A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Vegetable Oil vs. Olive Oil  (Read 2353 times)

Online quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Vegetable Oil vs. Olive Oil
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
I've learned a lot about olive oil on this website:
http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/

in particular, I've found their buying guide useful:
http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/great-oil/how-to-buy-great-olive-oil/

Over the last three months, we've tried:
trader joes kalamata olive oil - http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/2013/08/trader-joes-extravirgins-and-floozies
Bariani Fall Harvest California Extra Virgin Olive
california olive ranch
stew leonards (small chain, of local, upscale grocery stores)

we like bariani the most followed closely  by tj's and california olive ranch.

ryan, berio doesn't seem like the most transparent company:
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/open-lawsuit-settlements/499494-filippo-berio-olive-oil-class-action-settlement/

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:34:54 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 11:44:17 AM »
I like a nice light organic olive oil in my uncooked sauce, but for my dough any old oil will do  :P

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 03:28:36 PM »
FWIW, I've always had a 'thing' against the taste of canola and veg oil. I could never put my finger on it, a je ne sais quoi...

A couple years ago I toured the Herr's Potato Chip factory and they discussed the oils they used. They talked about their blend of corn/cottonseed oils because canola and veg oils have a 'fishiness' to them. Yes! That's what it is (to me). Now I taste it everywhere, mayo, cheap vinaigrettes, etc. I have completely switched our house to using extra light olive oil as our main oil. I love Partanna Sicilian EVOO as a finishing oil, and I have a few special use oils, like sesame for Asian recipes, peanut for frying, coconut for shortening (sometimes lard or schmaltz), and grape seed for cosmetics. And of course, all hail butter!
"If it works, it's obsolete" -- Marshall McLuhan
"First you get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure" -- Mark Twain
"Wretched excess is just barely enough" --Shirley O. Corriher

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 10:28:22 PM »
FWIW, I've always had a 'thing' against the taste of canola and veg oil. I could never put my finger on it, a je ne sais quoi...

A couple years ago I toured the Herr's Potato Chip factory and they discussed the oils they used. They talked about their blend of corn/cottonseed oils because canola and veg oils have a 'fishiness' to them. Yes! That's what it is (to me).  . . .

Same here.  I use peanut oil.

Online Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »

A couple years ago I toured the Herr's Potato Chip factory and they discussed the oils they used. They talked about their blend of corn/cottonseed oils because canola and veg oils have a 'fishiness' to them. Yes! That's what it is (to me). Now I taste it everywhere, mayo, cheap vinaigrettes, etc. I have completely switched our house to using extra light olive oil as our main oil. I love Partanna Sicilian EVOO as a finishing oil, and I have a few special use oils, like sesame for Asian recipes, peanut for frying, coconut for shortening (sometimes lard or schmaltz), and grape seed for cosmetics. And of course, all hail butter!

Same exact experience.  I made some hamburger buns using vegetable oil and I thought they smelled fishy literally.  Ruined my sandwich.  I threw them in the trash along with the jug of vegetable oil.

I use kirkland EVOO, and cheap brand peanut/corn oil and enjoy the flavor and aroma of all three.

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
I've been using (Walmart) corn oil in all my baking for about 8 years now.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline stamina888

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 02:45:54 AM »
I've been using (Walmart) corn oil in all my baking for about 8 years now.

That's actually not a bad idea.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
Same exact experience.  I made some hamburger buns using vegetable oil and I thought they smelled fishy literally.  Ruined my sandwich.  I threw them in the trash along with the jug of vegetable oil.

I use kirkland EVOO, and cheap brand peanut/corn oil and enjoy the flavor and aroma of all three.

I use half butter and half vegetable oil in my buns but I have not noticed that smell. 

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2017, 12:38:40 AM »
I remember seeing something about canola oil (especially in cast iron) reacting to give that fishy smell. I think it's pretty specifically a canola thing (most "vegetable" oil is soybean oil, and searching for "soybean oil fishy" mostly returns canola complaints).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:12:58 AM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

wordpress