A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Pizzeria & Restaurant Reviews / Out of the way Pizza joints ...
« Last post by Rainier42 on Today at 10:20:18 AM »
As I am sure you all do, whenever I travel I am always on the lookout for great pizza.  It is always a joy, and a surprise, when I find it in some corner of the country where my expectations were low.  Two of my favorite are Flatbread Company in North Conway, NH and Pies and Pints in Fayetteville, WV.  Have any of you ever been to these?  What are your out of the way pizza joints?
Neapolitan Style / Re: SD starter vs. little yeast
« Last post by amolapizza on Today at 10:17:35 AM »
I don't know anything about sourdough starters but a bit about working with fresh yeast.  IMO the amount of yeast used needs to take into account the temperature, hydration, salt level, age of yeast, etc.  This of course makes it very difficult to give an authorative answer of how many percent to use for a recipie.  Many pizzaioli state that it might even vary daily, so my guess it's that it's question of experience to know exactly how much to use...

I've found this calculator to be very useful to get a good starting point: http://www.mightypizzaoven.com/bakers-percentage-calculator/
Neapolitan Style / Re: SD starter vs. little yeast
« Last post by TXCraig1 on Today at 10:14:43 AM »
Can the pizza made using very little fresh yeast ... have as much bacterial development as the Ischia sourdough when both are fermented at room temp for 24 hours?

No. With even a tiny amount of starter, you are adding orders of magnitude more bacteria than those naturally present in the flour and fresh yeast.
May be heading out to Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks.  If so, will be sure to give one of these places a try.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by Rainier42 on Today at 10:10:27 AM »
My 100th bake since July 2015  :chef:  (Technically my 118th bake all-time with a handful of bakes in 2011 after I first found the forum).

My wife hasn't really been eating my pizza the last year or so, but has been with me along the journey and decided to participate tonight. Her words were, "It's ridiculous...like the perfect amount of everything. Now I see why you make it every weekend."   :D

16" New England Greek in a pan

Looks great!  What kind of sauce/cheese used?
American Style / Re: Pete-zza's Papa John's Clone Pizza
« Last post by Pete-zza on Today at 10:06:27 AM »
MadMatt,

Have you been measuring the finished dough temperature and, if so, what have you been getting? And, to refresh my recollection, which recipe have you been using that has created the problem you are experiencing and how long have you been fermenting the dough?

Peter

Focaccia Style / Re: Pizza alla romana in teglia
« Last post by amolapizza on Today at 10:05:58 AM »
@amolapizza,

I think achieving a final dough temperature of around 24C really helps regulate the fermentation of the dough.  One of the challenges I've found in making this type pf pizza is achieving the right degree of extensibility in the dough, which will really help with getting an even stretch in the pan.  If interested, the videos of Pino Arletto on Youtube are good examples of how to handle the dough properly.  All in all, your pizza looks good.

I did manage to make it fit the pan without any problems, been watching some Bonci videos :)

What puzzles me a little is that it contracted slightly while cooking, so ended up smaller than the pan.  Am going to have to study a bit more, or maybe it's normal?
Focaccia Style / Re: Pizza alla romana in teglia
« Last post by amolapizza on Today at 10:02:53 AM »
Hi amolapizza,

Just to confirm -if you speak French, cake yeast is levure fraiche de boulanger, no ? I don't know why it is called "cake" yeast in English  ???

Was it ok to get to 80% hydration with these flours ?
Dough looks good anyway !

Yes I'm pretty sure that refers to the same yeast.  And like already noted it's probably called cake yeast as you can/could by it like a big cake, not because it's meant for baking cakes with.  In italian it's called lievito di birra, beer yeast.

One observation though (which I've never seen discussed) is that there appears to be differences between cake yeast depending on where you buy it.  Here in Luxembourg we normally get Belgian yeast, it's grey and I don't like it because it makes the dough smell (imo) bad, though once baked I can't tell the difference.  My friend who used to have a pizzeria calls it schwartz hefe (black yeast).

I buy my yeast in an Italian shop and it is beige instead and the dough just smells fresh instead, no bad odour.  http://www.giallozafferano.it/images/prodotti/lievito_di_birra380m.jpg

80% hydro + oil is already very different from the 60-70% dough I'm used to making for bread and pizza, but it handled well without any bigger problems.  I think the secret in high hydration dough is the mixing technique and a flour that will accept a lot of water.
Neapolitan Style / SD starter vs. little yeast
« Last post by Pizzaman143 on Today at 10:02:21 AM »
When comparing the flavor of a pizza made using a sourdough starter (for example Ischia) versus one made using VERY little yeast (fresh yeast)- when all other conditions / ingredients are the same- what are the major flavor profile differences? Can the pizza made using very little fresh yeast be just as good in flavor and have as much bacterial development as the Ischia sourdough when both are fermented at room temp for 24 hours? What is the ideal percent of fresh yeast that should be used when fermenting it at room temp for 24 hours to make it have the best flavor? 0.15%? And the ideal percent of Ischia sourdough for maximum flavor should be at 3%?
Ask the Dough Doctor / Re: Me again Tom...
« Last post by joeborg on Today at 09:54:54 AM »
Thanks tom as always. I followed your directions exactly except for the 2.5hrs uncovered in the cooler. I let go for 45 mins for the fact I wouldn't be able to come back that night to cover. Would that effect the dough balls and what does that process exactly do?  The dough tasted great the only problem I had is when we set out to get to room temp they flattened out...am I using to much yeast. They blew up pretty good after the 48 hr cooler time. For 7lbs of flour I'm using 12 grams of idy. With a 62%hydration rate. I'm gonna give boxes another try. I took a pic before going in cooler not after
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20