A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Cast iron pizza pan Pan vs. Stone in 550 electric home oven?  (Read 712 times)

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
Cast iron pizza pan Pan vs. Stone in 550 electric home oven?
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:37:32 PM »
I've only ever used the Lodge cast iron pizza pan for NY. Now that I've got my dough and other parameters dialed in it gives me exactly what I want for my pizza; great spring and the perfect amount of browning on the the bottom for me, which also consists of a very thin eggshell layer of crunch followed by a soft billowy crumb the rest of the way and is great for folding. And though very thin it does not flop down, but cantilevers. In a 550 electric home oven in 6min.

But it has this lip on it that drives me nuts. I can't always just slide my peel under to retrieve the pie mid bake to rotate it 180 if the pie nearly occupies the full 14" of the pan surface; it's usually a three hand operation and involves some Macgyvery as I work to retain the oven heat since my oven door doesn't stay put/open on its own except for those few useless inches in broiler position. I just need to make a smaller pie, but I guess I don't want to.

For those of you who use a stone for your NY pies in a 550 electric home oven - and especially those of you who use/used the Lodge or similar cast iron in the same environment - how do they compare? Will a good stone give me the same results I described above with the cast iron? I've got about 20" x 15" oven room and been checking out the 14.5" x 16.5" Old Stone. Idk, maybe it's not worth the hassle getting a stone for an extra 1/2" of lipless surface depth. All I really stand to gain is an up to an inch larger pie and a little easier retrieval and that's assuming AOTBE.. I mean if they made a flat cast iron plate like that Old Stone I'd get that in a heartbeat, as it otherwise gives me exactly what I want, and if it weren't for that lip I wouldn't even think about bothering with anything else.
(pics of a simple pie from the cast iron, 550 electric home oven in 6min)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:40:55 PM by csnack »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Cast iron pizza pan Pan vs. Stone in 550 electric home oven?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:44:06 PM »
The pizza looks great. I wouldn't mess with it. A suitably thick stone will probably hold a bit more heat, but it won't transfer it as fast as the cast iron. What will be the net effect of a change. There is no way to know without trying it. Someone else's results may tell you little or nothing about what will be the effect of a change. There are too many other variables. Yours may be the best results I've seen from a cast iron pan.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:56:20 PM »
Thanks man. So I guess the cook time may be longer due to the slower heat transfer than the  cast iron. The only thing I was really hoping for is a larger pie, but my oven rack that can only accommodate a 15" cooking surface before wedging it up is the real limiter. I suppose you're right in that I shouldn't go trying to fix what's definitely not broken. I'll just have to live with an under 14" pie. Poor me (another) 😪

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »
Thanks man. So I guess the cook time may be longer due to the slower heat transfer than the  cast iron. The only thing I was really hoping for is a larger pie, but my oven rack that can only accommodate a 15" cooking surface before wedging it up is the real limiter. I suppose you're right in that I shouldn't go trying to fix what's definitely not broken. I'll just have to live with an under 14" pie. Poor me (another) 😪

Check out local steel distributors and shop around for the best price.
If steel is cheap in your area you'll be in for a treat.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Seattle+steel&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=2

I would stick to steel/iron because you already have it down packed.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:08:47 PM »
Check out local steel distributors and shop around for the best price.
If steel is cheap in your area you'll be in for a treat.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Seattle+steel&btnG=Search&hl=en&gbv=2

I would stick to steel/iron because you already have it down packed.
You're saying a 1/2" steel should give me about the same results as the cast iron? I just got a 3/4" stone (corderwhatever) and it gives me a nice brown bottom, but it's not the crispy bottom like the cast iron hooks up.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
You're saying a 1/2" steel should give me about the same results as the cast iron? I just got a 3/4" stone (corderwhatever) and it gives me a nice brown bottom, but it's not the crispy bottom like the cast iron hooks up.
Yes, the results will be similar.

You'll get a bigger pizza and can bake pizzas one after another sooner with the steel plate.
The 1/2 steel should give slightly better results.

wordpress