A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Malnati's-like Dough Repair Question  (Read 354 times)

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
Malnati's-like Dough Repair Question
« on: November 23, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
Hey Folks,

I made a dough last night:

100% All Purpose Flour
45% Water
15% Corn Oil
8% Butter
.75% yeast

I had a non-baker helper who poured the oil into the flour, where it sat for about ten minutes. Then the softened butter was dumped into the oil/flour bowl, it was not mixed at all, and the whole thing was dumped into the water and yeast. There were quite a few oil and flour clumps that had to be kneaded out. They simply did not want to break up and mix well, so the dough got more kneading than I would have preferred.

I let it rise until doubled, punched it down, into the fridge overnight, punched it down this morning, back into the fridge, and there it will sit until Saturday evening, and I'll take it out a couple of hours before I use it.

Question: has it been kneaded too much to bother? Normally I use the pastry blender to take care of the flour, oil, and butter, but that didn't happen this time. Any thoughts on the outcome? Of course I can remake it, but that seems like a waste.

Thoughts?

Offline PapaLous

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Malnati's-like Dough Repair Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:34:08 PM »
Oh for cryin' out loud, I ALSO just realized that I used total final weight (750g) to calculate the percentages instead of the weight of the flour. I kept thinking, "Seems like a lot of yeast," etc.

NOW where does that leave me? I think it's probably dough throwing-away time.

Dang. That will teach me to be making dough at midnight when I'm half asleep. Sheesh.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:58:04 AM »
see how it feels.  i often use more yeast because i am not sure of the quality.  more yeast won't necessarily ruin the dough.....see how it handles and spreads out in the pan if it pulls back a lot it may be over worked.  probably smells like beer!  yum!!
"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
So what happened?  Did you eat it or dump it?

Tom L, the Dough Doctor himself, once explained that the high fat of DD dough inhibits yeast activity to some extent, so you might have been ok on that front.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress