Pages:
Actions
  • #41 by Essen1 on 29 Jul 2017
  • The way the reviews sound I'm glad I didn't dish out any money for this book. Also, from the reviews I've read on Amazon, the book was four years in the making.

Maybe it was rushed in the end due to pressure from the publisher?
  • #42 by Oldwood on 29 Jul 2017
  • All the hoopla and speculation about Chris's book be known soon ..Amazon sez it's in the mail...
  • #43 by werty20 on 29 Jul 2017
  • #44 by DoouBall on 30 Jul 2017
  • Well, the dough recipe was a bit of a dissapointment as it doesn't cover how Chris uses old dough in his restaurant, and instead offers a simple straight dough recipe. Still, since I already bought it, might as well try - I made a Margherita and a Sunny Boy (Margherita with Soppresatta and Olives). The only modifications I made to this same day dough is using Fresh Yeast instead of Active Dry as that is what Chris mentioned using during his interviews. I also put the fully fermented dough balls in the fridge for a couple of hours while I had to step out and warmed them back up to room temp about 2 hours prior to baking. I used Central Milling 00 Reinforced Flour (an organic flour with 13-14 percent protein as Chris recommends).

I cooked these at about 650F on the Blackstone Oven for about 4 minutes each - this is a guesstimation of the parameters Chris uses. Anyone have a better idea how hot he runs his oven and how long he cooks each pizza?

Results: I enjoyed the texture and flavor of the Margherita with Chris's hand crushed tomato sauce using Bianco DiNapoli whole tomatoes. On the whole, these were sweeter and less sour than San Marzanos. The pizza, at 288g each and only 10" diameter, had a nice bready texture with big open holes. I also really liked Chris's reminder that basil tossed on the pizza after it comes out of the oven has more aroma than if you put it in before the pizza goes into the oven. The toppings and sauce had a great flavor but the crust, as expected, was a little bland. The Sunny Boy didn't come out well - the Soppresatta was extremely salty and overpowered everything else. The olives were very salty and briny and after cooking this became too intense. I used fewer of each than Chris recommends, but the flavor was still too strong and did not blend well with the bland base.

After thoughts: This confirmed that we personally still like the Neapolitan style pizza better. The very smooth texture of tomatoes passed through the food mill and pizza baked fast and hot creates an integrated, melt in your mouth feel for the Margherita vs the more textured and bready results from Bianco's approach. I imagine that this style, executed by a master, might also be delicious - but for us, we still prefer the Neapolitan style using TxCraig's sourdough recipe best, no matter how many other recipes we try. Hope this helps others thinking about whether to buy the book.
  • #45 by MisterPKM on 31 Jul 2017
  • The way the reviews sound I'm glad I didn't dish out any money for this book. Also, from the reviews I've read on Amazon, the book was four years in the making.

Maybe it was rushed in the end due to pressure from the publisher?

I've been waiting years for this book and am becoming convinced Bianco didn't write a word in it. Incidently, the dessert section seems to be the most interesting and the only section that doesn't look like it was taken from a no-name magazine from a grocery store checkout line.
  • #46 by Oldwood on 02 Aug 2017
  • Real nice book with good family stories of recipes. I never bought this book thinking that I was going to get Chris's "double dark secret pizza recipe " but you can see his main secret is loving what you do and share with others as pizzamakiing.com forum does..if you don't want to buy it get it through an inner library loan...it's a good read...
  • #47 by hotsawce on 23 Aug 2017
  • The dough weight for the size is way off. It's speculated for his 12" pizzas, he uses anywhere from 230g to 270g of dough. I know the pizza I ate wasn't nearly as bready as the above.

I have better luck looking on instagram at the tags for his restaurant - I can post some pictures of the dough balls and some pre stretched dough.

If i had to guess, its anywhere from 60% to 63% hydration and very well proofed.
  • #48 by werty20 on 23 Aug 2017

• #49 by DoouBall on 23 Aug 2017
  • werty20, thanks for sharing the clip!

at 5:10, you can see that Bianco is using Pacific Sun Farms Eva's Blend Olive Oil, at least for this video. 

https://pacificsunoliveoil.com/product/evas-blend-extra-virgin-olive-oil/?attribute_pa_size=500ml-bottle

at 6:20 he mentions that it's a 228 g ball for a 12 oz ball. I think he probably meant to say 228g ball for a 12" pizza?
  • #50 by hotsawce on 24 Aug 2017
  • 230g for 12" pizza would make sense to me. I made a pizza at 250g for 12" today to see if I could come close to what I had at Bianco and it was almost spot on, but a little thick.

