A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Spiral or planetary? Which one is suitable for deep dish?  (Read 337 times)

Offline Oni2click

• I Love Pizza!
Spiral or planetary? Which one is suitable for deep dish?
« on: November 06, 2017, 01:50:32 AM »
Can't decide which type of mixer to buy? Anyone? Thank you

Offline enchant

• Supporting Member
  • World-class pizza maker in the making
Re: Spiral or planetary? Which one is suitable for deep dish?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:30:10 PM »
Perhaps I just don't understand, but that sounds like a "Do you walk to school or carry a lunch" question.  I believe that those two features are independent of each other.  The planetary mixer has a rotating beater (or whatever) that moves around the bowl AS it spins.  Spiral is a type of dough hook that spirals down from the top.  It has the effect of pushing down on the dough as it spins to inhibit it from climbing up the hook like it does on the Kitchenaid 'C' dough hook.
--pat--

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 01:40:39 PM »
Planetary mixers work for dough, and you can also mix sauce and sausage, and they have an attachment hub that can drive mixers, slicers, shredders etc. for ingredient prep.

Spiral mixers are great for dough, and only dough, and almost never have an attachment hub. I think I saw one Mecnosud that *did* have a hub, but you could buy a separate planetary *just* for the hub, for less than the upcharge.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Online Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
Perhaps I just don't understand, but that sounds like a "Do you walk to school or carry a lunch" question.  I believe that those two features are independent of each other.  The planetary mixer has a rotating beater (or whatever) that moves around the bowl AS it spins.  Spiral is a type of dough hook that spirals down from the top.  It has the effect of pushing down on the dough as it spins to inhibit it from climbing up the hook like it does on the Kitchenaid 'C' dough hook.

You have it in reverse.  ;)
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 08:05:02 PM »
Are you opening a restaurant or buying for home?

:-D :-D :-D

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress