A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 641069 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #9020 on: April 15, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
StateofMind,

Very nice job, all the way around.

Peter

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9021 on: April 15, 2017, 09:39:44 PM »
StateofMind,

Very nice job, all the way around.

Peter

^^^  Really nice job!!
Bob

Offline waynesize

« Reply #9022 on: April 15, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
A couple pictures from today. I cooked 15 pies on the Blackstone today for my sons birthday party.

Well, that was much better than the four pies that I made for my daughter's birthday today. Great looking stuff!  I made four in the home oven, and none were picture worthy. That, and I was busy getting everything done.  :)

Offline StateofMind

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9023 on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the kind word guys. This was the first time that I was genuinely happy with my pies coming out of the Blackstone. We are thinking about picking up a few more and starting to do some catering gigs.

Online kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9024 on: April 16, 2017, 02:58:38 AM »
About the pepperoni. It is Delallo and sliced on a Hobart 410.
I don't know the exact measurements, but the slicer is on it's thinnest setting possible, otherwise the pepperoni will not cup/fold.

Delallo pepperoni is very lean, meaty, CRISPY, and flavorful. It's also cheap.

The original creator of the Honey/Butter/Malt powder formula was Fodowsky, so I modified it a little.
As for trying the formula with 00 flour. If you cook at true Neapolitan temps, your pizza will burn. The Malt and honey will increase browning.

The cheese is nothing crazy, Galabani whole milk mozzarella and Stella 2 month old Asiago. 16oz of mozzarella mixed with 8oz of Asiago.
I shredded the cheese with coarse potato grater, it seems to give an interesting melt.

Norma told me about when I tried making NJ style, however it performs well for everything so I never used anything else to shred cheese.

Norpro 355
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000VLV6Q/?tag=pmak-20

It's a home oven, California pizza stone 16"x16"x1", baked on 2nd lowest rack.

Thanks for such an in depth explanation. Definitely out of my range right now, not to mention that I have only two ways to bake pizzas right now, either I bake outside at 800 to 1000 degree temps or in the kitchen in our oven that barely reaches 188 centigrade. (Does less than 370 Fahrenheit) but from what you tell me I would have better luck in the kitchen oven.

I may get myself one of those baking steels that seem to be all the rage with people with regular home ovens like me, especially one that simply doesn't get too hot.

I cant tweak it either, since the wife is a professional pastry chef and she uses it constantly for wedding cakes and things like that and you cant really mess with a bakers oven she would probably kick my ass because she is used to the oven after so many years and her cakes and deserts come out perfect the way it is.

I still want to get that dough recipe going so the home oven is the only option.

Thanks!

Offline rrpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9025 on: April 19, 2017, 07:01:26 PM »
My lastest pies from the PP bollore and a quick video of my bake.

[ Anonymized URL Blocked ]

Cheers
Russ
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 07:57:41 PM by rrpizza »

Online kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9026 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:09 AM »
My lastest pies from the PP bollore and a quick video of my bake.

[ Anonymized URL Blocked ]

Cheers
Russ

Beautiful! I'd love to see your video but it seems it was blocked :(

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9027 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »
Two 16 inch pies from last night - my normal dough - frozen for about a month and then CF for 5 days. The crust had great flavor - both were cooked at 580 on stone with convection on.

First up is a pie inspired by user doughball1 - his Pierogie Pie. Made a Vegan version for my wife. Dough brushed with a Vegan garlic butter sauce, topped with Vegan cheesy potato puffs that were precooked in our hot air fryer. Then it got about 3 oz of Vegan Mozzarella from Vtopia cheese shop in Portland, and about 4 oz of Vegan cheddar cheese (also from Vtopia). Then finally it was topped with caramelized onions. It came out pretty cool - thanks, doughball1.

Mine was a cheese and pepperoni made with Dietz & Watson, Pepperoni and Grande WMM.  Thanks for looking  :)
Norm

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9028 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »
Outstanding Norm! Consistently awesome!
Bob

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9029 on: April 21, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
I'll say!  ^^^

Offline Jackitup

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9030 on: April 21, 2017, 10:24:57 AM »
Nice......How do you like that hot air fryer compared to regilar deep frying?
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9031 on: April 21, 2017, 10:44:58 AM »
Two 16 inch pies from last night - my normal dough - frozen for about a month and then CF for 5 days. The crust had great flavor - both were cooked at 580 on stone with convection on.

