A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NJ Boardwalk Pizza  (Read 428048 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza
« Reply #2200 on: February 23, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »
Norma,

How many helpers do you have at market?  Do they usually stick around for awhile, or do you have to replace them regularly?  I know you are very busy, and was just curious how much help you have :)

Andy,

I only have one helper at market, unless it was something like this past Tuesday when Bev came in the morning until 2:00 PM.  Bev then taught Liz what to mostly do for 2 hours.  Liz was a quick learner and I didn't have to explain a lot to her.  I would like to have more than one helper, but then everyone gets in each others way.  The stand is so small that even with just 2 we keep bumping into each other.  Usually helpers don't last really long, unless it was someone like my granddaughter that comes and goes.  When Liz decides to leave I might decide to sell the stand.  This past weekend I didn't know if I would have any helpers for this past Tuesday.  That makes it hard to decide how many doughs to prepare on a Saturday.  A helpers job is not easy either.

I have talked to other standholders at market recently and they are also having a hard time finding helpers that are good and reliable.  I understand that because it is only a one day job.

Norma

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2201 on: February 23, 2017, 06:21:19 PM »
NJ Boardwalk has this pizzeria called Sawmill that has massive slices.  One slice is equal to maybe 3 slices from a regular pizzeria.  I eat a lot and I barely finished them.  Quality is good though.

It's more like 2.25 slices (27" pie), but I loved the Sawmill 25 years ago for a decent slice and a Coke for $1.25.  I took my son to a local place yesterday that has 26" slice pies.  Two slices and a drink for $6.00.  Probably a better deal today than the Sawmill back then.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2202 on: February 24, 2017, 12:59:47 AM »
When Liz decides to leave I might decide to sell the stand.

Then Liz had better stay!

I can see the schedule makes it hard to  find a helper, but closing would be such a shame...You are the best!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2203 on: February 24, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »

Then Liz had better stay!

I can see the schedule makes it hard to  find a helper, but closing would be such a shame...You are the best!

Bill,

Liz is young and who knows what she might decide to do in the future.  At least I had one more day to make pizzas.  I enjoy making pizza for the public a lot, but am almost too old to do that all day long.  A whole day of making pizza almost nonstop takes it toll on me.  :-D Besides being tired after a day of making pizzas I don't get enough of the work done at home all week long.

I think what is meant to be is the way I think now. 

Thanks for your kind comments!  :)

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2204 on: February 25, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »
It looks like Charles Bangle, one of the owners of Manco & Manco, is headed off to do hard time:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/owner-of-popular-pizza-chain-sentenced-in-tax-fraud-case/ar-AAnkDHs?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2205 on: February 25, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
Upped the hydration from Peter's advise.  The dough batch didn't feel much of any difference than last week.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2206 on: March 02, 2017, 05:28:58 AM »
Didn't have much time to take photos, but the dough was easier to open.  Not as easy as the regular formula for market though.

I guess there needs to be more sauce and cheese applied to the edges.  The crust tasted good.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2207 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
So sorry to hear of Anthony Maruca's passing.  Anthony was only 23 years old.

https://snacksafely.com/2017/03/the-passing-of-anthony-maruca-yet-another-tragedy-for-the-family/

Norma

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2208 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:59 AM »
Very sad news, so tragic.  Thanks for letting us know, Norma.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2209 on: March 21, 2017, 12:15:33 AM »
That's absolutely horrible. 
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #2210 on: April 14, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
Upped the hydration from Peter's advise.  The dough batch didn't feel much of any difference than last week.

Norma

Good day Norma ,.......I've been out for quite long working in the forest but got back and ready to cook
a nice Boardwalk pizza !!....haha!.............Hope all is well by the way !

Came back from Walmart and got the sauce but think I got the wrong one ,.......I have the crushed tomato
but think I need the tomato paste ?...........on the web site here in Canada,......I only see small  cans of tomato paste,
will crushed tomato work and what is the amount of water ,oregano and salt do I need per can,..... cause I think that
you do big batches of dough and sauce for your place if I'm not mistaking.
Would you have a picture of the Walmart tomato can that I need or somewhere on the thread.

