A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Active dry yeast and The Pizza Bible  (Read 746 times)

Offline Kidbriar

• I Love Pizza!
Active dry yeast and The Pizza Bible
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:23:02 PM »
I've recently acquired The Pizza Bible and am reading through it before I even put my hands in flour. One question, however which I hope someone can help me with is about the conversion of dry active yeast to fresh yeast or bakers yeast as I believe it's called in the US. I always use the bakers percentage when weighing ingredients and always use fresh yeast in my pizza and bread making as it's widely available in the UK where I am.

When Tony says to use 4.5g active dry yeast to 453g flour which is 1%, on his suggestion of 2-3 times more when using fresh, I should use 9g which increases the percentage to 2%.

So, my question is this, do I stick to 1% or increase it to 2%. My concern is 2% yeast will give a quicker rise even in a fridge.

My gut instinct is to stick to 1% even when using fresh yeast, but I wondered if a seasoned pizza maker could help me out.

Thanks guys

Offline StateofMind

Re: Active dry yeast and The Pizza Bible
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
I'd stick to 1% for fresh yeast.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »
By using the same 1% you'll be off. Your thinking of 9g is correct. Convert using this: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yeast_converter.html
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:43:28 PM by HBolte »
Hans

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »
To convert to fresh yeast, multiply ADY by 2.4 or IDY by 3.2

For example, 10.8g of fresh yeast should perform the same as 4.5g ADY (4.5 x 2.4 = 10.8), AOTBE. If you don't make the adjustment, your activity will be significantly slower than had you used the specified amount of ADY. That may or may not be a bad/good thing.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Kidbriar

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 03:03:25 AM »
I'd stick to 1% for fresh yeast.
.  Yes, I think I will.  I've watched loads of You Tube videos of pizza making and most Italians when using fresh yeast and a long ferment actually use something like 0.5% to even 0.06% to 1.5kg of flour!  I'll just amend my proving times.  Thank you StateofMind

Offline Kidbriar

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 03:14:32 AM »
By using the same 1% you'll be off. Your thinking of 9g is correct. Convert using this: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversions_of_measures/yeast_converter.html
My limited experience has been that 9g is too much for a long ferment. As I've said in my reply above, I've seen recipes use fresh yeast at 0.5% to 0.06% to 1.5kg of flour.  In the past I've used 2% fresh yeast and that has given me a first bulk prove of 1 hour 45 mins to 2 hours and a second prove in dough ball form of 30-45 mins, both proves done in a refrigerator!

Thank you though for taking the time to respond HBolte, but I think I'll stick to 1% or less.

Offline Kidbriar

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:18:04 AM »
To convert to fresh yeast, multiply ADY by 2.4 or IDY by 3.2

For example, 10.8g of fresh yeast should perform the same as 4.5g ADY (4.5 x 2.4 = 10.8), AOTBE. If you don't make the adjustment, your activity will be significantly slower than had you used the specified amount of ADY. That may or may not be a bad/good thing.
Thanks for the link TXCraig1, but I'm going to stick with 1% or less of fresh yeast  when using Tony's recipes and adjust the proving times (through trial and error, but hey! More pizzas! 😉)

Offline 00rgiles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:14:59 PM »
Thanks for the link TXCraig1, but I'm going to stick with 1% or less of fresh yeast  when using Tony's recipes and adjust the proving times (through trial and error, but hey! More pizzas! 😉)
let us know how it goes. Just bought this now from Amazon UK so will be trying these out soon enough :-)

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »
I found a site that has a Yeast Conversion Table.
http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm?