A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: pizza class  (Read 4096 times)

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
pizza class
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
I had signed up for the pizza class by Rosetta Costantino before I found this forum. As I had already payed, I am going today and its at emeryville. Will update how good it is.

Offline live4u

Re: pizza class
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »
It was an ok class. It definitely gives some good insights and she does home cooking so all authentic neopalitan methods but the ovens were commercial electric so pizza came out crispy and some had to cook morethan 10 min.

Two interesting points
1) She added good amount of yeast so she got the bulk rise which doubled the ball in 2 hrs and after balling, 1 hr time, there was good rise.
2) She said caputo 00 flour is really good but 5 times expensive and is over rated. She uses central milling organic AF from costco and it really was like 00.

Ram

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
This is why taking a pizza class is such a dicey proposition. Who knows if the people "teaching" these classes know anything about making great pizza. This person certainly doesn't appear to know much.  Just because someone is a good cook doesn't mean they know anything about making great (or even good) pizza. It sounds like everything she told you was wrong and/or mis/uninformed. I'd guess pretty much every regular member here knows more about making pizza than the vast majority of people teaching pizza classes.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline live4u

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »
This is why taking a pizza class is such a dicey proposition. Who knows if the people "teaching" these classes know anything about making great pizza. This person certainly doesn't appear to know much.  Just because someone is a good cook doesn't mean they know anything about making great (or even good) pizza. It sounds like everything she told you was wrong and/or mis/uninformed. I'd guess pretty much every regular member here knows more about making pizza than the vast majority of people teaching pizza classes.
Amen that! I signed up for this like 6 months ago before I landed here and i wont get my money back if I cancel :) Yes, no weighing and everything was TSP or tsp measurements. Whats interesting was, as I quoted in my first post, Anthony mentioned about dough rise for 2 hours to shape it and she did exactly the same thing (well 3 hrs in this case) to get the rise (she added 1/2 tsp of ADY and hence that rise if I assume). Also the central mills flour was matching 00 caputo. Did anyone try central mills?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
To paraphrase H.L. Menken:

Those who can - do
Those who cannot - teach
Those who cannot teach become bloggers

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »

Those who can - do
Those who cannot - teach

Those who can, and do, and can also teach, and believe in passing along skills without charging come here.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline surgtech2006

• Make Pizza, not war
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 12:53:36 PM »
Those who can, and do, and can also teach, and believe in passing along skills without charging come here.

That being said, where in NYC/Long Island area might a guy go to get his hands on some dough and a little preliminary instruction?

Apologies for jacking your post, OP.. ;)

Offline misterschu

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »
That being said, where in NYC/Long Island area might a guy go to get his hands on some dough and a little preliminary instruction?

Apologies for jacking your post, OP.. ;)

There's a place in the lower east side called pizza a casa. I only went because my company was sponsoring an outing for employees. The guy there taught some good techniques for stretching pies. He repeated some misinformation in the course of his spiel. It's an hour plus class and he needs to be entertaining/educating for the duration of it, he needs to talk non-stop and some of what he says isn't accurate. he does not prescribe what flour to use which is nice. he does a quick dough-mixing show without much substance, no direction on how it should feel when its done, and then showed a strange balling technique. He then skips to dough that had been made before the class, that was not even density (i think because of the balling technique).

Offline surgtech2006

• Make Pizza, not war
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
Thanks misterschu.. im going to start a diff thread so as not to wreck the OP's thread!
Meanwhile, I saw that place online, looks like a speed dating pizza class lol.

Offline tomek007

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »

Those who can - do
Those who cannot - teach

I know it was posted a long time ago, but I would like to make a little offtopic, because I've just experienced a funny coincidence. I've read this post today, two hours ago, for the first time and right now I am reading a book from 1982. And in that book there is almost the same quote, however it is referenced to Bernard Shaw (He who can does, he who cannot, teaches). Thanks for reading.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 10:04:00 AM »
apologies, my mencken quote was off topic.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:29:55 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »
The last line of the quote as I remember it, also paraphrased:

"And those who can't teach become administrators"

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
My observations of academia recently suggest the last line should read:

"And those who can't teach teach teachers. "

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
I remembered it as "those who can't teach, teach gym." (Woody Allen - "Annie Hall")
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

wordpress