His dough balls, from what I've seen for that weight, are very well proofed by the time they are stretched. Judging by the relatively pale crust color and how slack the dough is, the yeast really go to town. Probably a nice amount of fresh yeast and an overnight dough with a short bulk ferment before balling.

I have to say, the DiNapoli tomatoes are far and away the best I've used and it's not even close. The nearly-double cost compared to other tomatoes is worth it...
  • #51 by DoouBall on 24 Aug 2017
  • I really like the Bianco DiNapoli Organic tomatoes as well - hand crushed for his style of pizza they are awesome. When making Neapolitan pizza, I still prefer San Marzanos such as Strianese or Cento passed through a food mill to create a silkier and more tangy melt in your mouth texture.

On another note, Bianco mentions in this video that he's using Organic Yeast (looks granulated). The only organic dry yeast that I've found is this one. Has anyone tried that and found an improvement in taste over SAF/Red Star/Fleischmann's?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQBBZL1/?tag=pmak-20
  • #52 by Pete-zza on 24 Aug 2017
  • I really like the Bianco DiNapoli Organic tomatoes as well - hand crushed for his style of pizza they are awesome. When making Neapolitan pizza, I still prefer San Marzanos such as Strianese or Cento passed through a food mill to create a silkier and more tangy melt in your mouth texture.

On another note, Bianco mentions in this video that he's using Organic Yeast (looks granulated). The only organic dry yeast that I've found is this one. Has anyone tried that and found an improvement in taste over SAF/Red Star/Fleischmann's?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQBBZL1/?tag=pmak-20
    Alex,

If you go to https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=40212.msg401012#msg401012, you will an entry I recently added under the Yeast section at http://www.bakingbusiness.com/Features/Formulations/2016/12/Getting-creative-with-yeast.aspx that discusses some of the ins and outs of organic yeast.

Peter
  • #53 by DoouBall on 24 Aug 2017
  • Thanks Pete!
  • #54 by jsaras on 24 Aug 2017
  • I have better luck looking on instagram at the tags for his restaurant - I can post some pictures of the dough balls and some pre stretched dough.

Have you seen my photos? 

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/PizzeriaBianco_06_08_2015/index.html

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/PizzeriaBianco_11_11_2015/index.html

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com/PhoenixPizza_11_24_2014/index.html

I also took this brief video:

• #55 by DoouBall on 24 Aug 2017
  • Great pics! Thanks for posting. Those really do look a lot thinner and softer than I expected based on the book.
  • #56 by hotsawce on 25 Aug 2017
  • They aren't necessarily soft... I think just well proofed, so the yeast have gone to town. I'm willing to bet if he used less yeast he'd have a bit of a tighter dough, more deeply colored, a little bit more char on the bottom.

Just the way he can hold the dough and let gravity stretch it tells me the gluten has started to degrade...at least that's what happened the last time my yeast became overactive. Super well proofed dough that was brown but relatively pale in color and very fragile dough that was extremely slack.

Great pics! Thanks for posting. Those really do look a lot thinner and softer than I expected based on the book.
  • #57 by werty20 on 25 Aug 2017
  • what i really like is his workflow ..
    flour , water then yeast , 20min rest .. knead for about 8 minute 
    bulk ferment for 1 day , ball

like TXCraig1 said
    Too long in balls leads to dough that is too extensible, pulls too thin, tears easily. The bulk step lets you control the elasticity of a dough fermented >12 hours.
  • #58 by hotsawce on 28 Aug 2017
  • I wasn't aware he bulk fermented for 1 day. Where did you get that info?

I did a bulk ferment on my normal dough overnight in the cooler. It was really soft when I balled the next day, and the balls were kind of "rough" looking. Not as smooth as those balled immediately. They stretched fine. Wonder why that was.

what i really like is his workflow ..
    flour , water then yeast , 20min rest .. knead for about 8 minute 
    bulk ferment for 1 day , ball

like TXCraig1 said
  • #59 by werty20 on 28 Aug 2017
  • I wasn't aware he bulk fermented for 1 day. Where did you get that info?
    in his video .. 5.10
  • #60 by hotsawce on 28 Aug 2017
  • Room temp for an hour then in the fridge overnight. I wonder if that's how it's done in the restaurant?

in his video .. 5.10
Pages:
Actions