A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Little Napoli - Carmel by the Sea, CA  (Read 592 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Little Napoli - Carmel by the Sea, CA
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »
While vacationing in the Central Coast of California I had a hankering for pizza.  Using Yelp, this was the best place I could find within 5 miles, a VPN pizzeria that had also been  on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Both of those should have been red flags, but I went anyway  ::)  As you can see, the restaurant is gorgeous.  We had to dine on the patio outside with customers that had brought their dogs with them.  I haven't been anywhere outside of an animal shelter that had that many dogs.  It must be a wealthy person thing.  That aside, we ordered a pizza with soppressata and sausage.  The pizza was overtopped and overall it was just OK. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Little Napoli - Carmel by the Sea, CA
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:12:56 AM »
more pics

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:22:43 AM »
Anytime I see balsamic vinegar on a caprese salad I know the jig is up.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
Thanks the review and great pics, Jsaras.

I took the family to the Monterey peninsula back in March and we ate at a few places in Carmel while we were there.  My overall impression of the Carmel cuisine scene is that most of the restaurants look nice, but they live off of the tourists and the hype of Carmel more than their food.  We did not check out the pizzeria you mentioned, but from this recent and previous visits, we are not exactly ecstatic about the food in general.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:26 AM »
While vacationing in the Central Coast of California I had a hankering for pizza.  Using Yelp, this was the best place I could find within 5 miles, a VPN pizzeria that had also been  on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Both of those should have been red flags, but I went anyway  ::)  As you can see, the restaurant is gorgeous.  We had to dine on the patio outside with customers that had brought their dogs with them.  I haven't been anywhere outside of an animal shelter that had that many dogs.  It must be a wealthy person thing.  That aside, we ordered a pizza with soppressata and sausage.  The pizza was overtopped and overall it was just OK.

Carmel is well known as a "dog friendly" town.  Pretty much any restaurant with a patio allows and welcomes dogs.   Some even have a dog menu.  We go there a couple of times a year with our dog and stay in the Cypress Inn (one block down the hill from the Little Napoli restaurant).  It is owned by Doris Day (who is still alive and an animal welfare activist/philantropist) and allows dogs in the rooms.  The parade in the lobby of that hotel is a crack-up, especially at Xmas time.

Although the town is very foo-foo and loaded with tourists, we like going there a lot.  The beach is leash-free and terrific for walking and running the dog.  The scenery is hard to beat.  We really like browsing in the art galleries, there, etc.  Of all things, one of my favorite things to do there was to go to Carmel Valley (20 minutes inland) to shop at the Robert Talbott outlet store and buy a load of ties ($100+ ties for $20) for work.  Retired now, so no more ties  ;D ;D ;D !

I generally agree with Mad_Ernie about the restaurants.  Given the environment and the pricing, you would hope that more of the restaurants were "great" but that is not the case.  There is a short list that we go to in Carmel and have found some of the pickings better nearby in Monterey. 

I have never gone to Little Napoli, it looks to me like a "tourist trap" on steroids and the reviews were not great.  The place across the street, La Bicyclette has pretty good, very thin crust wood fired pizza but your pizza and mine are better.  Overall, their food offerings are excellent.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »
Hey, lemme join you guys and we'll open a great place...it's so beautiful there. we can  call it "Two Pizza Guys from California and a Pie Boy from Jersey"

With a name like that, how can we lose?! (Let me count the ways :-D )

By the way, the place looks wonderful...you just need to get a table there and have outside food delivered  >:D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
I think there is oil in that dough.  The technical term for that much bench flour is "caked on."
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
Thankfully, Carmel's charms extend past the pizza

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
Hey, lemme join you guys and we'll open a great place...it's so beautiful there. we can  call it "Two Pizza Guys from California and a Pie Boy from Jersey"

With a name like that, how can we lose?! (Let me count the ways :-D )

By the way, the place looks wonderful...you just need to get a table there and have outside food delivered  >:D

Great pizza or not so great pizza, I would go broke anyway.  If you divide the competitive (even high) price of a pizza by the time I put into making it, it is a paltry.  Including expenses, my net would be a negative number.  You would have a lot of slack to pick up. 
Mitch

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:01 PM »
Okay, I'll just enjoy the scenery :)   We'd go broke just paying for a sign big enough to fit that name :-D

Online mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 06:21:40 PM »
Thankfully, Carmel's charms extend past the pizza

Well done, Great photos!  I need to go back there soon - but when there is a dip in the tourist count.

Mitch

wordpress