A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Started a Starter  (Read 698 times)

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Started a Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »
I have been maintaining the feeding schedule for a week (last night).  I had a lot of early activity which was talked about.  Then from day 3 to day 6 very little activity and bubbles.  It was pretty discouraging.
Last night when I got home I saw there was a good amount of activity again.  This morning even more.  I will keep it going for a while before I put it in the fridge.

It seems your starter has followed a typical pattern.  The lull in activity you observed from day 3 to 6 is normal, so there was no need to feel discouraged.  It was merely a transitional phase between different waves of micro organisms.  Now that your starter is established you can proceed with a maintenance routine, consisting of more frequent refreshments. I would recommend a 1:1:1 regimen for now and see how quickly it takes for the starter to ripen.  Based on what you observe after a few feedings, you can make adjustments from there.  There is a saying among the sourdough cognoscenti which advises to "observe the starter, not the clock".  In other words, pay attention to what is going on with the starter itself, rather than following a rigid timetable.

One last point.  You don't need to feed your starter fancy schmancy (read expensive) flours at this stage.  A simple unbleached bread or all-purpose flour is more than sufficient to keep the ball rolling.

Rolls
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 02:20:22 PM by Rolls »

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31:04 PM »
Thank you Rolls that helps!

To break down the 1:1:1 method.  1 part starter, 1 part water, 1 part flour.

Assuming after I discard half and left with 75g starter, would I then add back 25g of starter from the discard then 25g of water and 25g of flour?

Ty

P.S.  Wife sent me a pic just now its been just over 6 hours and is pretty much doubled now.

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 03:09:18 PM »
To break down the 1:1:1 method.  1 part starter, 1 part water, 1 part flour.
Assuming after I discard half and left with 75g starter, would I then add back 25g of starter from the discard then 25g of water and 25g of flour?

No, your new starter IS COMPRISED ONLY of the 1:1:1 (ie. 25g old starter plus 25g flour plus 25g water) for a total weight of 75g.  If you are always using the same jar, you need to know the weight of the jar in order to determine how much residual "old starter" is left when you are discarding.

I manage my starter differently by using 2 jars.  When it's time for a refreshment I remove 25g of "old" starter from Jar A and combine this with 25g flour and 25g water. This new mixture, weighing a TOTAL of 75g, goes into Jar B.  This is your "new" starter.  Jar A is cleaned and washed.

By always transferring your starter into a clean container, it's easier to gauge changes in volume.  Not only this, but a jar with clean sides is less likely to attract undesirable molds that can sometimes develop in a jar that is never cleaned out.

Rolls

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:14:59 PM by Rolls »

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »
Awesome.  Makes perfect sense now!

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
Day 12 - 4 hours after feeding.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2017, 10:11:04 PM »
Looks good. Now go make some bread or pizza! Then decide on a maintenance schedule and you're set!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:21:36 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:34 PM »
Looks good. Now go make some bread or pizza! Then decide on a maintenance schedule and you're set!

^^^    And be sure to post pictures of your first bakes.

Rolls

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
Will do folks.

I am using the Pref Calculator.

I just want to make one dough ball weighing 250g with 6% starter.  I want to make sure I input everything correctly here.

Preferment:
Flour:    4.45 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs
Water:    4.45 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs
Total:    8.9 g | 0.31 oz | 0.02 lbs

Do I simply split the flour and water in half since that is how i made and continue to feed it?

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2017, 04:00:37 PM »

I just want to make one dough ball weighing 250g with 6% starter.  I want to make sure I input everything correctly here.

Preferment:
Flour:    4.45 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs
Water:    4.45 g | 0.16 oz | 0.01 lbs
Total:    8.9 g | 0.31 oz | 0.02 lbs

Do I simply split the flour and water in half since that is how i made and continue to feed it?

If your recipe calls for 8.9 g of starter (preferment) and you maintain your starter at 50% Flour and 50% Water by weight, just use 8.9 grams of your active starter in the recipe.

There are only two things you need to watch out for on the Preferment Pizza Dough Calculator.:

- Make sure you select the correct "How would your preferment expressed?" box.

- Pay attention to the note that tells you how to calculate the preferment's percentage of water.  If you are maintaining your starter at 50%/50% water/flour then the preferment's percentage of water as 50%.  Like this : Say you had 200g of starter at 100g water +100g flour.  The preferment's percentage of water = (100g/200g)*100 = 50%
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:20:50 PM by parallei »

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »
Cool ty!

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
I decided to make a dough ball to test out one of my starters.  The recipe I used is as follows:

Bouncer High Gluten Flour
Water 65%
Starter 6%
Salt 2.5%

I proofed it for 20 hrs at room temp, 20 hrs in fridge, and 12 at room temp.  I had a crazy schedule so I wasnt able to proof how I exactly wanted.
I cooked it at 500 in my oven with a baking steel.

Here's a few pics, i am having issues trying to post more than a few pics.

I welcome the feedback as well.  Thank you.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:03:05 PM by NinoDel »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:41 AM »
Your starter succeeded in leavening the pizza dough, so that's good. How did the crust taste? Too mild? Too sour?

Rolls

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
I was excited that it rose!

The crust definitely had a tangy/sour taste.

Offline NinoDel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: Today at 01:59:51 PM »
I went to make 3 separate dough balls with the 3 starters I have going.  It was about 8 hours after feeding, and all 3 were floating.  When I added the starter to the water in the recipe I was using, it wouldn't dissolve?

I only did this recipe once but did not have an issue dissolving the starter in water before I mixed it in with the flour for the recipe.

UPDATE - I tried again 4 hours after feeding with all 3 starters.  I used water that was between 75 and 80 degrees.  It worked better.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:46:24 PM by NinoDel »

wordpress