A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Pie, West 72nd, Manhattan  (Read 488 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
My Pie, West 72nd, Manhattan
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:41:35 PM »
On my way to get a NYC parks tennis pass, stopped by My Pie, a Roman slice joint on west 72nd. Ordered a bufala mozz slice ($5 but the two pieces on my plate constitute one slice), not sure why this place doesn't have a line out the door every day. Well, actually, if I were to hazard a guess, it's outside the NYC tourist zone and seems to have flown under the foodie buzz.

We had pizza a couple of times in Rome but my palate wasn't as attuned to pizza back then. Still, the one slice I tried today seemed to be a good representation of Taglia a la Romana at a very fair price.  i'd be spending half my waking hours on an elliptical if this place was a little closer to our apt.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:24:39 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Re: My Pie, West 72nd, Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »
Nice. How does this crust compare to a NY Sicilian?
Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
It's focaccia bread with a crispy bottom. Have you seen member antilife's fabulous pizza?

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40750.0

I'd like to try my  hand at this at some point but it looks like it could take a lifetime to perfect.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:22:08 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:57:19 PM »
Thanks, antilife's pies are very pretty. There's a Roman place near my office (Merilu). It looks thinner, but I'll have to give it a shot. Nice find.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
I want some of that spinach and artichoke.

Offline wesslock

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:56:45 PM »
i agree , live on the block and its the best in the area ( which doesn't say much as there is a dearth of good pizza) Farinella around the corner really didn't do it.
Plus its too expensive , little Italy around the corner is a different animal.

One thing , it is an awkward set up to order and wait. Not sure why , but I order and pick up to bring home.  Love the pizza .

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
wesslock, I guess motorino is walking distance from 72nd but of course, it's not a slice joint. I've been to the little italy in the 90s, although its well reviewed on social media, imo, it's soulless pizza. Hopefully, the one by you is better.

Seems like a good block for an apt, we enjoyed Sushi Yasaka on sun night and had a good meal at Legend Szechuan about a year ago. We almost made an offer on a place at 72nd and broadway, then 84th close to cpw but ended a little further north.

best,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:08:58 PM by quietdesperation »

Offline wesslock

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
Motorino is worth the walk and agree that Little Italy* is not good, like I said for slice places in the area that are even decent. I have a WFO, not in the city , so when I want good pizza make it myself. The state of the simple slice in NY is terrible. there are so few places that suffice , shouldn't have to travel across the city for a good slice.

Got a slice at little Italy the other night coming home from Lincoln Center and could not believe how sweet the sauce was , like they dumped sugar in it. at Lincoln center the neoplolitan truck was there and was pretty good, albeit small and expensive.

wordpress