A D V E R T I S E M E N T


Author Topic: All Trumps high hydration  (Read 380 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Georgev

  • Registered User
  • Posts: 7
  • Location: Philadelphia
  • I Love Pizza!
All Trumps high hydration
« on: July 01, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »
Hey guys. I currently make a ny style pizza with all trumps at about 61% hydration with a 2% oil and it comes out great. But I have been messing around with higher hydration and I can't seem to get good results with a 65-67% with all trumps. Do most people get better results with bread flour at that higher hydration?

Offline Pete-zza

  • Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • *
  • Posts: 26783
  • Location: Texas
  • Always learning
Re: All Trumps high hydration
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 04:27:12 PM »
Hey guys. I currently make a ny style pizza with all trumps at about 61% hydration with a 2% oil and it comes out great. But I have been messing around with higher hydration and I can't seem to get good results with a 65-67% with all trumps. Do most people get better results with bread flour at that higher hydration?
Georgev,

The All Trumps flour has a rated absorption value of about 63%. The oil also has a "wetting" effect, so with 61% hydration and 2% oil, or a  total of 63%, you are in line with the 63% rated absorption of the AT flour. But with 65-67% hydration and 2% oil, you are at 67-69%, which is considerably higher than 63%. Most quality bread flours have a rated absorption value of around 62%. So, at 2% oil, the above "total" numbers go up by another percent.

Many professionals who use the AT flour use hydration values that can be much lower than 63%. The lower values make it easier to open up dough balls into skins, which is a plus when the workers are not especially skilled or turnover is high. Also, professionals who use the AT to make the New York style of pizza don't go overboard with the oil. Typical amounts are up to about 3%.

Peter

A D V E R T I S E M E N T


 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T