A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: caputo 00 chef's vs pizzeria  (Read 460 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
caputo 00 chef's vs pizzeria
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
Performed a forum search, came away more confused. I'm generally finding chef's available at retail (whole foods) but can purchase repacks on amazon of either. Planning to cook on the bs at about 900, is there a preference?

to be honest, I'd thought about starting with caputo and then moving to unmalted ap. given the cost and lack of availability of caputo, maybe I should reverse the process, making my mistakes less costly.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:47:46 PM by quietdesperation »
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: caputo 00 chef's vs pizzeria
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:18:24 PM »
AOTBE, I'd use Pizzeria over Chef for pizza, but it's unlikely you'll notice much of a difference. Chef is a bit stronger (higher W) and has a little more protein. Pizzeria is a higher quality flour (tighter ranges on the specs). You can find the spec sheets at caputoflour.com

I think starting with an unmalted AP is a good plan - or even starting with KAAP or GMAP at 790-800F/1:30-1:45 bake. You can get a heck of a lot of good flour-independant experience making a hundred or so pies with less expensive flour. Make more dough than you need and make marinara pizza at the end of your bakes with your extra sauce. The additional cost is a trivial expense for the experience you'll get.

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: caputo 00 chef's vs pizzeria
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 07:39:20 PM »
that sounds like a great plan, thanks!
"Pizza is a lot like sex. When it's good, it's really good. When it's bad, it's still pretty good." - Woody Allen