A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Neapolitan Style / Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Last post by Ogwoodfire on Today at 11:06:47 PM »
This ones pretty good. The perforations on the ď3D peelĒ are nice. Itís a bit hard to explain without having the peel up close to see but itís my favorite peel. That being said Iím not a fan of their turning peel, itís heavy and just feels weird.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: 17 hour pork shoulder
« Last post by slagathor on Today at 11:00:57 PM »
That's some fine looking pork shoulder! Any chance you'd share your recipe for that there NC style sauce? :drool:
Pizza News / Re: A cool Pizza shirt
« Last post by mudman on Today at 10:57:42 PM »
I like it!
New York Style / Re: rparker's NY Style Mis-adventures
« Last post by rparker on Today at 10:32:05 PM »
I had a suspect bag of At early this Summer. Made 4-5 batches with it before kicking it aside for a replacement bag. It hydrated strangely and the gluten broke apart sooner and at temps AT doesn't break apart. I kept it to test my regimen when things are imperfect. I've got another 4 batches under my belt now, with some interesting salvage efforts.

These batches come out looking like abused under-mixed batches. Doesn't quite add up. The fail-safes in place did me well this time around. In the very least, the dough has been workable and edible. No great crumb collapses, soggy pies or anything that bad. Just a reduced crumb texture. I've paid for worse way too much in the past.

One really interesting thing, though. The nature of yeast/dough can be intriguing. so, If I mix my normal batch, I get a nice dense crumb same day, similar next day with better flavor and a decreasing density days 2 through 5. the crumb gets a little airy, but flavor is better. Not a bad trade off.

Now with the suspect strange dough, I have not tried a same day. I have tried 3 next-day efforts followed by a 2-day bake and two 3-day bakes. The 3 next day bakes may not have bee very airy, but they did lack a nice heft to the crumb. Kind of a lightweight thing. Not quite American and/or Chainerria. Just weak examples of what they should have been. In each case, the 2 and 3 day CF bake actually had better texture. Nice crumb heft, decent, but not too thick density. Nice chew and flavor. Not tough.

So, My normal mix, strongly done, leads to conditioned and slight degrading over a few days. My torn up, gluten in shambles suspect flour batches leads to improved texture over a few days time. Bio-chemical and/or Bi-Mechanical dough development at it's finest. So the dough and yeast just knows when more "development" is needed and builds up the gluten over a few day and then decides that it now good enough to start destroying the starches? And for my normal ix, it decides that the structure is developed enough, so lets break it down for starches. 

Is this really how it works? I there really a nature's equal to a decision making factor in play here? I can see it from the yeast POV. Not enough starch, so the yeast call a crumb meeting and decide to become gluten farmers to cultivate and develop enough of it to make starches more readily available.

Interesting stuff. I this for real, or some strange coinkidinks?

Roy - The Curious   
American Style / Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Last post by Pete-zza on Today at 09:16:20 PM »
Because the PJ clone doughs do not have a high hydration value, I have never seen the need to use parchment paper for those doughs. Also, I used pizza screens. But for those cases where I used high hydration doughs, I found the use of parchment paper to be a good idea. I would say that my practice with parchment paper was similar to what Steve described. But I once tackled the parchment paper method in its various aspects in a single post, at:

Reply 13 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11844.msg110675#msg110675.

It didnít bother me personally that some semolina might have ended up under the pizza. I liked the flavor and crunch imparted by the semolina. Remember, also, that the Dustinator blend that PJ uses contains some semolina.

Peter
« Last post by vtsteve on Today at 08:58:21 PM »
I'm working through a 1000-count box of the cheap (non-silicone) pan liners, and dust with semolina for lean doughs; silicone-treated parchment releases more reliably and probably doesn't need the help.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by CaptBob on Today at 08:34:00 PM »
This pizza was from Massimiliano's dough.  The dough traveled for about 7 hours without refrigeration.  The dough was then put into the home fridge for a day and a half.  Dough was still strong.  The second dough was made into a flatbread.  The flatbread will be cut more for sandwich's later.  The taste of the crust is really good. Tastes like a sourdough crust without the sour flavor.

Norma

That looks amazing Norma! Some day I'll try something similar. Is something like this sometimes par baked....then topped....then complete the bake? Or, does the crust bake through when topped from the get go? How long was the bake?
« Last post by nick57 on Today at 08:33:46 PM »
  I have in the past dressed my skins directly on a wooden peel. Never had too many launch problems. These days I always use parchment paper on the peel and dress my pies on it. I figure I went to all the trouble to make a pie, I really don't want to be on the thread of shame more than I have to. When first placing the skin on parchment paper it does have a tendency to stick a little. I slide the pie on top of the parchment paper on to the stone. After between two and three minutes I remove the parchment paper from under the pie in a quick pulling motion, like the magic trick of tableware staying put when yanking the tablecloth. No mater the hydration of the skin and after several hundred pies and years I have yet to experience the paper wanting to stick to the skin. I have even let the skin sit on the parchment paper for up to a half hour before baking with no problems. Maybe you are trying to pull the parchment before the skin has had time to set up. I have seen instructions that you should oil the parchment paper before placing the skin on it. Makes no sense to me. I like the idea of parchment paper, no burnt flour or semolina to clean up after the bake, and I can't tell much difference if I started the bake sans the parchment paper.
Sicilian Style / Re: Pizzarium
« Last post by chrisf on Today at 08:24:41 PM »
chrisf,

Thanks for describing how the crust was at Bonci in Chicago.  Wow, about comparing that pizza to what your dad used to make 20 years ago.  ;D Your dad's pizza sounds very interesting and the eggshell crunch to the bottom crust sounds spot on.  If you dad used an unbleached all purpose flour with a poolish he made the night before it sounds like members should be able to produce this style of pizza with some practice.  Do you know what hydration your father used for the unbleached all purpose flour and what kind of pan he used?  Temperature would be helpful too in the oven temperature.

Love your photo from Bonci in Chicago.

Norma
Norma,
I didn't pay much attention to what he was doing back then other than to eat a ton. I did find a piece of paper with different batch sizes he would make and it looks like he was right in the 65% hydration range. He added a bit of olive oil too. He used a dry yeast and I believe he got the recipe for the dough from Julia Childs when she did a show on making a poolish.
As far as the pans go...I still have them. They were my grandmother's on my mom's side. They are black steel, not very thick yet not so thin as to be flimsy. Oven temp...it's a commercial Vulcan that only goes to 500f. I seem to recall he ran it in the 450f range and it would take 20-25 minutes for a pizza to be cooked. He was cooking more than one at a time and adjusted the temperature so the top didn't burn by the time the dough was cooked.

I looked at Johnny the Gent's photos of his pan pizza and his looks like my dad's did. Light, airy, with the sheen in the crumb.
chris
Pizza News / Re: USA Caputo Cup 2017 - Pizza & Pasta Northeast†
« Last post by nick57 on Today at 08:03:44 PM »
Great pics Norma. Liked the pics with Tony and Joe. Looks like so much fun!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

A D V E R T I S E M E N T