A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: good flour for 550 degree oven/pizza steel for crunchy crust  (Read 1099 times)

Offline dmger14

• I Love Pizza!
good flour for 550 degree oven/pizza steel for crunchy crust
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
I posted in the ask the Dough Doctor forum but thought I'd put it here.  I planned on doing Tyler Florence's dough and was going to make calzones and pizza with it.  I like  crunchy outside crust and chewy inside.  It calls for 00 flour but I was told I'd be as well or better off using something else unless my oven can do 800 degrees or higher, which it can't (though I do have a freshly seasoned pizza steel).  What would you suggest, something that is available at stores like Wegman's, Giant, Safeway, etc.?  Thanks

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
Re: good flour for 550 degree oven/pizza steel for crunchy crust
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
I posted in the ask the Dough Doctor forum but thought I'd put it here.  I planned on doing Tyler Florence's dough and was going to make calzones and pizza with it.  I like  crunchy outside crust and chewy inside.  It calls for 00 flour but I was told I'd be as well or better off using something else unless my oven can do 800 degrees or higher, which it can't (though I do have a freshly seasoned pizza steel).  What would you suggest, something that is available at stores like Wegman's, Giant, Safeway, etc.?  Thanks

You should be able to get King Arthur Bread Flour.  I know they carry it at all the walmarts in my area.  I bake between 500-600F and it works fine.  The outside crunch is going to depend a lot on your dough formulation as well as bake time/temperature.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »
As Jonas already pointed out in your other post, KABF, GM's Better for Bread and Pillsbury's Best Bread Flour are all good choices.

For a crunchy outside crust and creamy inside try 65% hydration and 2% oil. The higher the hydration, the crunchier the crust generally.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline positanopepe

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
I just did a 65% pizza with caputo 00 (red bag).  I am baking on a steel plate.  I didn't add oil, just sugar.  It gets crispy (8 min bake) and just lacks browning in the crust.  I will try all trumps flour in the next few days for the first time and see how that compares

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:48:41 AM »
I think you want a slightly faster bake, all trumps is pretty good but I really like the Mondako flour from graincraft.

wordpress