I'm surprised that there is no garlic or garlic powder in their sauce !
Another question I have is that here in Quebec ,I see Cracker Barrel medium strong and very old meaning very strong so
which one is the right one that equals Sharp ,...........medium or very strong ?

I know this picture is off topic but just made this nice square grandma pizza !.........Badabim-Badaboom !!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:17:02 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2211 on: April 14, 2017, 08:25:35 PM »
Good day Norma ,.......I've been out for quite long working in the forest but got back and ready to cook
a nice Boardwalk pizza !!....haha!.............Hope all is well by the way !

Came back from Walmart and got the sauce but think I got the wrong one ,.......I have the crushed tomato
but think I need the tomato paste ?...........on the web site here in Canada,......I only see small  cans of tomato paste,
will crushed tomato work and what is the amount of water ,oregano and salt do I need per can,..... cause I think that
you do big batches of dough and sauce for your place if I'm not mistaking.
Would you have a picture of the Walmart tomato can that I need or somewhere on the thread.

I'm surprised that there is no garlic or garlic powder in their sauce !
Another question I have is that here in Quebec ,I see Cracker Barrel medium strong and very old meaning very strong so
which one is the right one that equals Sharp ,...........medium or very strong ?

I know this picture is off topic but just made this nice square grandma pizza !.........Badabim-Badaboom !!

Hi Zeppi,

I used the Great Value Crushed tomatoes and the Great Value tomato paste.  Both links are at 2118 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg444072#msg444072 You only need one small can of the tomato paste, or might not need it at all to do a test.  I really don't know how much water, oregano, salt, pepper is needed for those two smaller cans.  You can put a little bit of things in the sauce and paste and just taste until you like it.  I do bigger batches of sauce but don't normally use those products.  Mack's sauce doesn't have any garlic taste at all. 

The photo of the Cracker Barrel Vermont Sharp White Cheddar is in the link below.  It says sharp but really isn't sharp.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648

Your square Grandma pizza looks very tasty!  :)

Norma

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #2212 on: April 14, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »
Hi Zeppi,

I used the Great Value Crushed tomatoes and the Great Value tomato paste.  Both links are at 2118 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg444072#msg444072 You only need one small can of the tomato paste, or might not need it at all to do a test.  I really don't know how much water, oregano, salt, pepper is needed for those two smaller cans.  You can put a little bit of things in the sauce and paste and just taste until you like it.  I do bigger batches of sauce but don't normally use those products.  Mack's sauce doesn't have any garlic taste at all. 

The photo of the Cracker Barrel Vermont Sharp White Cheddar is in the link below.  It says sharp but really isn't sharp.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cracker-Barrel-Vermont-Sharp-White-Cheese-8-oz/20550648

Your square Grandma pizza looks very tasty!  :)

Norma

Thank you very much Norma for the help !............I will try it for sure !!

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #2213 on: April 15, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
I tried yesterday the heavy oregano sauce listed below but ajust it for one can, and it was
awkward !!.......haha!..maybe I made a mistake .... This morning ,....I trow the sauce away !

8 cans of tomato sauce
2 cups oregano 16 oz.
1 cup black pepper 8 oz.
1 cup sugar 8 oz.
1 cup salt 8 oz.

One hour ago ,......I decided to make another one but with an amazing high quality
sweet tomato from Italy that is called *La Fiammante Il Pelati * ,......crushed them with my hands,
put one tea spoon of sugar ,half a tea spoon of black pepper , one tea spoon of oregano and one tea spoon of salt.
I shredded one quarter of medium sharp white cheddar with three quarter of mozzarella and then I took my
scissor and cut the cheese so it wouldn't be long shredded pieces anymore .

Put some cheese on  ,.then sauce and a little more cheese after but not much.
Six minutes baked on a pizza stone at 550 degres on bottom shelf.

