A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Why do I have to cook so long?  (Read 704 times)

Offline dimeadip

• I Love Pizza!
Why do I have to cook so long?
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:08:06 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm brand new to the forum.  I tried my first Chicago style today - VCB's Real Deep dish.  I followed the receipe and technique as close to his directions as possible, except I made it 14" using his adjustment (that's the size pan I had).  The pizza came out surprisingly good!  It even came out of the pan in one untorn piece!  In his directions, he instructed to cook at 450 for 35 minutes.  I cooked mine a total of 47 minutes before I decided that enough was enough.  The texture was good, suggesting I had cooked it to the right level of doneness.  But why would I have to cook it so long?  As far as I know, my oven is pretty accurate - at least on all the other stuff I cook.  I cooked it on a preheated pizza stone and wrapped the top rack in foil, just like suggested.

Only adjustments I'd make next time, based on my wife's suggestions, is double the cheese (I used a single pack of Sargento's mozzeralla) and add some garlic salt to the crushed tomatoes.  The only other thing I noticed on texture was mine seemed a little "wet".  Not overly so, but wetter than I'm used to in nice pizza restaurants.  (I had added pre-cooked Italian sausage - can't bring myself to add uncooked sausage to a dish, pepperoni, and topped with onion and chopped red pepper.)  I drained the crushed tomatoes, but no blatant water came out.

Anyway, any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I enjoyed making this pizza and will definitely try it again!

Offline Hermit

• Supporting Member
  • I make do with what I have
Re: Why do I have to cook so long?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:20 PM »
Welcome!

What type of cheese are you using?  A LMPS mozz works well to reduce moisture, also it could be your crushed tomatoes.  You can try whole peeled tomatoes torn apart and allowed to strain for about an hour in the fridge.

Offline dimeadip

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
I used Sargento LMPS sliced mozzarella from Publix.  Nothing special.  The slices seem quite dry.  Is there a particular mozzarella I should use?  Does spending the money on deli versions actually make a significant difference in flavor/texture?

Now that I'm thinking more about it, the onions and red peppers were very juicy.  Maybe I should try cooking them down on the stovetop first next time.  Thoughts anyone?

The picture was kind of an afterthought while I was cleaning the kitchen, but you can see it's a bit wet.

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
Nice job, man!

A lot of factors are at play here.  It's not super weird that it took 47 minutes: you're making a 50-lb casserole!!!   :D

But let's think about some possible causes. 
(1) Oven stuff -- How long did you preheat the stone?  On what rack was the stone?  How many times did you open the oven to peek at the pizza? 
(2) Pan -- What kind of pan were you using?  If too thick or something weird, it might take longer (cast iron, stoneware, airbake, etc.).
(3) Wetness of your pizza -- This would also make it cook longer.  Drain/strain your tomatoes and use less of them.  How much did you use, actually?  Also, you asked about the veggies.  I cook mine a little and then blot them dry with paper towel.  I know that restaurants don't really do this, but I don't have a restaurant oven, either.
(4) Amount of dough -- I know you were using VCB's recipe, but you might want to try dialing back the amount of dough.  His old recipe called for 544g of dough for a 14" pie.  The new one you're using says 690g.  That's a huge difference.  I like the thinner version of old.

Finally, you need to be using raw sausage.  This has nothing to do with your cook time: you just need to be doing it that way.   :chef:

It'll cook just fine.  I mean, it's in the oven for the better part of an hour.  Think about it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 01:13:42 PM by Garvey »

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
Looking again at your picture, you definitely used too much tomato product.  Look at some of the pictures posted here, or do a google image search for lou malnatis.  You'll see cheese peeking out amongst the dabs of tomato.

This is a typical deep dish problem: using too much tomato.  We've all done it.  I still do it sometimes.  When assembling, there is so much going into the pie.  It's got heft.  So it seems natural to slather on the tomato.  However, that is not the case.  Go with a light hand.  The key is using some really flavorful tomato product that you like.  Its brightness will stand out and balance the pie on flavor, not volume.  And those flavors will concentrate as the tomato dries out a little, since it's riding on top during the whole bake.

Offline vcb

• Real Deep Dish
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
Nice job, man!

A lot of factors are at play here.  It's not super weird that it took 47 minutes: you're making a 50-lb casserole!!!   :D

But let's think about some possible causes. 
(1) Oven stuff -- How long did you preheat the stone?  On what rack was the stone?  How many times did you open the oven to peek at the pizza? 
(2) Pan -- What kind of pan were you using?  If too thick or something weird, it might take longer (cast iron, stoneware, airbake, etc.).
(3) Wetness of your pizza -- This would also make it cook longer.  Drain/strain your tomatoes and use less of them.  How much did you use, actually?  Also, you asked about the veggies.  I cook mine a little and then blot them dry with paper towel.  I know that restaurants don't really do this, but I don't have a restaurant oven, either.
(4) Amount of dough -- I know you were using VCB's recipe, but you might want to try dialing back the amount of dough.  His old recipe called for 544g of dough for a 14" pie.  The new one you're using says 690g.  That's a huge difference.  I like the thinner version of old.

Finally, you need to be using raw sausage.  This has nothing to do with your cook time: you just need to be doing it that way.   :chef:

It'll cook just fine.  I mean, it's in the oven for the better part of an hour.  Think about it.

What Garvey said.
I think most of the weight difference from the old recipes to the new is from the water increase, but if you find that the dough conversions on page 3 of the current recipe are giving you too much dough, feel free to cut back on the dough for your preferred deep dish experience.

-- Ed Heller -aka- VCBurger -- Real Deep Dish - Deep Dish 101
http://www.realdeepdish.com/
http://facebook.com/realdeepdish/

MAKING PIZZA AT HOME?
USE THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
http://www.realdeepdish.com/deep-dish-equipment/

wordpress