is what the Doctor said..."A cutter pan without question, but with some type of decking under it."
^^^

I'm with Nick.  I personally have not had good luck with cutter pans, even the dark anodized aluminum ones - I prefer a stone for all my pizzas except deep-dish where it doesn't really count.  If you are going with a cutter pan, I like Nick's suggestion: use it to par-bake first, then finish it off directly on a stone.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.