A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Crust came out uneven  (Read 422 times)

Offline rps50

• I Love Pizza!
Crust came out uneven
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:39:25 PM »
I've tried making Sicilian style pizza twice following the recipe in the Pizza Bible & both times after I parbaked the dough, the crust came out very uneven. Can someone tell why that's happening?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Crust came out uneven
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:52:24 AM »
Without actually seeing what the pizza looks like it is difficult to say just what the problem might be but here are a few things to look at:
1) Dough Absorption too low (typically, 58 to 60% is a pretty good place to begin).
2) If you are opening the dough by hand you might want to try using a pie/pastry pin or rolling pin to get the dough shaped to the pan, then finish fitting the dough to the pan by hand.
3) Too much yeast in the dough formula.
4) Insufficient final proof time prior to par-baking.
5) Par-baking at too high of a temperature (400 to 425F) is a good starting point.
6) Try inverting the crust onto a pizza screen or cooling rack IMMEDIATELY upon depanning the crust. This will do wonders to flatten the top.
7) Over baking the crust. With par-baked crusts there is a very fine line between properly baked and over or under baked. If you see sunken or translucent spots in the finished crust after cooling this is an indication of insufficient baking.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »
I've tried making Sicilian style pizza twice following the recipe in the Pizza Bible & both times after I parbaked the dough, the crust came out very uneven. Can someone tell why that's happening?
rps50,

It might also help to know if you deviated from the recipe or the dough preparation or management in any way?

Peter

Offline rps50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I will take note of them & if I run into the same problem, I will post a picture of the crust.

Offline rps50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
I made a third attempt with the following recipe:

King Arthur Hi Gluten Flour
69% Hydration
2% DMP
1% ADY
3% fine sea salt
1% oil

Parbaked on a 12 x 17 sheet pan at 425 on the oven rack. The unevenness appeared again although not as bad as the first two attempts. See pics of top & underside.

Feedback would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 06:24:55 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
The bottom of the crust looks like the dough could have used more mixing or fermentation to further relax the dough. The top would have flattened out much more if you had inverted the crust onto a cooling rack immediately after removing it from the oven #6 in my previous response.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline HarryHaller73

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »
I made a third attempt with the following recipe:

King Arthur Hi Gluten Flour
69% Hydration
2% DMP
1% ADY
3% fine sea salt
1% oil

Parbaked on a 12 x 17 sheet pan at 425 on the oven rack. The unevenness appeared again although not as bad as the first two attempts. See pics of top & underside.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Large voids in the undercrust is basically trapped air.  I used to prestretch dough and drop it in pan, and found this created alot of voids.  Try dropping the unstretched doughball in the center of pan, let it warm at RT for an hour or so to get more extensibility and then press down and outwards to create as best an even crust as you can. 

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:38:48 AM »
I do not know if this makes a difference, but the Pizza Bible recipe calls for 2% salt, not 3% and the dough is parbaked at 450, not 425.

The recipe calls for stretching in the pan, a 30 minute rest, stretching again and then waiting 1 1/2 to 2 hours before going in the oven.  If bubbles like that are obvious while the dough is rising, you can pop them with some finger tip pokes to burst them.  Also, dimpling around the pan lightly with your finger tips (with a small amount of olive oil to avoid sticking) before the final rise can help redistribute the gas more evenly in the dough.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:47:33 AM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline rps50

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 01:00:06 AM »
I do not know if this makes a difference, but the Pizza Bible recipe calls for 2% salt, not 3% and the dough is parbaked at 450, not 425.

The recipe calls for stretching in the pan, a 30 minute rest, stretching again and then waiting 1 1/2 to 2 hours before going in the oven.  If bubbles like that are obvious while the dough is rising, you can pop them with some finger tip pokes to burst them.  Also, dimpling around the pan lightly with your finger tips (with a small amount of olive oil to avoid sticking) before the final rise can help redistribute the gas more evenly in the dough.

I added 1% salt on the third attempt just because I thought the recipe needed more salt based on how it tasted the first two attempts & parbaked at 425 based on The Dough Doctor's suggestion.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
Will voids in the undercrust result from using the bottom of a dough ball as the bottom of the crust? When I have a 2 day cold ferment, looking through the bottom of the container I can see voids developing, while the top of the dough ball is smooth. I assume which side is chosen to become the bottom will impact the bake, but I haven't done enough pan bakes to confirm it.
Matt

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
rps50,

Frank's method of using oil to open a dough ball works well for pan pizza doughs.  The dough then gets even and it can just be put in an oiled pan and then proofed.  No need for par-baking but if you want to the oil method still works.  The dough can just be pressed out to size on the bench.  If you are interested in seeing how Frank opening a dough with oil, this is one of the videos at Reply 464 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg344105#msg344105 There are also other videos on that thread of Frank opening dough balls with oil.

Norma

wordpress