A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tried caputo americana for the first time today, wow!  (Read 865 times)

Offline kuhne

• I Love Pizza!
Tried caputo americana for the first time today, wow!
« on: May 13, 2017, 09:21:27 PM »
I've only been making pizzas in two ways. Either I use a kettle pizza pro or I use the kitchen oven with a preheated cordierite stone and always used Caputo 00 pizzeria flour. Naturally when I tried baking on the cordierite in the kitchen oven, even if I left it heat up for over an hour and placed it very close to the broiler, the result was underwhelming, simply very pale. It did rise but it wasn't a great looking pizza.
A few days ago I bought a bag of caputo americana and made the same recipe I make with the 00 pizzeria, which is 65% hydration, about 9 hours room temp ferment and 3 to 5 in the fridge. Today was the day I took it out of the fridge and coincidentally it was the day my 1/2 inch pizza steel arrived.

I took a ball out of the fridge and let it rest at room temp for about 4 hours, it was a 275 ball and even with the 65% hydro it handled great. I stretched it to a small size and made a very basic cheese pizza for my daughter's dinner. I preheated the steel for over an hour and the surface temp got close to 600 Fahrenheit. I was in a bit of a hurry so I made a bit of a mess with the pizza sticking to the peel so it hurt the overall look of the pizza but I put it in there and waited. It was my first time with americana and with a pizza steel.

4 to 5 minutes later I got this pizza. In fact, I think I left it about 6 minutes when it was already browning and probably ready at 4 because it probably charred a bit too much. I felt like my kitchen oven had acquired super powers with the combination of both the caputo americana and the pizza steel.

As for the taste, somehow she accepted to give me a slice to try it out, it was very good, it seems using the same recipe I use for the 00 is not a bad idea, it had chew, it had nice taste, etc. It did taste more of what you expect a "day to day" pizza to taste though, a very good one to be precise but still doesn't seem to match the taste of a good fermented 00 pizzeria dough, although this might change with a different recipe or practice. The wife also agreed, she said it was delicious and that it tasted like she was in a NY style pizzeria but that she liked it when I made the other dough on my grill outside.

I  am in love though, with both the flour and the pizza steel, now I can make another type of pizza in the house. I took the remaining balls from the fridge and put them on the freezer for future use, will comment when I make another!

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
Re: Tried caputo americana for the first time today, wow!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 12:51:39 AM »
That is a beautiful photo :)

Was your mix time as long as the recipe on Caputo's site (11 min)?
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream