A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How I am storing the big 6 lb cans of sauce :)  (Read 1444 times)

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
How I am storing the big 6 lb cans of sauce :)
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:45:50 PM »
So I ran out of my sauce a few months ago and it was too hot to make pizza anyhow so I just made do with other stuff. Today I called my local wholesale supplier to see if they had any damaged cases of the Pizzaiola 6lb cans... sadly they did not. So I just bought a whole case. 6 cans to a case and it was only $30 for them all so not bad, $5 a can.

Well last time I simple scooped the extra sauce into baggies to freeze and I was forced into making 2 large pizzas every time or I was basically wasting the sauce... I'm not sure how many times you should re-freeze sauce. At any rate today I had a much better idea :)

Since one 16" pizza for me only uses about 2 of my ladels I found that 1 ladel is basically 1 cupcake lol. I wanted a cleaner neater way of freezing the sauce where I could use only what I wanted so I froze it in a cupcake pan and then placed in freezer baggies now I can use as little as 1 ladel if needed. Basically if I want to make 1 pizza I just pull two cupcake sauces out and I'm good.

I thought it was a cool idea anyhow :) this is the 2nd batch I did, the first batch was completely full. So basically a full can will yield me 23 sauce cupcakes as I used 2 ladels for my pizza today. Once this sauce gets used I will crack open another can and repeat.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: How I am storing the big 6 lb cans of sauce :)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 10:39:19 PM »
Iceman;
Great idea! I might offer one suggestion though, instead of placing the frozen sauce cupcakes directly into a Zip-Lock bag I would suggest wrapping each one individually in either stretch wrap or use individual food bags. If using stretch wrap pull the wrap tight to the cup cake, and if using food bags be sure to pull the bag snugly to the cup cake to create as little head space in the bag as possible. Within two weeks you will begin to see the effects of freezer burn as moisture is removed from the sauce and deposited on the inside of the Zip-Lock bag. By minimizing any head space around each cup cake you will minimize or nearly eliminate any damage due to freezer burn.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »
Thanks for the tip Tom. I will wrap them in shrink wrap tomorrow. I want to give them a chance to get good and solid tonight plus I'm about to head to bed soon. The first batch I had let sit in the freezer for 5 hours solid and they were rock hard and very hard to get out, but they got easier after they sat out for a few minutes.

The 2nd batch after 2 hrs I tried and while they were not a brick they were still solid enough to mainly hold shape when I removed them w/a butter knife but they had some give. Next time I will try 3 hrs and see if that is the happy medium lol.

Just FYI I did not leave the sauce out while I was waiting for the first batch to freeze. I tossed the sauce in a bowl and stuck in the fridge until I was ready for it. I did not think sticking the can in the fridge would be a good idea even if it was only going to be a few hrs.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 11:15:13 AM »
This is a great idea..I have one of those big cans and it feels like it will last possibly longer than I will...Will fill some muffin tins and go for it   Thanks!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
JPB, did you give this a try? I'm opening my first big can tomorrow and will have alot to freeze.
Matt

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
I have to admit I haven;'t yet, Matt...and the big can of sauce stares at me every time I go downstairs...

I need to clear some freezer space first..I did purge some ancient pizza slices and that helped,  but then baked more bread...and that didn't.  It sounds like the way to go, though.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »
I need to clear some freezer space first..I did purge some ancient pizza slices and that helped,  but then baked more bread...and that didn't. 

:-D

Thanks anyway!
Matt

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 12:50:13 AM »
If you rip half the end flap off, the box makes a pretty good dispenser:
In grams we trust.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 12:39:18 AM »
So anybody else try this? I just opened a new can today and I did as Tom Suggested and individually wrapped each one after removing from pan. I personally do not taste a difference but I have yet to compare a frozen sauce the same day with a fresh sauce. Maybe I will do that when this batch of sauce gets low. I will wait till I have 2 sauces left and then make a frozen sauce and a fresh sauce and compare taste.

This is a pretty thick sauce as is and I let it thaw in fridge overnight and then place on my stove while I am pre-heating to warm the sauce up and I'm sure some moisture evaporates as well. I stir it occasionally. I do whatever I can to limit moisture on my dough lol.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »
Not exactly, but similar. I've been freezing my tomato in individual portions in separate sandwich size ziplocks. (I just pour the tomato directly in.) I try to close each ziplock in a way to not have any air in it. I then put all the little ziplocks into one big one, the next day once frozen. Not sure if that last step is necessry.

I haven't done a side by side taste test either. I really don't want to as I don't have much of a choice but to freeze it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:26:38 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 08:13:57 AM »
Not exactly, but similar. I've been freezing my tomato in individual portions in separate sandwich size ziplocks.

I did that originally but did not like wasting the sauce that stuck inside the baggies after they thaw out... I know it is small amounts but still, plus freezer bags are quite pricey as compared to saran wrap lol.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:32:42 AM by icemanxp300 »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Hans

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

I did that originally but did not like wasting the sauce that stuck inside the baggies after they thaw out... I know it is small amounts but still, plus freezer bags are quite pricey as compared to saran wrap lol.

Here's how I store sauce anyway. I've found that 2/3 a cup of sauce is perfect for my 14" pies, so I measure that out into individual sandwich bags, gather sauce towards the bottom half of the bag, suck the air out and store them flat for efficient storage inside of a larger zip lock in which they're stored side by side like disks in the freezer. As for wasting any sauce that remains stuck in the sandwich bag; you don't have to worry about that if you cut the bottom corner off the bag and easily squeeze every bit of sauce out like a frosting bag. Once it thaws I grab the bag by the corner so the sauce pools at the other end, cut the corner off and squeeze sauce out into a rounded bottomed cup, stir and it's good and each bag has exactly the sauce I need for a single pie. As for the bags being pricey; I get 50 of those 6.5" sandwich bags for $1 from DT (Dollar Tree). They're not "freezer" bags per se, but they're not like those really thin baggies that have a flap rather than a seal either. They're actually quite thick and hold up in the freezer with sauce just fine, plus with the additional layer of the larger ziplock that I keep the lot in they hold up in the freezer very well. Since you get 50 of them, if you were that concerned about it you could always double up on the bags and still come out on top.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 07:07:18 AM »
These are really great ideas...thanks!

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
I put my sauce in zip-lock bags (removing as much air as possible) as well.
Then I vacuum seal four in a bag.
That way I only have four exposed to freezer air at any time.
Cuts way down on crystals forming.

Offline icemanxp300

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 10:14:29 PM »
So an update on that sauce I opened 2 weeks ago. I did what Tom had suggested and wrapped each cupcake of sauce individually w/plastic wrap and I used 4 today (been frozen 15 days now) for pizza subs and they looked as if they did not have any ice crystals at all!

That is def. the way to go. Thanks Tom for the great suggestion, it works like a charm. I simply wrapped them snug and set them in the freezer (wrapping side down to hold it together) overnight then tossed them all in a plastic grocery bag.

Offline csnack

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »
So an update on that sauce I opened 2 weeks ago. I did what Tom had suggested and wrapped each cupcake of sauce individually w/plastic wrap and I used 4 today (been frozen 15 days now) for pizza subs and they looked as if they did not have any ice crystals at all!

That is def. the way to go. Thanks Tom for the great suggestion, it works like a charm. I simply wrapped them snug and set them in the freezer (wrapping side down to hold it together) overnight then tossed them all in a plastic grocery bag.
I bet you can keep them in the freezer much longer if you put the wrapped sauces in a large heavy duty zipper bag like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016PNQ5FY/?tag=pmak-20

wordpress