A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: oven for deep dish  (Read 609 times)

Offline EugenePizzaLover

• I Love Pizza!
oven for deep dish
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:12:54 AM »
Hello
May i ask you
I want to make deep dish pizza in my restaurant, what kind of oven is suitable for it most of all, in your opinion?
Thank you

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
Re: oven for deep dish
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »
Well, the first thing I was going to suggest is that you also ask over in the "Shop Talk" sub-forum, but it looks like you already did.  You said you have an electric deck oven?  If I can make great deep dish in my home oven, I don't see why your electric deck wouldn't be great.  Most deep dish places use gas decks, but close enough.

When you say "most suitable," that sounds like it could be more of a business question than a food question.   A deep dish will occupy space in the oven for 25-35 minutes or more, depending on size, temp, etc.   

Offline EugenePizzaLover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:44:21 AM »
Thank you, what do you think about wood-fired brick oven for deep dish?

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:05:30 AM »
There are people on here who've done it.  But you'd have to run the oven a lot cooler than I imagine you'd normally run it.  Again, from a commercial perspective, can you give up that much oven space in a WFO to essentially bake a casserole?

Offline EugenePizzaLover

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »
If it makes taste better

Offline PizzaGarage

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »
Deep Dish needs to cook low and slow, 425-450 degrees - at least a "proper" Chicago DD.  The WFO might give you some additional flavor on the top side during the bake, but you will be unable to cook the dough properly as there is not enough time to bake it.

If I were to try such a thing I would need to extend the cook time in a super hot oven by making sure the pan does not touch the floor and my pan was covered with foil during part of the bake.  Removing for the last 2 mins of the bake or maybe less depending on temp.    So, I would use no oil in the pan, the pan would need to be placed on say several screens and a layer of thick foil on the top screen.  My pan would then go on top of the foil and would be covered with foil and crimped on the sides with a small vent hole on top.  I would see if my dough would cook by giving this 10 min and removing to see what happened, then continue to experiment with timing.  The WFO will only flavor the top (sides) of the crust and top of the pizza so some exposure would be necessary (foil removed).

You can probably invent something using commercial heat resistant materials and play with covering the pan with the same material and removing to get the flavor you want.  "Traditional" DD is not designed for WFO - but if you can figure something out you might be able to pull off a unique pizza.  Like use the pan and a thinner crust and call it a WFO Deep Dish or Fire Deep Dish for a marketing brand etc....

wordpress