The taste was so good !!.............This tomato is one of the best if not the best quality I ever tasted
and I only got it yesterday,.........the story is that a few hours from where I live, I bought a square grandma pizza
and the tomato that was on was amazing so when I got home ,I phone them to asked what I should do to get this nice taste
and the lady said it's a secret ,.so I said I understand and didn't want to know the receipe but some guidance.
So I asked ,.can we buy your tomato cans at your place and she said no it's a secret !!...........haha!
So to make a long story short ,went back to buy another pizza and before heading back home,....I walked my dog
in the back of the building and there was a big recycle bin where I saw the big yellow 2.84L cans of La Fiammante inside the bin.
I found a place in Montreal and bought some ,.......I also got the smaller green can without basil and it is with this on that
I cooked this pizza.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:10:10 PM by Zeppi »

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #2214 on: April 15, 2017, 07:01:06 PM »
Chris,

I did use the Walmart Great Value brands of crushed tomatoes and paste for the sauce.  I didn't measure the amount of extra ingredients, because I usually wing it when I make the sauce for market using the same ingredients.  If you saw the photo of November's MAE olive oil with other ingredients, I would say I used about a little less than a tablespoon in with the crushed tomatoes and paste.  For the oregano, Italian seasonings I would guess about a teaspoon of both.  I would also guess about 4 garlic cloves were used in the MAE method, but I only used a part of that oil infusion was used for the experimental Mack's sauce.  For the Kosher salt it might have been about ½ teaspoon.  For the sugar I added more after I tasted it, because it didn't taste as sweet as my normal sauce.  I would guess I added about 1/8 cup of food service Parmesan. About a pinch of red pepper flakes in the MAE method and in the final sauce.  I can tell you if different amounts are used it still tastes about the same after sitting for about a day in the refrigerator.  You can smell the garlic when the sauce is smelled, but it can't be tasted in the baked sauce.  To be truthful I have tried what someone told me in making a Mack's sauce with the ingredients they are supposed to add to the Gangi sauce.  In the end the sauce isn't really important in taste in combination with the flavors of the cheese and crust.  The thickness of the sauce should be that it can be poured with something with a spout.  I always add more oregano before I used my sauce and the experimental sauce I used.  I would have thought the extra oregano would be too much but it can't be tasted in the final baked pizza.  I know that might sound odd, but somehow that is what I taste and others that have tasted my sauce and pizzas think the same.

Norma

Hello again Norma !!

Today I decided to do some reading ,..so I've read all day since this morning
and went back in time a bit to catch up for the time I was gone and must say you are a passionnate person for sure!!
total opposite of boredom !!............Amazing read !

To make a long story short,
I came accross the MAE Microwave Method of doing things and must say  that I am so far
from this camp and method and I'll tell you why . Being Italian and seing my Grandma and Aunts cook since
I was young ,.........I noticed that Italian cuisine was made with the very good ingredients but with the least ingredients !...You follow me ?

Meaning that everything they cooked tasted like a dream but with almost no ingredients ,
they knew how to make a sauce taste like if the tomato fruit was alive and not dead !!
If I remember correctly ,........the Mack's pizza slice I had when I was young had my taste buds explode
as far as my inner ears or cheeks like a very good wine with the taste going past the tip of your tongue and tease your cheeks and ears !

I just hope I'm not going on the crazy side of explaining what I mean !..........and sorry for my English btw !

So after all those pages ,....I understand  that the dough was or is very important so is the cheese but I really feel
that the tomato sauce is one of the missing link in all this quest .  40 years ago when they started ,....they had no microwaves
and no MAE methods and I'm sure that it was a lot more simple than we think ,.

I know an Italian place that make's an awesome wood oven pizza and when they started in the early 80's,
the Grandma would make the delivery guy open up a can of tomatos and she would taste it ,.and if the taste was too acidic,
she would tell the driver ,you can go back,I don't want those tomatos ,......not sweet enough!

The La Fiammante IL Pelati tomato posted above,.... is a very good example of what I mean by good and simple
and I wish I could send you a can so you could taste it .
The amount of ingredients I've mixed in was subtle for a first test and it really tasted like there was something going on
in the back of my cheeks if you know what I mean ,.....The Mack's Tangy Thing !!!!.........or belly tickling thing but in the mouth !!

I'm sure that those Italians had a very simple recipe but with a perfect balance !!

I'm out of words ,..........going Nuts !!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:40:01 PM by Zeppi »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2215 on: April 15, 2017, 09:42:10 PM »
I tried yesterday the heavy oregano sauce listed below but ajust it for one can, and it was
awkward !!.......haha!..maybe I made a mistake .... This morning ,....I trow the sauce away !

8 cans of tomato sauce
2 cups oregano 16 oz.
1 cup black pepper 8 oz.
1 cup sugar 8 oz.
1 cup salt 8 oz.

