A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Bianco's pizza book  (Read 8703 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
Re: Bianco's pizza book
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
The way the reviews sound I'm glad I didn't dish out any money for this book. Also, from the reviews I've read on Amazon, the book was four years in the making.

Maybe it was rushed in the end due to pressure from the publisher?
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Oldwood

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »
All the hoopla and speculation about Chris's book be known soon ..Amazon sez it's in the mail...

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2017, 06:02:55 PM »

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »
Well, the dough recipe was a bit of a dissapointment as it doesn't cover how Chris uses old dough in his restaurant, and instead offers a simple straight dough recipe. Still, since I already bought it, might as well try - I made a Margherita and a Sunny Boy (Margherita with Soppresatta and Olives). The only modifications I made to this same day dough is using Fresh Yeast instead of Active Dry as that is what Chris mentioned using during his interviews. I also put the fully fermented dough balls in the fridge for a couple of hours while I had to step out and warmed them back up to room temp about 2 hours prior to baking. I used Central Milling 00 Reinforced Flour (an organic flour with 13-14 percent protein as Chris recommends).

I cooked these at about 650F on the Blackstone Oven for about 4 minutes each - this is a guesstimation of the parameters Chris uses. Anyone have a better idea how hot he runs his oven and how long he cooks each pizza?

Results: I enjoyed the texture and flavor of the Margherita with Chris's hand crushed tomato sauce using Bianco DiNapoli whole tomatoes. On the whole, these were sweeter and less sour than San Marzanos. The pizza, at 288g each and only 10" diameter, had a nice bready texture with big open holes. I also really liked Chris's reminder that basil tossed on the pizza after it comes out of the oven has more aroma than if you put it in before the pizza goes into the oven. The toppings and sauce had a great flavor but the crust, as expected, was a little bland. The Sunny Boy didn't come out well - the Soppresatta was extremely salty and overpowered everything else. The olives were very salty and briny and after cooking this became too intense. I used fewer of each than Chris recommends, but the flavor was still too strong and did not blend well with the bland base.

After thoughts: This confirmed that we personally still like the Neapolitan style pizza better. The very smooth texture of tomatoes passed through the food mill and pizza baked fast and hot creates an integrated, melt in your mouth feel for the Margherita vs the more textured and bready results from Bianco's approach. I imagine that this style, executed by a master, might also be delicious - but for us, we still prefer the Neapolitan style using TxCraig's sourdough recipe best, no matter how many other recipes we try. Hope this helps others thinking about whether to buy the book.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:00:00 AM by DoouBall »

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »
The way the reviews sound I'm glad I didn't dish out any money for this book. Also, from the reviews I've read on Amazon, the book was four years in the making.

Maybe it was rushed in the end due to pressure from the publisher?

I've been waiting years for this book and am becoming convinced Bianco didn't write a word in it. Incidently, the dessert section seems to be the most interesting and the only section that doesn't look like it was taken from a no-name magazine from a grocery store checkout line.

Offline Oldwood

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »
Real nice book with good family stories of recipes. I never bought this book thinking that I was going to get Chris's "double dark secret pizza recipe " but you can see his main secret is loving what you do and share with others as pizzamakiing.com forum does..if you don't want to buy it get it through an inner library loan...it's a good read...

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #46 on: Today at 01:12:35 AM »
The dough weight for the size is way off. It's speculated for his 12" pizzas, he uses anywhere from 230g to 270g of dough. I know the pizza I ate wasn't nearly as bready as the above.

I have better luck looking on instagram at the tags for his restaurant - I can post some pictures of the dough balls and some pre stretched dough.

If i had to guess, its anywhere from 60% to 63% hydration and very well proofed.

Offline werty20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: Today at 03:21:57 AM »