A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Razza Pizza Artigianale  (Read 1397 times)

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Razza Pizza Artigianale
« on: September 29, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
I had the pleasure of meeting Jersey Pie Boy (Bill) at Razza for dinner yesterday.

All of the food was excellent. We started off meeting Dan, the owner. He could not have been more hospitable. He spent a lot of time with us talking about his pizza and the other food he makes. Dan is very passionate about his food and the ingredients he uses. The pizza crust tasted great and the toppings were flavorful worked well together. Everything from the bread & butter, meatballs to pizza were excellent.  It is obvious that he strives every day to do better than the day before.

I really enjoyed meeting Bill too. He is also very knowledgeable and passionate about pizza making!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:18:16 AM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
Re: Razza Pizza Artigianale
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:24:24 AM »
Nice looking pizza! Glad you and Bill had fun and enjoyed it -  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
Norm

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:51:11 AM »
Thanks Hans..my pleasure meeting you also!

As Hans noted, Dan's passion was evident in everything he did and said. A lot of pies are called artisanal..these are the real deal. Very light and thin with just a bit of crispness to the rim crust; the perfect amount of char. And it's no surprise the leftovers heated up wonderfully ( Hans was on the road, so he sent all leftovers home with me..I gave them a good home. though not their forever home..there's only one tiny slice left  ;D )

I was expecting this to be a great meal...my expectations were exceeded! 

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 12:47:25 PM »
Now that sounds like a good time! What was everyone's favorite?

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 01:08:30 PM »
Based on this photo I think Bill liked the pepperoni the best  :-D
Norm

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:49:37 PM »
Based on this photo I think Bill liked the pepperoni the best  :-D

:-D
Hans

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:13 PM »
Now that sounds like a good time! What was everyone's favorite?

I'm a sucker for pepperoni pie so that was my favorite. Though the others were excellent as well. I can't wait to go back!
Hans

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
Practice makes pizza

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:46 PM »
Looks Bianco-inspired?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
Looks Bianco-inspired?

It's definitely of his own making, lighter and thinner than Bianco. He said that he had a long list of attributes that he wanted in his pie and worked until he accomplished that.
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
I agree, all  excellent..there was another not shown that was made with fresh Jersey tomatoes, milled and topped simply with buffalo mozz and basil, We had to do a little slice rearranging to fit it on the table..it also  was great. If I had to call one, it would have been the pepperoni, Vermont Smoked, which is my favorite to use at home.

I've not tried Bianco's, but I too saw the resemblance. These were very thin and light.  And looking at pies delivered to nearby tables (yes, snooping), I could see there was a real consistency of bake , unlike some places where the pies vary a lot.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
Bill & Hans,

That looks like a ton of fun and the pizzas look amazing. I think it must have been right up Bill's alley since he's also a bread guy? I have seen that kind of crumb structure only in the Tartine bread. Amazing.

Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
I can't answer mmph's question, not having come close to trying them all, but I can say without reservation, it's certainly one of the very best I've ever had, I am also a huge fan of Scholl's, but obviously it's not in NYC, though Dan told us that he believes Portland is now a better pizza city than NYC. 

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
Absolutely Mike..the bread and butter he serves are quite inspirational. It's not most nights that I'm going out for 3 pizzas ( don't forget the side of meatballs)  that I think, well, I'd better have a bunch of bread and butter first   :-D , but this was not to be missed. I'm pretty sure I never even had homemade butter before. Hes so inventive he brought a sample of butter he;d inoculated to make it something that was a cross between butter and bleu cheese.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »
Absolutely Mike..the bread and butter he serves are quite inspirational. It's not most nights that I'm going out for 3 pizzas ( don't forget the side of meatballs)  that I think, well, I'd better have a bunch of bread and butter first   :-D , but this was not to be missed. I'm pretty sure I never even had homemade butter before. Hes so inventive he brought a sample of butter he;d inoculated to make it something that was a cross between butter and bleu cheese.

Wow.

On my next trip east, it's on the map for me.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
Oh yes,  not to be missed ^^^

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 08:35:50 PM »
I enjoyed the Razza pie. It was definitely a very bread inspired pizza if I'm going by what I had. Maybe a little too much dough for me but definitely super flavorful. For me, not as good as Bianco (but Bianco is thinner and more of what I like.) My pies were also pretty well charred from the oven...I think he could cut his doughball weight down slightly and it would be one of the best.

I can also say it's not a Bianco- like pizza except for the amount of time it spends in the oven. Not surprisingly, my favorite pies tend to be a little slower than a Neapolitan bake but not quite a coal oven temp bake. The exception is Mozza, which is high hydration so it can hold up to the longer bake. All of them are crispy without being dry.

Definitely a top 5 pizza for me. 1. Bianco, 2. Lucali 3. Mozza 4/5. Gjelina/Razza.

Though I haven't been to Portland, from what I've seen they lean more towards "bready" pizza...I'd imagine much of it is similar to Razza. Though I haven't tried PizzaHacker, I feel like his pizza would be at the top of the list for me. Looks like a naturally leavened Bianco pie...

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:41:25 PM by hotsawce »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »
Looks great.  I'm sorry I couldn't make the trip.  I would have even eaten a slice of the pepperoni pie.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:02:07 PM by jkb »

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
I'm SO JEALOUS!!! I'd just like to hang out with you guys and those look my my kind of pies!
Well done gents!!
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 09:28:36 PM »
Hey Lou,

I wish I could try Bianco..someday...I wonder how similar our pies were because this may have had the thimnest bottom crust I've had..but then, as noted I am of the bread school  :)  and yes, Brian Spangler and Ken Forkish the two leading Portland guys are bread men from the get-go

wordpress