One hour ago ,......I decided to make another one but with an amazing high quality
sweet tomato from Italy that is called *La Fiammante Il Pelati * ,......crushed them with my hands,
put one tea spoon of sugar ,half a tea spoon of black pepper , one tea spoon of oregano and one tea spoon of salt.
I shredded one quarter of medium sharp white cheddar with three quarter of mozzarella and then I took my
scissor and cut the cheese so it wouldn't be long shredded pieces anymore .

Put some cheese on  ,.then sauce and a little more cheese after but not much.
Six minutes baked on a pizza stone at 550 degres on bottom shelf.

The taste was so good !!.............This tomato is one of the best if not the best quality I ever tasted
and I only got it yesterday,.........the story is that a few hours from where I live, I bought a square grandma pizza
and the tomato that was on was amazing so when I got home ,I phone them to asked what I should do to get this nice taste
and the lady said it's a secret ,.so I said I understand and didn't want to know the receipe but some guidance.
So I asked ,.can we buy your tomato cans at your place and she said no it's a secret !!...........haha!
So to make a long story short ,went back to buy another pizza and before heading back home,....I walked my dog
in the back of the building and there was a big recycle bin where I saw the big yellow 2.84L cans of La Fiammante inside the bin.
I found a place in Montreal and bought some ,.......I also got the smaller green can without basil and it is with this on that
I cooked this pizza.

Zeppi,

Very good attempt at your pizza!  :chef:  I don't know if you are aware, but those amounts of ingredients to add to the 8 cans of tomatoes are for 8 #10 cans.  Those are the big cans of Gangi sauce.

Glad to hear you could walk your dog in back of the pizzeria and find the La Fiammante Il Pelati!  Your dumpster diving affects paid off.  ;D Those tomatoes sound very good!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2216 on: April 15, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
Hello again Norma !!

Today I decided to do some reading ,..so I've read all day since this morning
and went back in time a bit to catch up for the time I was gone and must say you are a passionnate person for sure!!
total opposite of boredom !!............Amazing read !

To make a long story short,
I came accross the MAE Microwave Method of doing things and must say  that I am so far
from this camp and method and I'll tell you why . Being Italian and seing my Grandma and Aunts cook since
I was young ,.........I noticed that Italian cuisine was made with the very good ingredients but with the least ingredients !...You follow me ?

Meaning that everything they cooked tasted like a dream but with almost no ingredients ,
they knew how to make a sauce taste like if the tomato fruit was alive and not dead !!
If I remember correctly ,........the Mack's pizza slice I had when I was young had my taste buds explode
as far as my inner ears or cheeks like a very good wine with the taste going past the tip of your tongue and tease your cheeks and ears !

I just hope I'm not going on the crazy side of explaining what I mean !..........and sorry for my English btw !

So after all those pages ,....I understand  that the dough was or is very important so is the cheese but I really feel
that the tomato sauce is one of the missing link in all this quest .  40 years ago when they started ,....they had no microwaves
and no MAE methods and I'm sure that it was a lot more simple than we think ,.

I know an Italian place that make's an awesome wood oven pizza and when they started in the early 80's,
the Grandma would make the delivery guy open up a can of tomatos and she would taste it ,.and if the taste was too acidic,
she would tell the driver ,you can go back,I don't want those tomatos ,......not sweet enough!

The La Fiammante IL Pelati tomato posted above,.... is a very good example of what I mean by good and simple
and I wish I could send you a can so you could taste it .
The amount of ingredients I've mixed in was subtle for a first test and it really tasted like there was something going on
in the back of my cheeks if you know what I mean ,.....The Mack's Tangy Thing !!!!.........or belly tickling thing but in the mouth !!

I'm sure that those Italians had a very simple recipe but with a perfect balance !!

I'm out of words ,..........going Nuts !!

Zeppi,

The reason for being passionate was because I really liked Mack's pizza years ago.  Now, it still can be good, but sometimes it isn't.

I can understand why you aren't interested in the MAE technique.  Many other members don't do that either.  I was given a pizza recipe by a local pizzeria and that recipe called for sautéing the garlic and some of the herbs in olive oil.  The MAE method just made it easier for me. 