First up is a pie inspired by user doughball1 - his Pierogie Pie. Made a Vegan version for my wife. Dough brushed with a Vegan garlic butter sauce, topped with Vegan cheesy potato puffs that were precooked in our hot air fryer. Then it got about 3 oz of Vegan Mozzarella from Vtopia cheese shop in Portland, and about 4 oz of Vegan cheddar cheese (also from Vtopia). Then finally it was topped with caramelized onions. It came out pretty cool - thanks, doughball1.

Mine was a cheese and pepperoni made with Dietz & Watson, Pepperoni and Grande WMM.  Thanks for looking  :)

Norm,

Beautiful looking pies! :chef:

Norma

Online alasavio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9032 on: April 21, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
Just got my Pizza Party Passione and this is pizza number 7 from my first pizza making experience.

So much fun making pizza in this oven! My four year old son helped pick an place the toppings for this pie :-)

Sorry for the poor quality pic, just my cell phone in poor light :-)

Andrew

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9033 on: April 21, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »
Thanks everyone  :)

Jackitup - we really like our air fryer - we use it just about everyday. I picked one up at Costco a few years ago - an off brand - we did not like it and returned it - got a bigger one at xmas and a name brand. It works a million times better. My wife makes all kinds of stuff in it. See below...
Norm

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #9034 on: April 21, 2017, 10:20:09 PM »
Outstanding Norm! Consistently awesome!

^^^
Hans

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #9035 on: April 22, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »
NY style with dollops of ricotta and torn basil. I switched up my steel and stone configuration in the oven with favorable results. Better browning, seemingly hotter.
"If it works, it's obsolete" -- Marshall McLuhan
"First you get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure" -- Mark Twain
"Wretched excess is just barely enough" --Shirley O. Corriher

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #9036 on: April 22, 2017, 08:56:02 AM »
I've pretty much always baked with my steel closer to the broiler, but have given up trying the method because I was never able to game my broiler to turn on and stay on when I wanted. After abandoning the method, I just kept the placement. When I Incorporated the kids into pizza making, I added the stone on the bottom rack to bake 2, 12" pizzas on the stone first, then a 16" pizza on the steel. I kept noticing the pies baked on the bottom stone had better crust browning, especially the first one. I figured it was because they were the first in the oven, and multiple door openings just sapped the heat for the following bakes.

The other week we hosted the in-laws, so in addition to the 2*12" & 16" pies, I added a couple Detroiters to feed the crowd. I cheated the bottom stone all the way to the left side oven wall to accommodate the Detroit pans. The first 12" on the stone baked fast and had maybe the best browning I've seen from this oven. I got the usual results from the top steel, but it got me reconsidering my baking surface placement in the oven. I thought the top browning was being improved from radiating heat. So I figured on putting the stone on top and the steel on bottom. I've got a 1/3"*16"*18" steel and a 14"*16" old stone oven stone, preheated for ~1.5 hrs at 525°F. My IR gun 9v battery was long dead, but I definitely found a faster bake with better top browning for my 16" pie on the bottom rack steel. Same recipe and work flow previously described, first two 12" pies baked sequentially on the stone, then the 16" on the steel. 6 min bake, rotating with ~2.5m to go. I could even reduce the bake time 30s-1m.

Pictures are:
1. My default placement of steel on top, stone on bottom.
2. Steel on top, stone on bottom. Stone rotated 90° and moved all the way to left side oven wall. Rack space freed up for Detroiters.
3. Stone on top, steel on bottom. Will continue trying this configuration and experiment with baking duration.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:07:01 AM by R2-Bayou »
"If it works, it's obsolete" -- Marshall McLuhan
"First you get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure" -- Mark Twain
"Wretched excess is just barely enough" --Shirley O. Corriher

Online alasavio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9037 on: April 23, 2017, 07:27:53 AM »
I baked this one up on my Pizza Party Passione. Sauteed mushrooms and onions with white sauce, Mozzarella, Parmesan and Grana Padano cheeses. It slid a little when I placed it in the oven, but not too badly.

My technique needs a LOT of work. I dumped the first pie of the night into a giant pile... I tried making it on the peel and it didn't release. This one came out ok though.

This forum is awesome and has given me a great starting point as I explore pizza making. All the beautiful pies in this thread give me something to aim for :-)

Andrew

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #9038 on: April 23, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
Really nice pie, nice photo and nice work alasavio - looks super yummy  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Norm

Offline waynesize

« Reply #9039 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »
Andrew, that mushroom pie looks fantastic!

Here are a couple I made last night. My dough was getting ready too fast. My basement temp had risen to 68f. I used cooler water and less yeast, but they still got busy too fast. Tossed them in the fridge to slow them down.  Worked out fine.