A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: how to store Caputo 00 flour  (Read 2355 times)

Offline TR-6

• I Love Pizza!
how to store Caputo 00 flour
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:38:03 PM »
Hello guys I just bought a 20 lb. repack of Caputo 00 flour and was wondering how to store it. I was thinking of freezing some of it in sealed plastic bags maybe ? how long can I store it. is that a good idea ? I appreciate any advice or ideas from you guys.
Thanks, George

Offline Donjo911

Re: how to store Caputo 00 flour
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
TR-6,
Good thing to ask about.  If you do a advanced search in the Prep Equipment board - you'll find there have been many (including me) who asked about this.  There are two ways to go about it (oversimplifying)  1) Long term storage - sure. Ziplock bags, perhaps with a Silica pack, in the freezer works great.  You'll see some folks say they keep it more than 6 months just as you've suggested. 2)  There are bucket lids that have dual gaskets made by Gamma Lids. They fit 2 Gallon and 5 Gallon buckets. They work great - I have 7 of them. I can confirm that 20 pounds of flour (in my experience) will fit with a little encouragement into two of the 2 gallon buckets. Again, if you are concerned about humidity getting to it - you may consider a mylar bag as a liner and a couple silica paks for "insurance."  They sell them at Home Depot and Sam's Clubs in the larger 5 gallon variety. You may be able to locate the smaller ones on line or nearby in FL by calling the company directly. Here's a website that has them: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24282

Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:32:58 PM »
I've kept it in the freezer for more than a year with no problems at all. You don't need to do anything special. Any plastic bag will work fine.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
    • Eating With David
how to store Caputo 00 flour
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:28:27 AM »
White flour will keep for a year at least, in the pantry. If you live in a humid area, best to keep it in an airtight container as suggested. If you live in a hot house, probably best to keep it in the fridge or freezer.

Whole wheat flour is another animal entirely. But you don't really get anymore "white"/refined than 00.

I buy my flour in the smaller packages with a best by date stamped on it. When you buy it repackaged, do you have any idea of what that date was before they broke it open and repackaged it? 

I bought the 2.2 lb bags because of the convenience of the size and the price for 10 of them seemed pretty good. I also like having the best by date for the assurance that I wasn't getting old flour.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 06:55:09 AM by David Esq. »

Offline TR-6

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
I have not been able to find the Caputo 00 blue in small packages I think they only comes in 55 lb bags and then they repack and sell in smaller amounts. I have only seen the red Caputo 00 in smaller packages but I have never tried it, can anyone tell me the difference between the red and blue for making pizza. I am  making Neapolitan pizza with it ? and thanks again for your responces...

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
There is more than one "red" Caputo. The 1kg red bag is "Chef's Flour." There are some differences as compared to Caputo Pizzeria (a.k.a. "blue"), but it will work fine for pizza if that is all you can get - particularly if you ferment for 24+ hours.

This post from the importer will give you a sense of the difference: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27399.msg288276.html#msg288276

You can find the specs here: http://caputoflour.com/product/
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Nyanks78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
I know this is a old post, hopefully someone can answer my question. I wanna buy a 50lb bag of Caputo 00 flour. My question is, I want to freeze some of the flour. Does anyone know if it's better to do in bulk or if it's better in smaller containers? Another question is once it is frozen and you unfreeze it, how long do you have to use the flour? I assume you shouldn't put it back in the freezer. Can you just leave it in the refrigerator? Any info is appreciated..

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 05:45:56 PM »
I know this is a old post, hopefully someone can answer my question. I wanna buy a 50lb bag of Caputo 00 flour. My question is, I want to freeze some of the flour. Does anyone know if it's better to do in bulk or if it's better in smaller containers?

Unless you are planning on using large weights of dough at one time, I would reccomend 5 or 10 lb increments.  That is what I do for home use. I've found that a one gallon zip lock will hold about 5 lbs.  Larger sizes, more weight.  Zip lock bags work fine and are easier to stack/store in the freezer than solid containers.