I have talked at length with Madeline Mastro Ferrentino and she told me how her grandmother and mother made sauces for different foods and sauces for Sicilian pizzas.  Madeline is 90 years old so her grandmother and mother must have known something.  Madeline's family also had a lot of olives groves in Italy.  The way Madeline explained to me was they cooked the sauce but not for long.  There were different ingredients in the sauce.   Madeline father and brother invented the first gas deck ovens for pizzas.  There is more about Madeline and her family on the Evolution of NY pizza thread.   

I agree that Italian cusine can be made with very good ingredients and not many ingredients. 

I think Mack's sauce (which is the Gangi sauce w/basil) is a little bit tart, but somehow with the few other ingredients that are added and with the cheddar it makes a very tasty pizza.  Almost any pizza baked in the right oven with the right, formula, TF and balance of sauce and cheese will be good.   Of course you can changed things and also made a very good pizza. If a Mack's slice is tasted the crust really isn't that good.  I used to think the crust was good but it is the sauce and cheese that make a Mack's pizza good.  Also oregano can be tasted when eating a Mack's pizza.  A little bit of salt can also sweeten up any sauce. 

I also think wood-fired pizza don't need anything fancy to taste good. 

Lol, you made me crack up with your post!

Norma

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #2217 on: April 15, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »
Zeppi,

The reason for being passionate was because I really liked Mack's pizza years ago.  Now, it still can be good, but sometimes it isn't.

I can understand why you aren't interested in the MAE technique.  Many other members don't do that either.  I was given a pizza recipe by a local pizzeria and that recipe called for sautéing the garlic and some of the herbs in olive oil.  The MAE method just made it easier for me. 

I have talked at length with Madeline Mastro Ferrentino and she told me how her grandmother and mother made sauces for different foods and sauces for Sicilian pizzas.  Madeline is 90 years old so her grandmother and mother must have known something.  Madeline's family also had a lot of olives groves in Italy.  The way Madeline explained to me was they cooked the sauce but not for long.  There were different ingredients in the sauce.   Madeline father and brother invented the first gas deck ovens for pizzas.  There is more about Madeline and her family on the Evolution of NY pizza thread.   

I agree that Italian cusine can be made with very good ingredients and not many ingredients. 

I think Mack's sauce (which is the Gangi sauce w/basil) is a little bit tart, but somehow with the few other ingredients that are added and with the cheddar it makes a very tasty pizza.  Almost any pizza baked in the right oven with the right, formula, TF and balance of sauce and cheese will be good.   Of course you can changed things and also made a very good pizza. If a Mack's slice is tasted the crust really isn't that good.  I used to think the crust was good but it is the sauce and cheese that make a Mack's pizza good.  Also oregano can be tasted when eating a Mack's pizza.  A little bit of salt can also sweeten up any sauce. 

I also think wood-fired pizza don't need anything fancy to taste good. 

Lol, you made me crack up with your post!

Norma

Oh !!.........I feel a little better now !! :)...........I thought I wrote this all wrong
and you would take it on the bad side but really happy it went through peacefully
and I understand what your saying !!

Thank's for your generous time and great work !!

I appreciate and I guess we all do !

Lou

Offline Zeppi

« Reply #2218 on: April 16, 2017, 09:39:48 PM »
Zeppi,

Very good attempt at your pizza!  :chef:  I don't know if you are aware, but those amounts of ingredients to add to the 8 cans of tomatoes are for 8 #10 cans.  Those are the big cans of Gangi sauce.

Glad to hear you could walk your dog in back of the pizzeria and find the La Fiammante Il Pelati!  Your dumpster diving affects paid off.  ;D Those tomatoes sound very good!

Norma

Hi Norma !.........for some reason I missed this post of yours the other day !!

Now I understand why I choked when I tasted it and had my teeth clogged with oregano
and started coughing black pepper!! ::)

Jeez !!.........I knew something was wrong !

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2219 on: April 16, 2017, 11:16:49 PM »
Hi Norma !.........for some reason I missed this post of yours the other day !!

Now I understand why I choked when I tasted it and had my teeth clogged with oregano
and started coughing black pepper!! ::)

Jeez !!.........I knew something was wrong !

Zeppi,

Lol  :-D

Norma