Another question is once it is frozen and you unfreeze it, how long do you have to use the flour?

If stored in 5 lb increments, just take it out of the freezer 24 hours or so before you want to use it.  Then, just treat it like any 5 lb bag of dough you bought at the grocery store.

I assume you shouldn't put it back in the freezer. Can you just leave it in the refrigerator? Any info is appreciated..

I've never considered refreezing a 5 lb quantity, nor have I ever stored it in the refrigerator. I  just keep it under the counter like anything I bought at the grocery store.  I think this may be one of those things that one can avoid overthinking. 

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:47:50 PM by parallei »

Offline Nyanks78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:54:34 PM »
Ok Great.. Thanks for the info

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:36 PM »
There are two ways to store flour, at room temperature which is fine for short term storage BUT if there are any insect eggs in the flour they will hatch and soon lead to an infestation in your flour (commonly referred to as "wormy flour" due to the larvae of the flour beetles and/or cigarette beetles). The other method is to freeze it. Freezing the flour will destroy any insect eggs that might be present after 30-days of below freezing storage, so assuming a week to get a bucket of flour down to below freezing, allow 45-days in the freezer and then store at room temperature if you wish or continue to hold it in the freezer...your call. I use nothing more than large Zip-Lock bags to store my flour in because I find it easier to store many smaller bags than one large on in my freezer and all I need to do is to remove a bag or two when I'm ready to bake and allow it to warm up at room temperature overnight. We have effectively stored flour for up to 10-years in the freezer without adverse effects.
I might also add that flour DOES OXIDIZE when stored at room temperature. What this means is that after about 60-days storage at room temperature you might begin to see your doughs exhibiting more strength, generally seen as dough memory or snap-back. This does not happen when the flour is stored in the freezer.
A couple of years ago I inherited a full bag of flour (50#) so knowing that I was not going to use it anytime soon as I already had a lot of flour on hand in the freezer, I just placed the 50# bag of flour into a trash bag and taped it up tight and placed it in our chest freezer. As time went on I forgot about it until we were cleaning out the freezer, yep, two years later I found it! I remover the bag from the freezer and allowed it to temper to room temperature for a full week, I then broke the flour down into my large (gallon size) Zip-Lock bags and placed it back into the freezer. The flour performed just fine. NOTE: Always allow the flour to return to room temperature before using and if you are planning to break down a large bag in the freezer, as I did, allow it to temper back to room temperature for a full week before opening the bag. The reason for this is because there is a high probability that condensation will form on the flour when the frozen/cold flour is exposed to the room air and moisture is the enemy of long term frozen flour storage. When the flour is warm there is little chance of condensation forming on the flour. Yes, it does take pretty close to a full week for a 50# bag of flour to fully reach freezer temperature and also to warm up to room temperature again when removed from the freezer. My gallon size bags warm up in a couple of hours...size DOES make a difference.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Nyanks78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »
Great info..I just ordered some freezer bags on Amazon . Thanks a lot...

Offline Nyanks78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:09:07 PM »
Another question... Do the gallon ziploc bags have to be freezer ziploc bags or can they be regular?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
By the way....I might mention that I ALWAYS tape my Zip-Lock bags closed as added insurance that they won't mysteriously come open in the freezer.....just trust me on that one! :)

Offline Nyanks78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
By the way....I might mention that I ALWAYS tape my Zip-Lock bags closed as added insurance that they won't mysteriously come open in the freezer.....just trust me on that one! :)
Good tip... Do you use freezer ziploc or regular ziploc?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
I just use regular Zip-Lock bags, I inherited hundreds of them from a project when I was at AIB so I'm still working off of my "stash".

Offline Nyanks78

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:47 PM »
Thank you

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 06:30:09 PM »
.......BUT if there are any insect eggs in the flour they will hatch and soon lead to an infestation in your flour (commonly referred to as "wormy flour" due to the larvae of the flour beetles and/or cigarette beetles)..........

In the Army, we referred to that as Raisin Bread......depends how hungry one is!

wordpress